Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2017 4:04:44 PM EDT
So I'm not exactly new to shooting, but this current ar is the one I've had my hands in sighting it in... I'm a bit unpracticed, but I'm trying to get to where I can go shoot on the regular. (gotta re-stockpile some ammo)

That being said, I took this new gun to the range for it's 2nd run. M&P sport II with fancy dress... Vortex strikefire II.

Since some idiot had gotten ahold of the adjustment knobs, I had the range guy bore sight it before going out on the range. Only 2 of the 3 shots landed on paper. I managed to adjust it in ok, but man he had it way off, like upper left not even on the target print side of the paper... But here's the paper where I was walking it in, 3 shots, check, adjust, repeat.

This one, the holes at the bottom left were actually from the other side of the paper, where their boresight put it... But this was again 3-4 shots, check, adjust, repeat. I got smart on this one and started numbering them... lol #5 was using the iron sights... I think I've got that corrected for the most part, since I've gotten back home, er, well it's at least lined up with the dot better.

This was round 3....

and  Round 4. I was fairly confident I had it sighted where I wanted it and picked up the pace, and it shows, I think. Also I wasn't pulling the target back in every 3-4 shots, I was coming to the end of my range time, and was just running thru some ammo... up to 160 rounds thru it so far... lol

Oh the 3 up towards the top of the target were intentional, I wanted a different point of aim, to see where it was not at the orange splotch.

So, now I've got the dot where it needs to be, am I correct in saying I'm pulling my shots on the hurry? Any other tips on how to improve in addition to just more practice?

TIA
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 7:27:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe I missed it, but what distance were you at?
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 9:39:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maybe I missed it, but what distance were you at?
View Quote

Oh crap, sorry, 50yds. It's a indoor range so the lighting is pretty horrible, and I don't think I could hit at 100yds with just the dot and backup sights... I think at 100 the dot would prolly cover most of the target.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 10:08:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Even if the dot covers much of the target, the middle is still the middle.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 3:24:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Shoot supported when zeroing.
Zero at 30ft. Use this target: http://jerkingthetrigger.com/2015/02/13/zeroing-target-50200-yard-zero-at-10-yards/ If you hold on a target, that's going to get you within 2" up or down between 0-200yds. Print a bunch.

Practice dry firing before you go to the range again.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 5:48:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Shoot supported when zeroing.
Zero at 30ft. Use this target: http://jerkingthetrigger.com/2015/02/13/zeroing-target-50200-yard-zero-at-10-yards/ If you hold on a target, that's going to get you within 2" up or down between 0-200yds. Print a bunch.

Practice dry firing before you go to the range again.
http://jerkingthetrigger.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/10-Yard-50-200-Zero-Target.png
View Quote

Sweet! thanks!

The range I went to had supports, and I had pulled the VFG off even tho I could've left it on...

Next outing I'll prolly go to a different range and see what they have going on I think all the others in town are outdoor ranges. The one for this session had 2 options, 50yds or 100....
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 5:51:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah definitely drop the VFG until you are comfortable with the rifle. If you want to leave it on, bring your own bags/stands.

A rough zero is okay for indoor ranges, but you still have to go confirm that zero at distance for it to mean anything. Everyone's barrel, ammo, conditions, etc are different, so it's REALLY important that you know where your rounds are hitting.

That 30ft zero target is a huge help for not spending 45 minutes and 30 rounds trying to zero.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 2:14:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Thank you, Unpleasant, for the cool 30yd zero target!
I have been wanting to do something like this for a while now,, and this will make it much easier!
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:02:33 PM EDT
[#8]
You're not that bad at 50 yards, to be honest.

If you really want to practice, just get a .22lr conversion kit. I have one and been using it to practice a lot more than with the 5.56. It's a little off but for the most part same POI as with my .223 ammo.

Just make sure you practice good fundamentals at home before hitting the range. Make sure you got your stance right but most important your grip and trigger pull correct.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:51:19 AM EDT
[#9]
FWIW OP, I have always zeroed my rifles at the 25 yard indoor range off a make shift rest and semi wobbly bench. With every one of them, irons or red dots, I can hit my 10" steel targets out to 300 yards with boring reliability. I know....far from impressive or super precision work, but ask your self this, do you want to have fun shooting, or chase holes around paper all day? I know what I'd do..............one of which is NOT monkey fuck around with that 30 feet zero. Do it at 25 yards, just like the boys working for Uncle Sam. Anything can be a rest, a pack, a wad of jackets, etc... once your zeroed, then shoot it like you stole it, and everything will be fine. A 16" carbine with a red dot does not need to put every bullet in the same hole to be effective.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:10:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
FWIW OP, I have always zeroed my rifles at the 25 yard indoor range off a make shift rest and semi wobbly bench. With every one of them, irons or red dots, I can hit my 10" steel targets out to 300 yards with boring reliability. I know....far from impressive or super precision work, but ask your self this, do you want to have fun shooting, or chase holes around paper all day? I know what I'd do..............one of which is NOT monkey fuck around with that 30 feet zero. Do it at 25 yards, just like the boys working for Uncle Sam. Anything can be a rest, a pack, a wad of jackets, etc... once your zeroed, then shoot it like you stole it, and everything will be fine. A 16" carbine with a red dot does not need to put every bullet in the same hole to be effective.
View Quote
You've completely missed the point of that 30ft target. It simulates a 50/200yd zero at 30ft. It lets you make large corrections to get on paper at 30ft so when you go to actually zero at 50yds you'll be within inches instead of off paper.

There's some merit in discussing the 25m, 36yd, and 50yd zeros and their intended uses, but there's no monkey fucking involved using that target as aid to zero rifles.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:20:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You've completely missed the point of that 30ft target. It simulates a 50/200yd zero at 30ft. It lets you make large corrections to get on paper at 30ft so when you go to actually zero at 50yds you'll be within inches instead of off paper.

There's some merit in discussing the 25m, 36yd, and 50yd zeros and their intended uses, but there's no monkey fucking involved using that target as aid to zero rifles.
View Quote
Ahhh, alright I see. Sometimes I am a little dense. Hopefully no offense given, I like to speak bluntly.............even if I'm wrong
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:33:18 PM EDT
[#12]
not really any quick-and-easy tips or tricks to shooting.  someone already said to dry-fire, which is always good.

If you are so inclined, maybe add some dummy rounds to help identify flinching issues (which are relatively common with new users) and to help learn correcting simple malfunctions.

If you plan on practicing reloading quickly, use magazines that aren't totally full.  it'll help you get the feel of what a "last round" feels like, and it'll help with your overall manipulation

me? I'd just make sure that I check my ego at the door and relax while I shoot.
here's what I mean by that:

some people have a hard time with performance by continually comparing themselves to others.  it's social stress and it doesn't help.  don't worry about what everybody else is doing, just focus on what you're doing... and do your best.  have fun, it's supposed to be fun

one of the cool things about shooting: it's therapeutic. if you have a personal expectation to perform, you have no choice but to clear your head about everything else but shooting.  you can't think about more than one thing at a time.  so, be present, do what you came to do.  shoot.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top