Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2008 4:09:01 PM EDT
Hi,
I just made a trade and ended up with a RRA 9mm carbine LAR-15. This rifle takes the colt style mags. I just bought some Uzi mags and I was wondering if you guys could guide me through the conversion. Please, the more info the better about how to notch the mag and whatever else I may need to know.
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 8:36:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's a quick "How to".  These guys seem like goofballs, but they seem to at least know what they're doing.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoSLgZIGxFA
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 7:23:37 AM EDT
[#2]
If you are not handy with tools,  www.M60joe does them for a $10 each.
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 4:16:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Here are 2 diagrams I had from my research on converting the Uzi mags.

Link Posted: 10/9/2008 7:10:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Use the print above.

2 cuts with a 1/4" carbide cutter in the milling machine.

Takes less than 5 minutes per mag. to do the work.
Link Posted: 10/10/2008 8:04:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Awesome, thanks! Anybody have any advice on what tools to use? I don't have a milling machine or anything fancy like that. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 10/10/2008 8:14:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Awesome, thanks! Anybody have any advice on what tools to use? I don't have a milling machine or anything fancy like that. Thanks again.

Consider selling/trading them off and get the brand new 9mm mags from C Products.

Brand new 9mm 32 round AR mags for $16.99

Link Posted: 10/10/2008 12:35:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Scrap the Uzis out to the uzi shooters, and buy some Factory Colt Mags. Not Cproducts but actual Factory Colt mags, You should never have an issue.
Link Posted: 10/10/2008 1:25:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Scrap the Uzis out to the uzi shooters, and buy some Factory Colt Mags. Not Cproducts but actual Factory Colt mags, You should never have an issue.

CProducts makes Colts 9mm mags.

But if you're talking about Colt mags from back when CProducts wasn't making them, why pay more them?
Link Posted: 10/10/2008 1:41:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I have about 20 IMI uzi mags that I share between my UZI SBR and
my 2 AR15 SBRs. My AR15 mag block is the one that goes in from the top.
My setups doesn't lock the bolt back on an empty mag...but in the many years
I've used them they have never ever failed.

ASA did a great job on my cuts for me with my provided mag block.
It's a tight, NON-wobbling and custom fit. I would never change it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2008 2:36:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CProducts makes Colts 9mm mags.

But if you're talking about Colt mags from back when CProducts wasn't making them, why pay more them?

I don't care if CProducts makes the colt mags now... their mags don't work in every gun no matter who says they do.  My 6450 wont run most of my CP mags 100% of the time, but my original Colt mags run perfectly without a single hiccup.  I wonder why Colt went with the CP mags...
Link Posted: 10/11/2008 4:54:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Not to hijack the thread but...  Anybody have any advice on what tools to use? I don't have a milling machine or anything fancy like that. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 10/11/2008 5:00:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Not to hijack the thread but...  Anybody have any advice on what tools to use? I don't have a milling machine or anything fancy like that. Thanks again.

They need to be milled. You could try a dremel tool but I bet you would hate the result and would ruin an innocent Uzi mag.
Link Posted: 10/11/2008 5:18:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They need to be milled. You could try a dremel tool but I bet you would hate the result and would ruin an innocent Uzi mag.

I have seen a lot of hacked up dremmel done mags and many sit too high or too low so they don't work right and they show up cheap as junk.  M60joe used to mill mags for a fee and at least that route has a high probability of working.

I hate to see good UZI mags hacked up when cheap AR-15 mags are available.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 6:14:52 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Who is ASA? I'm going to get prices to have it done professionally. Anybody else you'd recommend? Thanks
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 8:46:22 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who is ASA? I'm going to get prices to have it done professionally. Anybody else you'd recommend? Thanks

American Spririt Arms. Mike Neal is the contact for questions.
I've only dealt with them since I acquired all of my
9mm conversion components from them years ago.

American Spirit Arms
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top