Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2017 2:44:59 AM EDT
Hey everyone, so I'm new to the forums, and all though ive been shooting for a long time I've never actually owned my own (thanks to having a pretty liberal family and living and California [i'm the odd ball of the family as well if you couldn't tell]). I'm currently looking at getting my first rifle and was contemplating doing it off of the AR platform, but I also feel like starting off with something like a bolt action .17hmr or .22LR (savage arms) might be the best and most affortable way to hone in my shooting skills and work towards investing and owning a gun that is just as easy to shoot as the AR is. Let me know what you guys think ~thanks
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 5:01:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I have the Savage .22 as a suppressor host.
And more than a few AR15's.

The AR is super affordable right now.
And it can be just about, any type of gun you wish.

PSA runs deals on complete uppers and lowers.
And IIRC, the "monsterman grip" makes the normal AR15 Cali legal.

Ask a dealer near you, then do the lower transfer through them.

I vote Cali AR15, but you may enjoy the Savage as it is a fine shooter.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 2:57:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have the Savage .22 as a suppressor host.
And more than a few AR15's.

The AR is super affordable right now.
And it can be just about, any type of gun you wish.

PSA runs deals on complete uppers and lowers.
And IIRC, the "monsterman grip" makes the normal AR15 Cali legal.

Ask a dealer near you, then do the lower transfer through them.

I vote Cali AR15, but you may enjoy the Savage as it is a fine shooter.
View Quote
Unfortunately, I'm under 21 so can't get a lower receiver here in Cali. But I could buy a full AR and strip/replace parts. Which is why I was thinking about just getting the Savage until I get the AR, so I can build it how I like it. Then again I also have to consider how much longer I'll be allowed to actually purchase an AR in Cali...
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:21:29 PM EDT
[#3]
The problem is the unknown future of ARs in Cali... In a year or two, they may not allow any form of new AR to be sold or built.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 8:12:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Unfortunately, I'm under 21 so can't get a lower receiver here in Cali. But I could buy a full AR and strip/replace parts. Which is why I was thinking about just getting the Savage until I get the AR, so I can build it how I like it. Then again I also have to consider how much longer I'll be allowed to actually purchase an AR in Cali...
View Quote
Why won't they sell you a lower? I thought all lowers had to be sold as rifle lowers here.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 3:42:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Why won't they sell you a lower? I thought all lowers had to be sold as rifle lowers here.
View Quote
I've heard as some LGS doing the 21 year old thing, as insurance.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 4:33:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I've heard as some LGS doing the 21 year old thing, as insurance.
View Quote
For stripped lowers yeah, have to be 21, some BS legality thing here; not sure though about complete lowers. Honestly, the way things are in CA right now, I would go the 80% route and just build it featureless. I have no black rifles that were dros-ed after Jan 1, 2014, and every AR I own is home built; I don't trust this state, and the whole AW registration thing is still up in the air since the Office of Administrative Law rejected CA DOJ's second submission of written wording for the "AW ban" and their attempted over reach of authority. Calguns.net is the site you need to be on, a lot more helpful CA specific information.

FWIW, do you currently own any firearms? Because I would say if you do not own anything, IMO I'd buy a 12 gauge pump first because they are just so damn versatile, buy an 80% lower and the tools to do it (not much really, at the most basic a vice, a jig, a drill, and a router) and build the AR as funds allow.

ETA: Another viable option if you wanted something similar to the AR in caliber but don't want to deal with any of the black rifle bullsh*t is the Mossberg MVP in 5.56, its a bolt action that accepts standard AR magazines. I've been tempted to get one just because I find it interesting.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 9:26:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Stripped lowers are considered "other", and you have to be 21 to by from a dealer per Federal law, not just CA law.  

As far as I can tell, a complete lower still isn't a rifle either.  You would have to buy a complete rifle.

To answer OP, I would either start with an AR or a 10/22.  Probably an AR since you aren't sure if you can buy them down the road.  Probably 2 or 3, in that case.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 7:08:36 PM EDT
[#8]
As an alternative you could get the California compliant S&W M&P 15-22. It would be a good trainer for your eventual AR. Not an AR though it'll accept assorted AR parts. I have the non-compliant model. Lot of fun and cheap to shoot. http://grabagun.com/smith-and-wesson-and-wesson-21.html
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 1:11:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Have you considered the Ruger 10/22? It's excellent for learning marksmanship fundamentals and the semi-auto action lets you take advantage of the low prices of 22LR; you can shoot more without having to manipulate the bolt constantly. Reliability is legendary. It's one of those guns where even if you got an AR later, you'll still be glad you have the 10/22. On the other hand, the M&P 22 will familiarize you with AR controls and weapons manipulation, but isn't as rock solid reliable as the 10/22.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 3:33:59 PM EDT
[#10]
This one might be nice too. Believe it's a "legit" AR .22lr as compared to my M&P 15-22. A little pricey but I haven't seen the street price.

http://tippmannarms.com/tippmann-arms-m4-22/
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top