Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2017 6:40:53 AM EDT
Im putting together my first ar15 and was looking at bcg's. I think ive narrowed it down to a young mfg chrome bcg from rainer. Is this a good choice? I seen that they have a young national match for $245 but didnt know if it was worth the extra money?
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 6:58:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to the board!

Don't bother with the National Match carrier. While it is well made and a quality piece it adds nothing.  

I bought one years ago because N/M!  I must need it.   I just started using it about ten months ago because I already had it in the parts box.  

No need to waste your money on it.  Now a standard style but with a chrome finish does wipe clean easier than a parkerized carrier but I really wouldn't pay much extra for the flash and sparkle of chrome.  But that's just me.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:50:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Welcome to the board!

Don't bother with the National Match carrier. While it is well made and a quality piece it adds nothing.  

I bought one years ago because N/M!  I must need it.   I just started using it about ten months ago because I already had it in the parts box.  

No need to waste your money on it.  Now a standard style but with a chrome finish does wipe clean easier than a parkerized carrier but I really wouldn't pay much extra for the flash and sparkle of chrome.  But that's just me.
View Quote
I agree. I always suggest a bcm bcg unless this is some 5.56 that your trying to get a 1" group out of at 7K yards. Me personally I just don't think it's worth the extra $ for flash. Now if you want a NM bcg go ahead and get it. I think you would be better served with a good match trigger than the bcg.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:12:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Young is gtg. No need to spend the extra $ on NM, unless you find it pleasing in some way.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:43:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replys, I think I'll go with the chrome lined and save the money.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 11:20:28 PM EDT
[#5]
On the other hand, if you're doing some kind of halo build where it's as much about pride of ownership and crazy good machining and finish, get one of Wes Grant's MSTN Young National Match carriers.  It's well over $300, though.  They're finish passed, chromed and IonBonded.  The surface is like black glass and holds lube well.  The LMT bolt is IonBonded down to the gas rings.  He also has a milspec profile Young that's a bit cheaper but finished the same.  I went with the NM for my precision build for the weight and the regular one for my SBR.  

Is it overkill? Definitely.  But when the bolt tail cleans up like a Teflon frying pan and the BCG slides back in like it's on bearings, it's hard not to smile. 
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 12:59:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I'll be the lone voice of dissent. Why wouldnt you run the N/M? 

Link Posted: 3/19/2017 1:27:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Because I don't expect my hard chrome Young standard carriers to wear out any time soon.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 5:46:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Because I don't expect my hard chrome Young standard carriers to wear out any time soon.
View Quote
Whoa whoa whoa. Now your bringing practicality and such into the mix. Thats going too far! 
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top