Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2017 10:48:23 AM EDT
Hi all:

Brand new member with my first post here.  I am a long time hunter, and handgun plinker who had sworn he would never buy any modern sporting rifle.  Well, times change as do thoughts and several months ago I decided to take the plunge and start looking at a new rifle for fun and frankly just to own one.  I have been reading this site and as many postings as I could, and have gone to several LGS to peruse my options.  Thanks for all of the great information that many of you provide!

As to experience, my local range rents the S&W Sport2, so I have shot that, but that is the only AR style rifle I have ever shot.  I have been able to look at (but not shoot) several of the Colt rifles.  I have held both the LE6920 in the standard version and the one with Magpul.  I liked them both well enough in my hands, but am unsure whether the Magpul is the way to go or not.  It is a bit cheaper, which makes me wonder if there is a good reason for that.  So that is the first question, am I giving up anything getting the Magpul version from the standard version?

Perhaps I should have led with the more basic question though.  I have read numerous postings on here about how folks like me (new to this platform) should really take a look at the 6720, due to its weight, quality, etc.  However, none of the LGS in my area have one in stock to hold, etc. although I am unsure how much I would learn if I did.  Online, they run less than the 6920, but not enough to make a huge difference.  Perhaps I am overthinking this, but does the rollmark AR15-A4 matter for resale of the 6720 versus 6920 if I decide I don't like it?  Should I get the 6720 having not even laid my hands on one?

Any thoughts would be appreciated on either or both of the above.  Thanks much in advance!
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 10:57:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Good call on 6920 but the a4 is a 20" bbl
6920 is marked m4
You can get it for $850. Buy with confidence
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 11:06:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Welcome aboard!

I'm a Colt fan as well.

MagPul makes high quality parts.  Many people consider them an upgrade.

So if you like the feel of the MagPul furniture get the one with.   If not get the standard one.  I love the feel of the MagPul handguards and hate the oval M4 handguards.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 11:36:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice pictures and thanks much!  Sorry, but what does "20" bbl refer to?  Clearly I need to learn more of the acronyms!
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 11:38:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I do like the MagPul.  One great thing about the AR platform is how much tweaking it allows.  That is new to me.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 11:50:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice pictures and thanks much!  Sorry, but what does "20" bbl refer to?  Clearly I need to learn more of the acronyms!
View Quote
20 inch barrel, which actually shoot better, but have their limitations due to length.

ETA: If the Magpul version is cheaper, I'd go with that. You can sell the furniture if you don't like it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 12:46:26 PM EDT
[#6]
You don't need to handle a 6720 to know it's superior to the 6920 and the Sport 2. The barrel profile of the 6720 (original Colt Sp1/CAR) makes it balance perfectly.  Colt's rollmarks should have no effect on resale.

Photo and specs shown here as well as an explanation of the new receiver markings: New Colt 6720 on EE for $820 shipped

If you're budget conscious, I recommend the AERO middy $560 shipped from Brownells

or "Pin together" a PSA rifle for $500 plus transfer fee

Complete PSA lower with MagPul furniture $150 shipped
+
Complete PSA Midlength LW Upper MLOK rail and BCG/CH $350 shipped
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 1:13:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Personally I would never buy or recommend a carbine gas length 16" barrel rifle, so there is only one Colt I would suggest:

http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Rifles/Colt-Combat-Unit-Carbine

Which is actually a relatively decent rifle setup for a factory rifle.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 9:58:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Personally I would never buy or recommend a carbine gas length 16" barrel rifle...
View Quote
Curious as to why?
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 12:23:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Just get the 6920:  a great first/only AR.

If you want to branch out later, you'll have a better idea of what you do/dont like, need, etc
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 1:10:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I've never handled a 6720, but you can't go wrong with a 6920.  I'm surprised the Magpul version is cheaper, but if all else is equal I'd go with the Magpul for the reasons noted above.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 4:07:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've never handled a 6720, but you can't go wrong with a 6920.  I'm surprised the Magpul version is cheaper, but if all else is equal I'd go with the Magpul for the reasons noted above.
View Quote
Same here. Never handled the 6720, but have owned several 6920s. The most inexpensive way to go with a Colt AR is to get the 6920 OEM 1 or OEM 2. The 1 has the standard front sight base. The 2 has the FSB cut down. You can get one of these for less than $750.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 2:51:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks everyone.  I will definitely post some pictures once the purchase is made!
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 7:31:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Some people consider Mag-pul a downgrade.

