Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2017 5:41:23 PM EDT
so for a new person who is getting into this genre better to buy cheap to start and work my way up or build once and done...yeah right... but on the premise I would be done.
I see the smith and wesson sport 2 are 699 and pretty hard to build one cheaper than that and from all the stuff I have been reading/watching videos they are pretty reliable.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 6:39:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Build or buy? You will get varied opinions.

M&P sport 2 is a great rifle, especially @ $699.

If you were in the US, building a quality AR for less is possible.

I wish I could get my hands on some of those stripped Colt Canada lowers up there.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 5:50:26 AM EDT
[#2]
do they not ship to US for the colt stripped lowers?
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 5:58:54 AM EDT
[#3]
check out Nordic Marksman
they have the stripped lowers for 249 and I believe they have a USA shipping rate which leads me to believe you can get them shipped there.
good luck
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 6:25:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
check out Nordic Marksman
they have the stripped lowers for 249 and I believe they have a USA shipping rate which leads me to believe you can get them shipped there.
good luck
View Quote
I will, thanks.

I was told the import costs are insane, but I will get a quote.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 6:55:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Buy or build is an on going topic. If you buy, you will probably change things on your rifle; handguards, trigger, furniture, etc. My bought rifle still has the original upper and lower receivers, safety lever, and receiver extension.
Every other part has been changed. A good choice would be one of the stripped down deals that you add your own plastic and sights. Or, think about the upper being the heart of the rifle and buy a quality assembly with the barrel and handguard you want. I'd say for a new guy, build your lower and pin it to a quality upper. The best of both worlds.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 3:11:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm brand new to the AR-owning scene, so take what I say with a grain of salt.  I bought a stripped lower some 7 years ago and just in the last week turned it into an A1-ish clone.  I've spent about $750 on it.

Right now it looks to me like the bottom is dropping out of barebones AR15s.  There have been several deals popping up on reddit in the last couple of weeks for ARs in the $400 range.  You can get a basic Ruger right now for $450 shipped:

https://www.gunbuyer.com/catalog/product/view/id/95990/s/ruger-ar-556-223-5-56mm-16-barrel-30-1-8500-rug08500-gb/

Here's a DPMS AR for $350 after rebate:

https://www.smga.com/p-122309-dpms-mrfa3oc-panther-a-15-oracle-556.aspx

While the current pro-gun political climate holds, it wouldn't surprise me to see barebones ARs settle in to the $350-$400 range as normal, non-sale prices.  It's almost getting to the point now that if you want to build one it would be cheaper to buy one and use it for parts in your build.

Steve
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 3:22:30 PM EDT
[#7]
My first AR was a CMMG complete 20" govt profile upper a Stag stripped lower and a Stag rifle stock kit.
I bought that setup in 2007.

Now I have three lowers and two uppers, all built by yours truly and they look like nothing I can buy as a turnkey AR.
All those configurations run great.

With all the resources in ARFCOM's tech section I say build.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 4:32:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I vote build.

Invest a bench vise, torque wrench, armorers wrench, punch set and rubber mallet.
Then build it from scratch. You'll really learn how the platform works, and you can control exactly what parts you used.

That's what I did, and it works great for me.  I use my build - mainly PSA parts, except barrel - for 3 gun and hunting and it works great.  Over 2000 rounds on it, and only 4-5 failures (from
Using cheap as shit Herters ammo).
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 9:07:51 PM EDT
[#9]
at this moment it is cheaper to buy parts are hard to find
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 9:45:54 PM EDT
[#10]
New to AR as well. Read a lot here and a few other sites. Was torn between build and buy as well, talked to some guys that build a lot. Went to NRA show looked at several. Bought an Aero AC 15M cheaper than I could build now changing  items to my preferences. Fun weapon to shoot.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 9:56:07 PM EDT
[#11]
[Edit: didn't see Canada;  buy the Norinco, from Marstar, in Stock $699. Comes with 2x30 Rd mags (limited to 5 rds), three point sling, cleaning kit, & manual.]

Combination of both.

Colt LE6920 OEM-1 can be had for $648.

Ad your choice of Handguards, Stock, Trigger Guard, Sling, Mags, Ammo, & Cleaning Kit.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 4:41:42 PM EDT
[#12]
The main advantage to buying from a reputable company is you get a turn key rifle ready to go and backed by a warranty. Now you have something to build your knowledge base off of. From there you can change stuff out based on what you think you will like better. If you know little to nothing about the platform chances of you getting "do it once and done" results are slim to none anyway. Building is fun as a hobbie, but some people just want a gun that's going to work. Take a look around, probably more than 75% of the topics on this website in the AR-15 section are people troubleshooting their builds or stressing out over the abundance of contradictory info when trying to pick their parts. If you don't want the headache then buy a complete rifle to start. If the journey is your kind of thing then build.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:04:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I like too build my lowers then, buy the upper I like.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:17:39 PM EDT
[#14]
I think building it all is the only way to go.  If you buy it you will just loose money since they overprice it and you end up replace stuff on it anyway.  If you build it all you get all the parts you like and you can get a better value as well.  and making the upper is wayyyyyyyyyyy easier than the lower.  the upper just needs a barrel you plug in and a bolt you stick in there and the lower has all those pins n springs and buttons.  It seems those premade uppers are always wayyyyyyyyyyyy overpriced too.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:41:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Depends what you want.

