Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2017 12:44:53 AM EDT
1. On my mp sport 2 the buffer doesn't show if it's an h2. I understand it's a carbine gas system and it's more harsh on the internal parts but I've heard you can eliminate the problem by getting a heavier buffer? If this were true which buffer would you get? 2nd. What's the barrel on the mp sport two? It's not chrome lined that I know of. Is it still good for mag dumps and durability?
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 9:50:16 AM EDT
[#1]
A heavier buffer increases lock time and reduces bolt bounce. For a 16" barrel with a carbine length gas system with no suppressor, I'd use an H or H1 buffer instead of an H2 buffer.

The barrel is not chrome lined but is QPQ treated. If you're concerned about mag dumps and durability, then QPQ treated barrels are probably a better choice for you than chrome lined.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 10:36:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A heavier buffer increases lock time and reduces bolt bounce. For a 16" barrel with a carbine length gas system with no suppressor, I'd use an H or H1 buffer instead of an H2 buffer.

The barrel is not chrome lined but is QPQ treated. If you're concerned about mag dumps and durability, then QPQ treated barrels are probably a better choice for you than chrome lined.
View Quote

Any buffer you recommend for an h1 and why not an h2
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 1:31:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Any buffer you recommend for an h1 and why not an h2
View Quote

An H or H1 buffer from Colt, BCM, or PSA should be ok.

The H2 was introduced to eliminate issues the 14.5" M4A1s had with bolt bounce when firing full auto. Your mag dumps out of a 16" AR are not going to come anywhere close to the rate of fire a full auto M4 has. An H or H1 buffer will provide the benefit that you're looking for with a heavier buffer.

If you're dead set on getting an H2 buffer, Aero Precision sells a very reasonably priced H2 buffer.
http://www.avantlink.com/click.php?tt=cl&pw=55963&ctc=j06yi4id0m00zk8a02gtd&mi=13601&url=https%3A%2F%2Faeroprecisionusa.com%2Far15-h2-buffer.html
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 3:20:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

An H or H1 buffer from Colt, BCM, or PSA should be ok.

The H2 was introduced to eliminate issues the 14.5" M4A1s had with bolt bounce when firing full auto. Your mag dumps out of a 16" AR are not going to come anywhere close to the rate of fire a full auto M4 has. An H or H1 buffer will provide the benefit that you're looking for with a heavier buffer.

If you're dead set on getting an H2 buffer, Aero Precision sells a very reasonably priced H2 buffer.
http://www.avantlink.com/click.php?tt=cl&pw=55963&ctc=j06yi4id0m00zk8a02gtd&mi=13601&url=https%3A%2F%2Faeroprecisionusa.com%2Far15-h2-buffer.html
View Quote

Do you recommend spikes tactical
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 4:03:49 PM EDT
[#5]
No, because Spikes ST-T1 and ST-T2 buffers weigh less than the H1 and H2 weights.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 4:24:01 PM EDT
[#6]
The Spike's units are not "buffers" in the traditional sense, they do not have the series of sliding weights so do not "buffer".

"H" and "H1" are the same thing in buffer weights. Nothing wrong with an H2 or even H3 if he wants to spend the money.

No a heavy buffer does not correct the timing problem, but it helps to mask some of the symptoms.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 4:35:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The Spike's units are not "buffers" in the traditional sense, they do not have the series of sliding weights so do not "buffer".

"H" and "H1" are the same thing in buffer weights. Nothing wrong with an H2 or even H3 if he wants to spend the money.

No a heavy buffer does not correct the timing problem, but it helps to mask some of the symptoms.
View Quote

We don't know if there is even a timing problem. From the information the OP has provided, this seems to be more of a theoretical question since we don't know if the OP is having bolt bounce, early unlocking, or any other issues.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 5:40:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

We don't know if there is even a timing problem. From the information the OP has provided, this seems to be more of a theoretical question since we don't know if the OP is having bolt bounce, early unlocking, or any other issues.
View Quote

I don't know since I haven't fired it yet. Any tips on how to identify these said issues? I understand that budget rifles such as mp sport two have standard internal parts that you can easily upgrade I'm just wondering what you can improve? Also would a full auto bcg be beneficial?
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 6:28:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
 ....... I haven't fired it yet.
View Quote

There is a very high probility that the rifle is just fine as-is.  Shoot it, lots, and then decide if anything needs to be changed.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 6:48:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

There is a very high probility that the rifle is just fine as-is.  Shoot it, lots, and then decide if anything needs to be changed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
 ....... I haven't fired it yet.

This... Just shoot it and then figure out whether or not you need to change things.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 7:02:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
1. On my mp sport 2 the buffer doesn't show if it's an h2. I understand it's a carbine gas system and it's more harsh on the internal parts but I've heard you can eliminate the problem by getting a heavier buffer? If this were true which buffer would you get? 2nd. What's the barrel on the mp sport two? It's not chrome lined that I know of. Is it still good for mag dumps and durability?
View Quote

Assuming your ejection pattern looks like mine below I'd probably go H/H1.   The review may also answer a few other questions you have about your rifle....

Smith & Wesson M&P Sport II AR-15 Review: Great Budget Rifle Or Piece Of Junk? (HD)
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 5:33:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Assuming your ejection pattern looks like mine below I'd probably go H/H1.   The review may also answer a few other questions you have about your rifle....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xZriIbjF6Q
View Quote

Great video, thank you sir.  I often wonder why people worry about things that dont matter because they saw it somewhere.  The M&P is great as is for the pricepoint.  It was my first rifle and has my highest round count, approaching 4K now, no problems whatsoever.  If there is a problem, it will go back under warranty but I do not anticipate ever having to do so,

Bottom line, get out and shoot that rifle, find out what you like and dont like, then built the rifle you want.  Leave the Sport alone, no sense having a box of unused parts laying around.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:44:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Fired it yesterday. Thanks everyone. It was fun ejection pattern was fair. (3 o clock if not a little higher). I just wish I had a different buffer to help with the recoil a little
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 7:16:53 PM EDT
[#14]
The M&P sport 2 will make you a fine rifle. I would go h buffer if you want to try to soften it a bit, as well as swap out the flash hider for a brake like a vg6 gamma if you want to mag dump it. Mag dumps are a waste of ammo IMO but to each their own. The Sport 2 also only has a 4140 chromoly barrel vs the 4150 on the original. It would service you fine, just might not get the life or accuracy out of it if your dumping mags.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:28:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have an MP Sport and it Is a good rifle as is.  I saw no need to upgrade it.  I have discovered there are things that I would like a black rifle to do that the Sport doesnt, so I built what I wanted.  I still shoot the Sport every time I go to the range with the rest of the family.  Each rifle is purpose built so is different from its brothers.

Get out and shoot that rifle before you try and guess or ask about upgrades.  Its kinda like putting the cart before the horse and there is no reason to have a box of parts laying around that have no use.  Spend some money on ammo before any accessories.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top