Try the rifle out of the box, before replacing parts.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 8:12:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Good call on 6920 but the a4 is a 20" bbl
6920 is marked m4
You can get it for $850. Buy with confidence
http://i.imgur.com/OJxJ7cn.jpg
View Quote
Just to clarify here, the Colt 6720 is also an A4 and is marked as one.

I own quite a few AR's including much more expensive rifles and find myself shooting and enjoying my Colts the most.  They're everything you need and nothing you don't, if I had 2 grand and could only own one AR it'd be a 6720 with an Aimpoint and the rest for ammo.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 8:47:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Have you considered buying a naked Colt LE6920 OEM-1 or OEM-2?
You can easily add whatever furniture you want and save some cash.
https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/colt%2Ble6920%2Boem?mobile=true
Good luck and good choice on the LE6920.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 8:28:53 AM EDT
[#16]
I did consider that, but since I haven't seen a 6720 in the OEM configuration, I think I am going to just go with the standard and then figure out what I like/don't like and change accordingly.  Also, it doesn't seem like the OEM's are selling for all that much less than you can find a regular 6920.  Not sure why though.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 9:00:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Just supply and demand, really the furniture doesn't equal a lot anyway.

You're really going to like the 6720, if anything maybe just a Magpul or B5 stock.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 12:14:14 PM EDT
[#18]
I picked my furniture up on the EE, new takeoffs for $60.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 12:42:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Well, my 6720 is scheduled to arrive at my local FFL on Monday.  I ended up getting a really good deal, I think.  I got a factory new one that comes with the detachable carry handle for a lot less than I have been seeing online.

Now to figure out all of the "stuff" that I really need to start (mags, sling, case, etc.)  Then time to shoot, shoot, shoot.

Thanks again everyone!
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 1:17:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Congrats!   Got really going to love it.  That light weight barrel sure makes for a sweet, light gun.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:42:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Would you please send me an e-mail where you got your deal?

Thank you.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 6:23:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Just bought a 6720 this week. I really like the light weight. All I'll do is add a sling and a red dot sight....probably an MRO.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 3:46:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Sancho:  Sent an e-mail.  good luck!
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 3:47:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Liv_C:  I am in Ohio as well.  Glad to hear you like it.  I pick up mine tomorrow.  

I have only ever used a traditional sling on my deer hunting rifle and shotguns.  Once again, never realized all of the choices when it comes to AR's.  Any idea which style you are picking?
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 4:50:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks.

USGI slings always work for me.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:30:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Liv_C:  I am in Ohio as well.  Glad to hear you like it.  I pick up mine tomorrow.  

I have only ever used a traditional sling on my deer hunting rifle and shotguns.  Once again, never realized all of the choices when it comes to AR's.  Any idea which style you are picking?
View Quote
I will be using a Vickers sling. They work really well and are comfortable.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:19:09 AM EDT
[#27]
And at long last, here it is.  Hope to shoot it this long weekend!

Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:20:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Very nice!
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:43:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 8:14:19 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm looking at this on my iPhone, but the OP's rifle appears to not have a bayonet lug.  I've not seen a 6720 without the lug.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 4:02:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm looking at this on my iPhone, but the OP's rifle appears to not have a bayonet lug.  I've not seen a 6720 without the lug.
View Quote
It's lugless like the 6933 .  I would have preferred mine that way.  I have no use for a bayonet on it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 5:39:03 PM EDT
[#32]
I think it is suspect.  I've never seen another 6720 without a lug.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 6:20:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I think it is suspect.  I've never seen another 6720 without a lug.
View Quote
Many here have said their rifle came lugless.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 6:56:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Yep. Some dealers offer that as an option...
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 7:58:21 PM EDT
[#35]
This is what happens when you put a bayonet on a 16" barrel;

It fits but not correctly.  Thus it's only use is to scare/ piss off worthless politicians.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 3:45:39 PM EDT
[#36]
I don't even own an AR bayonet (haven't had one in over 30 years).  However, I hadn't noticed a 6720 without a lug. Years ago I had some "blue label" Colts without lugs.  That's why I mentioned it. I guess its standard Colt (use what's in the parts bin).  Back in the Preban days I had Colts with every conceivable combination of parts (new from factory).  I think they just use what's avaiable (especially during a transition period).  I had A1 uppers with A2 brass deflectors, A1 uppers with Hbars, A2 uppers with fence-less lowers, etc, etc etc.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 4:38:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Hey congrats!  I've been shooting over a 12-15 pistols/rifles for over 40 years but like you I've never had the desire for an AR.  Until recently.

