Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2017 2:23:22 PM EDT
I just finished building a new AR and I used all good quality parts. My question is it necessary to check head spacing or are the quality and fit of parts these days good enough that I would be safe firing it without verifying the head spacing? A set of go/no go gauges are a little pricey to use only once or twice but if necessary I will buy them. Any input on this?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:48:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I've built a few rifles now, and have never used one.

New quality parts shouldn't have an issue.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:57:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks! That is kind of what I felt would be the case but it never hurts to ask the question.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 5:42:49 PM EDT
[#3]
No, as you can tell from the numerous posts on here talking about new build problems (often chambers) using name brand parts/barrels, the quality control doesn't catch everything. It takes 5 minutes at most so why wouldn't you use the gauges on it? If you don't have them, ask in your HTF if someone will help you out. Got a buddy on here who has done that for a couple of people in our neck of the woods.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:46:34 PM EDT
[#4]
The only way to tell 100% is to use the gauges. Personally, the risk of firing an out of spec weapon is far greater than the cost of the gauges. I picked up a Forster min and max gauge set for less than $70 on amazon.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:41:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I've built many and the one you think would not have an issue, winds up having a problem.  

It's a small investment to make for the Peace of Mind it gives you.

There's something about pulling the trigger for the first time on the first rifle you build.

If you do decide to purchase the gauges, make sure you check the head space correctly.

Remove the extractor and ejector and then place the bolt back into the bolt carrier.

Place BCG back into upper, drop gauge into chamber and then see if bolt will go fully into battery.

It should chamber with slight pressure.  Do not force it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:05:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the input from everyone! Now I am thinking that I SHOULD check the head spacing prior to firing the rifle. Maybe I can find someone in my area that has a set of gauges that wouldn't mind working with me to check my rifle. I don't want to destroy or damage any parts and I sure don't want to injure myself!
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:06:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I've personally never head spaced any of my builds (5 total) & have never had an issue with quality parts. With that being said, it's possible to have a component out of spec.

You could always take it to a local gunsmith for head spacing, may even be able to do it at a local range. Prolly cheaper than buying the gauges for one time use.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 4:26:17 AM EDT
[#8]
^^^this.

If you are that concerned it makes sense to have a "pro" do it. Also that should be cheaper than the guages.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 7:55:24 AM EDT
[#9]
I've put together a few that were out of spec. Only way I knew was gauges. Why take the risk? Get it done or do it your self.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:56:05 AM EDT
[#10]
I won't fire a rifle (or even be around one some else is firing) in which the head space isn't known to be correct by testing.  

Many gunsmiths will run a quick test for you for free, though I always manage to find something in their shop to buy.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:56:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You could always take it to a local gunsmith for head spacing, may even be able to do it at a local range. Prolly cheaper than buying the gauges for one time use.
View Quote
Good advice if this is your one and only build.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:58:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been thinking about this lately because I'm working on a 6.5G SBR and there are 2 bolt face depths commonly available. I'm 99% sure I got the right bolt / barrel combo but I want to be 100% sure before firing.

And honestly had I known how many 5.56 builds I was going to complete upfront I would have just bought gauges from the start
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 1:01:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
This is what I did. If you're lucky, you might find one that does it for free.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:06:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Thank you for the input and step by step recommendations of checking headspacing. I have owned guns all of my life but this was my first build from scratch. (Hopefully not my last because I loved it!) I have decided that I will check the headspacing prior to firing it for the first time. I don't want to ruin a good weapon by being to over anxious to shoot it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:08:49 AM EDT
[#15]
I am going to do a little calling around and see if I can find someone willing to check it for me prior to firing it. Eventually I will buy a set of go/no go gauges for future builds. As we all know, there is no such thing as having to many AR's in the house! LOL! I am a little addicted to the build now!
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top