Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2014 5:38:50 AM EDT
Anyone else having problems with the new Gen III CMMG mag?
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 5:51:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I do not have any of the new ones, but I have read the new ones are even worse than the last version, which I did own. I do not have it anymore.

I now use SW 15-22 ones and a boonie adapter,  most others discovered this before me and I also wasted money on CMMG mags... I was late comer, but they are  the best thing going.

Easy to load, reliable last shot hold open and inexpensive mags to boot..I think I paid 19.00 for my last SW out the door at a Local Show..

Only other mags we use are the BlackDog 50 round drums. Those are also easy to load and very reliable. No last Shot Hold Open with those though..

I would see if you can get your money back
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 7:26:52 AM EDT
[#2]
They are, sadly much worse than the older mags. Ive not been able to empty an single mag, that's if I can get them in my gun!

My supplier has already offered to take them back and send me a Black Dog to give it a try.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 12:56:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Basically they suck and your findings are common. See the below thread. I've gone S&W with the adapter.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_15/637870_CMMG_s_New_Magazine_and_a_Little_More__Full_Auto_Video_Added___.html
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 2:48:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not sure what Gen my CMMG mags are, but their almost impossible to load 25 rounds in. They are the BHO type. I' have 6 of them and usually load them with only 15 rounds to save my thumb.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 4:41:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Unless you come across the first Gen grey mags with green followers, don't waste your money.
CMMG obviously can't get mags right.
If they would stop concentrating on making the BHOA work, which it doesn't anyhow, they could possibly make a decent mag.
Back to the first Gen.

I'm thinking "Back to what worked and worked well"

Or just get the S & W mags with the Boonie Packer Adapter. Works first time every time. And the mags are easy to load

Dave N
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 5:18:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Same issue here.  Impossible to load and couldn't get through without failures.  Switched to S&W mags with the adapter and haven't looked back.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 7:30:48 PM EDT
[#7]
S&W mags + Better Mag = best solution for a fully functional manual of arms. This setup works for me 99.95% of the time.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 7:38:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I like the S&W 15-22 mags and had I have started with them, I would have stayed with them exclusively but I got a good deal on the Black Dog mags so I stocked up.

I've got some of the older CMMG mags and they work ok but I don't like the fact that I can't see how many rounds are remaining.

My Black Dog mags work fine though I find it hard to get the full capacity without the spring binding so I tend to underload by 1 to 2 rounds.

The Black Dog drums work great and are easy to load.  They are what I like best.

Here is a video from tonight using a Black Dog drum on full auto.

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 5:37:50 AM EDT
[#9]
I really like the drums we have. Found some on sale just yesterday for 49.00.. Cheapest I have ever seen them. May get a couple more..
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:46:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I really like the drums we have. Found some on sale just yesterday for 49.00.. Cheapest I have ever seen them. May get a couple more..
View Quote

I believe that was Midway that had them on sale, right?

Last Sept. was the cheapest I've seen them when Midway had them for $43.13.  (I just looked up my receipt in my email.)

Despite having quite the quantity of 15-22 mags, at that price I picked up 4 drums.

See pic below from mags loaded for shooting this past Monday night.

Link Posted: 4/9/2014 2:42:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Last Sept. was the cheapest I've seen them when Midway had them for $43.13.  (I just looked up my receipt in my email.)

Despite having quite the quantity of 15-22 mags, at that price I picked up 4 drums.

http://i1335.photobucket.com/albums/w676/8afuzzball/CAM00918_zps7cwv9qeh.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sir - you are truly ready for the zombies!

YMMV
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 3:08:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

YMMV

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

YMMV

Sadly all those mags are empty now as we went through 1,700 rounds that night.  Of course the Zombies still wouldn't want to mess with me.  

Here is a pic from the prior range visit.  After I took the pic I figured it wasn't enough so I loaded up some more mags.  In total I went to the range with 49 loaded mags and within an hour, they were empty.

All that ammo was used up testing an electronic shooting range.  They have a shot sensitive "movie screen" that you shoot through that a HD projector puts your targets on.  They have a shooting gallery where you hit targets and see they fall over.  There is an apple orchard where you hit the apples and they fall down.  There is a 3x3 grid of targets with some shoot and some no-shoot targets.  My favorite was "save the earth" where the earth is in the center of the screen and asteroids must be shot (to break them up) prior to them hitting the earth.  I went through 122 shots in one round of save the earth.

