Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2014 3:15:39 PM EDT
I wanted a companion to the CZ Kadet that is the most shot pistol I own. I've read some archived threads on the V-22 here and on other forums, but, is anyone running one now?  I'm really looking for a dedicated blaster to run through Wally World Federal Bulk Packs.  Black Dog Machine are the right magazines to pair this upper with, right?
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 9:30:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one that runs fine - Been sitting awhile as the CMMG
and Taccom custom builds are used more frequently.

BDM is the only choice for mags. (27 round mag)
You must purchase the mags designed specifically for the V-22,
and they do work well.

Extremely accurate uppers but can be finicky when dirty.
I have a 12x scope on mine and it can definitely shoot small holes.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 7:36:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I just got a V 22 couple of weeks ago.  Completely broke it down and rebuilt it.

The barrel looks to be about .800 inch in diameter.
Even though the barrel is 16 inches long, the over all length of the upper is close to 14.5 .223 upper.

The barrel indexing pin was replaced since it is a roll pin instead of solid pin.
The forearm is very heavy solid aluminum tube.  It was replaced with 10 inch AXC quad rail.  The fake front sight block was discarded reducing weight.

Overall, I am very happy with it.  Paid $275 including Armalite receiver (looks exactly like Cavarms)
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 4:25:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Depending on when it was made and imported - individual CZ uppers may run like a top - others need tweaking to run properly.

When mine works - it works well but "Finicky" is an apt description.  Federal 810 in 50 rd boxes (Game Shok?) ran well.

CCI Mini Mag - this is very consistent ammo and along with CCI Standard is my go to ammo to test uppers and drop ins.  My CZ does not run 100% with CCI.

Mine does not run well with Blazer or bulk pack ammo.  

The factory plastic mags - do not overtighten the screws holding the factory mags together.  I did it once and feeding went south.  

Found that fully loaded - the ammo rose to the feed lips in slow motion.  The mag's plastic halves distorted when the screws were too tight and put pressure on the rounds in the mag.  

The rail on the receiver is a little wide - not quite to spec.  Some types of mounts and sights barely fit or don't fit at all.

Accurate.

Parts could be a problem - I bought spares - even bought a barrel someone was selling.  Don't know if there is a current source for parts.  A company used to be the exclusive seller of the BDM CZ V22 mags but I haven't checked lately to see if they still have spare parts.

IIRC -  the design may have been "borrowed" without payment or acknowledgment from a guy who used to post in these forums.  If they had worked with him (the original designer) they might have worked some of the kinks out.

With a few tweaks these uppers are reported to run well - very popular in the UK.  One of the UK manufacturers produced a beautiful hi-cap, machined aluminum mag - mucho $$$ (or pounds).

Haven't shot mine much in the last few years.  In addition to the CZ - I have a Kuehl M4 type upper, Spikes mid-length (put this one together myself), a KKF 20" upper, Beyer barreled and assembled 16.5" LH upper with CMMG LH bolt and I had a CMMG Evo LH upper that I gave to my left handed friend.  The CZ has been neglected for a long time.  

YMMV

Link Posted: 4/1/2014 6:08:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Black Dog Machine is selling the V-22 mags and replacement parts on their web site.  I have friends who have three V-22 uppers and they are reliable.  One of the three produces unbelievable accuracy with Aguila 40 grain SE plated ammo.  The other to aren't bad but one is way more accurate than the other two.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:51:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Mine is @ 12 years old and has always been reliable, although I have tweaked it a lot. I have known others be a nightmare as manufacturing tolerances varied from batch to batch. It's still my favourite and most used gun, and has seen many incarnations....

Black Dog still do the hi-cap magazines for them (they were really the making of this gun as previous offerings weren't up to much)..http://blackdogmachinellc.net/CZV22.aspx

There used to be a company in the US, Conversion Caliber Supply run by a chap called Dan Auth that produced V22 spares, but I haven't heard of him lately.

V22's are still produced in the UK...http://www.southern-gun.co.uk/

Anyone familiar with these guns will know that the bolt castings are rough as a badger's arse, even though they work fine. Bob Clark at Southern Gun is in the process of re-working the uppers and bolts to much higher standards/tolerances. I like them because they have a proprietary bolt rather than a conversion like everything else, except Nordic. I also prefer the side charging that lets you keep the rifle in the shoulder should you go empty..

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:30:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I have an upper setting in my safe . it shoots great I just lost intrest in a 22lr maybe someday I will stick it on a lower for my grandsons to learn how to shoot an ar.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 2:09:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I have one as well.
black dog took over from Dan on all his spares.

mine only likes high velocity ammo.
I tried to lighten the hammer spring, but got some light strikes. so I am still tweaking that.
except for the cocking the hammer with std velocity stuff, it runs pretty well. very accurate.

forgot to add, this isn't actually made by the same CZ company that makes your cadet btw.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:56:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:05:49 AM EDT
[#9]
I had one that ran 100%. Sold it here on the EE.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 9:35:20 AM EDT
[#10]
As a point of interest, Southern-Gun in the UK have re-engineered the V22, with a billet upper and better machined bolt..imaginatively called the 'W22'.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top