Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2017 11:10:27 AM EDT
Howdy,

As the subject line says... and I'm just curious if this is a tricky mod.

I have an Aimpoint PRO and I'd like to add a flip up to get the fixed sight out of the way.

I've watched a couple videos but none mentioned any pitfalls and I want to know what I'm getting into before I start investing.

Also any suggestions for best set up? I figure but haven't seen yet a gas block with a flip up... is there such a thing that's good quality?

I have a DD Omega rail and maybe just a low profile gas black and a rail sight....????

Thanks,

W
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:17:18 AM EDT
[#1]
No pitfalls.  Easy job.  Do it.

/It's not really an investment.  Stop calling it that.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:47:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Also any suggestions for best set up? I figure but haven't seen yet a gas block with a flip up... is there such a thing that's good quality?
View Quote

In my opinion, the best setup is keeping your fixed sight.  Aiming over it isn't difficult, it just takes a little bit to get used to.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:08:41 PM EDT
[#3]
You'd be better off selling your barrel with FSB and buying a new barrel and low pro gas block.  Once you chop your FSB your Colt barrel has lost most of it's resale value.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:19:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

In my opinion, the best setup is keeping your fixed sight.  Aiming over it isn't difficult, it just takes a little bit to get used to.
View Quote
What makes this "best setup"?

Thanks,

W
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:21:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You'd be better off selling your barrel with FSB and buying a new barrel and low pro gas block.  Once you chop your FSB your Colt barrel has lost most of it's resale value.
View Quote
This is also confusing... I mean....you can put it back on if you decide to sell right? You're not chopping, just sliding off right?

W
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:54:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thanks,

W
View Quote

I have a couple rifles with a fixed fs and a red dot optic.  KNS or Ma-Tech rear folder.  It is the best setup because front won't move and you don't have to deploy it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:55:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This is also confusing... I mean....you can put it back on if you decide to sell right? You're not chopping, just sliding off right?

W
View Quote

You are correct on this. Pins are tapered.  Make sure you measure them to insure you are pushing them out in the correct direction.  If you put grease on the barrel, you won't scratch it when removing the FSB.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:35:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thanks,

W
View Quote
It's personal preference, but it's the best in my opinion because it's fixed.  It's the most durable sight you can have, and probably the most accurate.

Your sight is pinned to the barrel.  It can't get any more secure than that.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:50:33 PM EDT
[#9]
OP is probably looking for something like YHM's gas block with folding front sight combo or the similar product from GG&G.  Both have decent reputations and are easily user installable.  If struck hard enough they can move though since they are not pinned.  If they move two bad things can happen.  One, the sight will be out of zero.  Two, if they move very much, the alignment of the gas block and barrel gas port may be off enough that the rifle may not fire.

OP can use a low profile gas block and flip up sight on his rail.  Because the Omega does not extend over the gas block, the block and the end of the gas tube will be exposed, however.   To keep it from moving, it might be best to either pin the replacement block rather than merely mount it with screws, or get a longer rail that will cover it to protect it from impact.

In the interest of full disclosure.  I do have a carbine with a DD Omega and run it with the regular A2 FSB front sight.  I have a precision rifle with folding front sight, but the rail is 12" and extends over a low profile gas block.   Either way is good.  I have no personal experience with the folding sight gas blocks I mentioned in the first paragraph above.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:13:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Sell the entire upper, and replace it with a BCM midlength railed upper.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 6:36:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Since no one has yet linked to them, here are the parts you are seeking for what you were talking about in your OP:

Attachment Attached File

http://www.avantlink.com/click.php?tt=cl&pw=55963&ctc=j1pk4plw8400zk8a00y51&mi=10077&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.brownells.com%2Frifle-parts%2Fsights%2Ffront-sights%2Far-15-m16-41-bl-silhouette-folding-front-sight-prod26728.aspx

Attachment Attached File

http://www.precisionreflex.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=186686&CAT=4292

Driving out the taper pins that attach your Colt's FSB can sometimes be difficult. Generally taper pins require a strong impact using a 2 1/2lb hammer to dislodge them. Sometimes that won't do it and they have to be pushed out with a hydraulic press. Sometimes they will ding right out with a tap from a regular hammer. Just all depends on how tight they were installed. Installing a replacement clamp on type device is pretty trivial.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top