All of the Colt models were on the table, and everything else that Gonzo Mountain had to handle.  (Gander is expensive as hell but in all fairness they offer other perks that have value.)

My thought was to either buy a solid arm (Colt, BCM class) and mod it later to how I like after a learning curve, or buy more expensive with the features in an off the shelf higher spec rifle that needs no mods).

So I went the latter route and still want a stock Colt.  No mods, trigger, furniture, flash, nothing, just a factory Colt.

Happy shooting!
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 9:34:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Have you considered buying a naked Colt LE6920 OEM-1 or OEM-2?
You can easily add whatever furniture you want and save some cash.
https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/colt%2Ble6920%2Boem?mobile=true
Good luck and good choice on the LE6920.
View Quote
So the OEM rifle is $650.  Which handguard, stock, and sights, and magazine would you put on it to come out cheaper than the $780 for the complete LE6920?  Hint - you won't get out cheaper buying the OEM rifle.  You'll be closer to $1000.  The OEM rifles are made for people are gonna swap out the milspec handguard and stock for fancy aftermarket ones.  They are not for people trying to get out cheap.  you will not be able to put on a $15 set of commando style handguards due to the OEM rifle shipping with no delta ring and a low profile gas block with no front handguard retainer.

The OEM rifle has a milspec barrel nut and requires a freefloating handguard.  That leaves you with about 5 choices, starting around $100.  If you want a different one, then you need to buy special tools, pull the gas tube, swap barrel nuts, properly torque the new one, etc.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 11:07:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

So the OEM rifle is $650.  Which handguard, stock, and sights, and magazine would you put on it to come out cheaper than the $780 for the complete LE6920?  Hint - you won't get out cheaper buying the OEM rifle.  You'll be closer to $1000.  The OEM rifles are made for people are gonna swap out the milspec handguard and stock for fancy aftermarket ones.  They are not for people trying to get out cheap.  you will not be able to put on a $15 set of commando style handguards due to the OEM rifle shipping with no delta ring and a low profile gas block with no front handguard retainer.

The OEM rifle has a milspec barrel nut and requires a freefloating handguard.  That leaves you with about 5 choices, starting around $100.  If you want a different one, then you need to buy special tools, pull the gas tube, swap barrel nuts, properly torque the new one, etc.
View Quote
The OEM-1 comes with the delta ring,  uncut front sight base and handguard cap.

The OEM-2 comes as you describe.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 10:20:40 AM EDT
[#40]
I've bought both an OEM-1 and OEM-2.

The OEM-2 is for sale, because I decided I didn't want to buy a Centurion C4 rail for it (my idea was to just slap a C4 on the rifle since I wouldn't have to remove the barrel).

The OEM-1 is now my primary range rifle.  It has been flawless to date.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 10:24:26 AM EDT
[#41]
As mentioned, the OEM guns come without stocks, handguards, trigger guard or sights.  I added:

+ B5 Systems Enhanced SOPMOD
+ MagPul Aluminum Trigger Guard
+ KAC RAS Rail System
+ Aimpoint CompM4S in LaRue LT659NV Mount
+ SureFire M600C in LaRue LT272 Mount
+ LMT L8A Rear Sight
+ GGG Two Point Sling
+ PRI Big Latch
+ LaRue MBT Trigger

I wouldn't hesitate to grab this rifle on my way out the door to fight off invading squid-pastries from the planet Poptart.

ETA: It doesn't look "cool" like the trend toward no front sight bases and 12" FF rails, but it is a set up that I've used on a variety of carbines for the past 15 years (with some updates...like the CompM4S instead of an EOTech or other RDS). It works well, but is a little heavy compared to the uberlight weight offerings available now.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 6:07:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Lowest price I see for the OEM1 is $680.  Figure $22 for a basic stock, $17 for handguards, $10 for a magazine, $45 for a rear sight, $4 for a trigger guard.  After you pay for the shipping for all those parts, you're higher than if you'd bought the complete rifle.