Basic no frills AR buy it straight out. I'm thinking about picking up a DPMS since there is a rebate going on (https://gun.deals/product/dpms-ap4-525-375-after-rebate?view=list).

Anything else build it yourself. This doesn't mean you HAVE to build every component from scratch. You can start with a complete lower and source your upper from all over the internet. They don't call em lego guns for nothing.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:26:43 AM EDT
[#16]
I only build my lowers.  The upper I would buy complete.

However, nowadays it's pretty darn cheap to just buy a complete rifle.  On the flip side, it's kind of fun to piece it together, and you'll learn something, so that decision is yours.

Nobody can give you the right answer.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:50:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Building is fun, and gives you the knowledge you need for repairs.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 5:34:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Very first AR? I'd recommend putting together your own first lower...but pairing it with a good quality factory upper. Doesn't have to be super high-end right out of the gate. A PSA CHF upper, for example, is a pretty dang good upper and doesn't cost a fortune. PSA has relatively inexpensive/decent LPKs too. Grab a $65 Aero Precision gen 2 lower, a PSA LPK, and whatever other lower parts tickle your fancy and use the many youtube guides to put it together. It's a good experience. I actually really enjoy assembling ARs, it's fun, and educational for a first timer.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:24:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted: Take a look around, probably more than 75% of the topics on this website in the AR-15 section are people troubleshooting their builds or stressing out over the abundance of contradictory info when trying to pick their parts. If you don't want the headache then buy a complete rifle to start. If the journey is your kind of thing then build.
View Quote
That is a good point, it is very simple for those who don't have problems with mechanical things and difficult for those who do.

Which type of person are you?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:45:22 AM EDT
[#20]
+1 for the build lower and buy upper camp.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 1:12:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Why build the the bottom and buy the top?  It sounds so backwards to me since the bottom has so much more things to install.  Annnnnd why not just build a top u want from the start rather than not being 100 percent satisfied with a ready made top?  All u do is plug in a barrel screw the nut on and screw on the handrail.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 1:45:46 AM EDT
[#22]
I hear what you're saying, but there's less tools involved in lower assembly. No drills, torque wrenches, receiver blocks/reaction rods, etc. So long as you have a hammer, screw driver, and a couple punches, you can assemble the lower. There's also less chance of epic fail with lower assembly and it's a more consistent process (which means pretty much any how-to guide on the www / YouTube will be good to go.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 1:49:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Wuts a reaction rod?  I didn't plan on using that.  I was just gonna use my barrel wrench and a torque wrench
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 6:52:47 AM EDT
[#24]
A RR is one means of holding things while you torque the bbl nut down. You could also use one of the various upper holding tools. Unlike putting a lower together you have to have something to firmly hold the upper during this process.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 10:43:06 AM EDT
[#25]
If I were starting out I'd go 16" BCM with 15" KMR-A
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 11:23:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Wuts a reaction rod?  I didn't plan on using that.  I was just gonna use my barrel wrench and a torque wrench
View Quote
Invest in a Magpul BEV block to keep the barrel from moving while torquing the barrel nut.  The reaction rod performs the same purpose.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 1:11:44 PM EDT
[#27]
OK.  I can't wait!  Where do I get the cheapest one?
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 1:22:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Building is a ton of fun, addictive, and can be learned with a little bit of reading and a few YouTube videos.  Not hard, but does require some tools that likely would not get much future use if you're building just one.

Something like a Colt OEM or 6720 or a lightweight BCM would be a terrific HD and general use AR.   If you were going to have just one, I would probably go that route and put the tool money toward ammo and an Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 1:27:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Yayyyyyyyy.  Wellll I already built the lower up!
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 2:39:51 PM EDT
[#30]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 3:38:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 5:21:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Invest in a Magpul BEV block to keep the barrel from moving while torquing the barrel nut.  The reaction rod performs the same purpose.
View Quote
True. I have both and find the reaction rod being used more though.  A much more stable platform to work on muzzle devices from IMO.  Worth the +/- $100.  The Reaction Block is also a great tool to use for castle nuts... no unneeded stress put on the lower as you would get with the BEV block.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 1:34:52 AM EDT
[#33]
There are knock off reaction rods if you want to go that way. Pretty sure Brownell's has one. You can also wait for a geiselle sale (most holidays) and get one for 20%+ off.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top