Pics taken from their Facebook page:

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 11:37:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks guy's for all the advice its appreciated. Ive got a SIG mag coming today to see how that works (Ive been told it works well), I'll also try and see if I can get hold of a S&W mag and may see if I can get a Catch 22 shipped over.

Its a crying shame that CMMG just cant make a reliable mag! Lets hope they get it right soon
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 8:37:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote

At that rate of fire, you almost miss the whole thing!  Too bad you can't slow it down a little.

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:34:18 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

At that rate of fire, you almost miss the whole thing!  Too bad you can't slow it down a little.

Here is one shot in slow motion.

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 5:44:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks like the older CMMG mags on sale for $9.99.

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 10:06:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Those are actually pretty decent mags. I think those are the last good ones CMMG made. Well maybe the only ones. I dyed the ones we had with black rit dye.

No last shot hold open but they do work atleast..
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 10:43:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Last year for Christmas I received a CMMG Evolution conversion bolt and it came in a blister pack with 3 CMMG magazines.I'm not sure what model magazines I have but they have been flawless from day 1 and I load 25 rounds but it's tuff to get the last 3 or 4 rounds in.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 11:23:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Gray CMMG mags, BDM mags, Ciener steel mags - all have run well in my uppers.

Getting some S&W 15-22 mags and the adaptor to check it out as everyone has posted glowing reports.

S&W mags are expensive on Ebay but I bought a few anyway.

Just got a Midway "In Stock" notification for the short 10rd mags...opened message less than 10 minutes after it was sent...the S&W mags are already sold out!

YMMV
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 1:13:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Just bought some SW mags at the Local Gun Show, for 19.00 apiece. The price really dropped on them and they are much more available now..
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 3:54:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Just bought some SW mags at the Local Gun Show, for 19.00 apiece. The price really dropped on them and they are much more available now..
View Quote

Are your's the long or short mags?

Dang it!  I need the short 10 rd mags.

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:00:12 PM EDT
[#22]
The 25 rounders. Couple cheap places..14.00 at Palmetto
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/accessories/magazines/sw-mp-15-22-22-lr-magazine.html
http://www.tacticalinc.com/sw-mp-1522-22-long-rifle-25-round-polymer-black-p-1462.html
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:45:11 PM EDT
[#23]
If any of you guys get a beat on some 10 round shorties let me know.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 8:23:59 PM EDT
[#24]
I have some CMMG Gen II that run fine in my CMMG 18" upper. I run black dog in all my TACCOM uppers. I think I have 4 Gen I CMMG, 6 Gen II CMMG, 10 SS feed lip and 10 nylon feed lips of the black dog.  The Gen I CMMG will work with my TACCOM stuff.

MAHA
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 2:22:43 AM EDT
[#25]
For $9.95 a piece, I would pick up some CMMG Gen 1's.
Dave N
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 3:14:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Have you guys tried out these Chiappa/ATI mags? The thumb slide makes loading a breeze.

http://s30.postimg.org/o9797twkx/clip.jpg
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 12:28:42 PM EDT
[#27]
The SW have those too, but I believe the SW MP 15-22 mags would be a much wiser choice over anything from Chiappa in my humble opinion..

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 12:31:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Mike and LOSD sent you a PM where to get some ten round shortys. They are kinda hard to find. Says they are in stock so good luck..
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 3:35:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks for the lead.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:34:38 PM EDT
[#30]
You guys better hurry though...The CA guys will grab those really quick I think..
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:09:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Got a few of the short S&W mags and the Boonie Packer adaptor.

Sure doesn't look like it should work but it does lock back.  The bolt release is a little sticky in mine but the proof is in the shooting.

Greased the Redi-Mag bolt stop and will try to get out this weekend to try the mags.

I've got a pile of BDM, Ciener and CMMG mags so I'll keep using them but if the S&W mags work out - I'll be running them too.

YMMV

Edited to add:  "Pile" in my case is about 20....nothing like 8afuzzball.  

10 rounders only - we can't have pistol mags over 10 rounds.  

So if someone sold a pistol version of a rifle (AR, AK, M1 carbine, 10/22(!!!), etc.  - the mags could be considered "pistol" mags under Hawaii law.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:50:30 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I've got a pile of BDM, Ciener and CMMG mags so I'll keep using them but if the S&W mags work out - I'll be running them too.
YMMV
Edited to add:  "Pile" in my case is about 20....nothing like 8afuzzball.  
View Quote

I'm not sure how many of the 15-22 mags I have as I picked up some here and there when they are on sale.  I still have some which are still new because I found that my gun needs to be cleaned after 700 rounds so there isn't any point in loading up more than 700 rounds worth of mags at any one time.