https://www.gunprodeals.com/products/tactical-colt-mfg-le6920-098289020246
https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/tapco-ar-15-t6-stock-mil-spec-body-only-polymer-black-16760-751348006246.do?sortby=priceAscend&refType=&from=fn
http://www.avantlink.com/click.php?tt=cl&pw=55963&ctc=j3koseacea00zk8a02gtd&mi=13601&url=https%3A%2F%2Faeroprecisionusa.com%2Fplastic-handguards.html
http://www.graniteridgeoutfitters.com/Magpul-MBUS-Gen-2-Rear-Sight-MAG248-Various-Colors-MAG248.htm?categoryId=-1
http://palmettostatearmory.com/usgi-trigger-guard.html

Now, you could go and get airsoft quality stock and sight and find some chinese handguards without heat shields in them and maybe come out cheaper.  But if you're gonna do that, why the hell are you buying a Colt to begin with?  :D  
Colt either manufacturers those extra pieces themselves or they buy them in bulk.  Unless you just have some spare parts laying around, or you have a connection somewhere, you aren't gonna get them any cheaper than what Colt gets them for.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 5:07:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Hoping it isn't "suspect", as I have box, etc. and all of the markings look the same as what I have seen on here.  Even the roll stamp looks just like all of the others I have seen.  Didn't know to beware of fake colts, but learn something new every day.

Regardless, it is fun to shoot though, although my 9 year old was not a fan at all.  I know that everyone on here says that there is very little recoil on the AR's, but my son would highly disagree.  He was shooting his 10/22 and after 1 round on the AR, went back to his 10/22 happily.  I was a bit surprised as well, to me the felt recoil was between my 12 gauges and 20 gauges.  But that is just me.

I have selected a sight and plan to go with the Vortex Strikefire II.  I know it isn't top of the line, but should be good enough for now.  Also, thanks for the advice on the Vickers sling, very nice!

Thanks again everyone!
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 5:32:30 PM EDT
[#44]
OEM 1 @$717 free ship. Add furniture (I paid $60 shipped, EE), and MBUS rear(EE $30), and for $807 you have yourself a complete Colt.

How can you go wrong???

New rifle, and a case of ammo @ ~$1100.I did it and will again.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 5:38:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
Nope.  OEM 2 is what you speak of.

OEM 1 has fsp/delta ring assy.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 8:09:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Nope.  OEM 2 is what you speak of.

OEM 1 has fsp/delta ring assy.
View Quote
Scroll up a couple posts.  I don't think you can do either the oem1 or oem2 and come out cheaper than buying the complete rifle.  If you do, it's because you got cheap airsoft parts, had some extras parts laying around or gifted, or just got a really good steal of a deal.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 9:21:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Scroll up a couple posts.  I don't think you can do either the oem1 or oem2 and come out cheaper than buying the complete rifle.  If you do, it's because you got cheap airsoft parts, had some extras parts laying around or gifted, or just got a really good steal of a deal.
View Quote
I came in $130 under the cheapest 6920 that I could find in a complete package.

No cheap airsoft parts. Only part I had was the GI trigger guard.

Colt 6920 M4 waffle, Colt A2 grip, and M4 double heatshield guards. Rear sight is Magpul MBUS.

It was a cheaper alternative at the time.

Currently, with complete 6920s for $800, it'd be a stretch.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 8:40:07 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Currently, with complete 6920s for $800, it'd be a stretch.
View Quote
The complete rifle is $760.  The OEM2 is $660.  And the OEM1 is $680.

That leaves you $80 difference to buy your stock, handguard, magazine, rear sight, and pay for shipping on all of them.  I'd say by today's prices its just not worth it.

https://www.gunprodeals.com/products/law-enforcement-carbine-098289020277
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 9:08:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The complete rifle is $760.  The OEM2 is $660.  And the OEM1 is $680.

That leaves you $80 difference to buy your stock, handguard, magazine, rear sight, and pay for shipping on all of them.  I'd say by today's prices its just not worth it.

https://www.gunprodeals.com/products/law-enforcement-carbine-098289020277
View Quote
Shit, those prices on complete units are amazing.

9 months ago it was unheard of.

I thought I was doing good on cutting corners moneywise.
At current pricing, it is a no compete.

As usual,  I should have waited.

Thanks for the heads up on the site.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 9:54:58 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Thanks for the heads up on the site.
View Quote
I can't take credit for the site.  I just searched and they were the cheapest on wikiarms.   https://www.wikiarms.com/guns?q=LE6920
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top