My last big mag purchase was when PSA had Black Dog X-Form mags on sale for $9.99.  Below is a pic from when I got my order.

Deals can still be found.  Last week CDNN had CMMG mags on sale for $9.99.

I have an assortment of mags as they were bought at different times.  There is only one I haven't tried yet, a Black Dog Gen III mag, which is because it doesn't fit in the magwell of either of my AR-15/22 guns.  I've been meaning to take some sandpaper to it but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

In case you haven't seen one of them, they look similar to the S&W mags.  Here is the pic from the Black Dog web site:

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:09:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Does the arrow point to a bolt stop actuator on the BDM Gen III?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:12:15 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, but it is my understanding that it works with the "Catch 22", not the Redi-Mag.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:23:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yes, but it is my understanding that it works with the "Catch 22", not the Redi-Mag.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh great!  I ordered and have a Catch 22 - somewhere in my piles and boxes of parts.

Just checked the Catch 22 site - they say the BDM Gen III will not work with the Catch 22.
BDM says it will.  I'll wait till someone tries the combo and reports back.

Meanwhile - back to the S&W and the Boonie Packer...

PS:  My Air Force conversions work great in my KKF 20" barrel.  Just had to cut a little bit off the bolt catch spring and it locks back with the standard bolt stop.

YMMV
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:36:36 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Oh great!  I ordered and have a Catch 22 - somewhere in my piles and boxes of parts.

Just checked the Catch 22 site - they say the BDM Gen III will not work with the Catch 22.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I only have a CMMG BHOA which I never bothered to install as I never got any of their EVO mags.

I don't really miss having the bolt lock back... sort of reminds me of my UZI.

Personally I like the Black Dog drums the best.  They are easy to load and hold 50 rounds.  Of the mags I like the least are the grey CMMG and the black Black Dog.  While they work fine, my issue with them is that since they are not transparent so I can't tell how many rounds I have left.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:33:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Skip the CMMG Bolt Open device and the evo mags. Waste of money.

SW mags and be done with it..

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:36:08 PM EDT
[#38]
You are right carbineone1964:

Quoted:
Got a few of the short S&W mags and the Boonie Packer adaptor.

Sure doesn't look like it should work but it does lock back.  The bolt release is a little sticky in mine but the proof is in the shooting.

Greased the Redi-Mag bolt stop and will try to get out this weekend to try the mags.
View Quote

Went to the range today - Good Friday's a State holiday in Hawaii.  

Bunch of old farts (retired) getting together to shoot pistol and chew the fat.

Went over to the rifle range for a few minutes and tried the Boonie Packer adaptor and S&W 10rd short mags.

Worked like a charm!  Locked back and released with no problems.

The mag springs are still stiff.  Loading - I had to be careful that the top round popped up even with the feedlips.  
One time I didn't notice the top round was ass end down and it did not pick up.

As long as the mag is correctly loaded the mag fed and bolt locked back perfectly.

Now I gotta find more S&W short 10rd mags.

It's the upper in the center with the chrome bolt unit - recently replaced the standard A2 FH with an extended A2 FH - now it's about the same length as the CMMG 5.56 ML upper at the top.
Spikes .22 ML barrel, Spikes bolt & collar - I put this together with parts I bought on the EE and collar bought from Spikes. Old picture - so no BP adaptor in the lower.:

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:44:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Did you get my PM where the short body ten rounders are in stock? I will send it it in an email and a PM..Good Luck
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:08:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Thanks.

Edited to add:  Ordered some.

Got my order in.  Thanks carbineone1964!

Golden State Tactical now shows:  "Out of Stock"  

Should have ordered more...

YMMV
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:39:24 PM EDT
[#41]
ARRRRGGGHHH!!!

While I was out Midway sent an "in stock" notice on the short 15-22 10 rd mags.

I opened it a couple hours after it was sent - "Out of stock"...

The last time this happened - I opened the notice 10 minutes(!!!) after it was sent and, you guessed it:  "Out of stock".

I can't sit waiting for email 24 hours a day...I'm doomed.

Really wish I had ordered more mags from Golden State Tac.

YMMV
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 6:13:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Mike, I sent you a PM with a place that has two of the Shorty 10 rounders left. Maybe you can get em. They are 19.00 a piece..It is a off the beaten path place so they may still be there yet this afternoon..Goodluck
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top