Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2017 8:47:06 PM EDT
UPDATE:
Thanks to the input from this BB I was confident that DD was the way to go so I called DD....  decided on the MK12 tornado ... comes with
Geissele SSA 2-stage trigger about 3 pounds.. Rifle gas system (easiest on parts, and max velocity).

==========
I know this has been asked before but so far (new to this board) I have not seen an answer...maybe its' there but have not seen it...
New to AR and looking for a MID or HIGH end AR... why?  Because I have spoken with some guys that started with a basic rifle and over time spent 3 times the amount of money trying to make it into a MID or HIGH end rifle...  I would like to save money and cut to the chase.
Any advice is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks
===================================
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 9:04:32 PM EDT
[#1]
My wife has one, no complaints.

Western Sport, a site sponsor has good deals on DD stuff.
Western Sport link
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 9:20:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Per the high round count AR thread, their bolt carrier groups and barrels are among the best.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 9:21:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 9:24:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes
View Quote

Fitting username

OP they make solid rifles
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 9:56:34 PM EDT
[#5]
You can't go wrong with DD.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:08:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 12:09:44 AM EDT
[#7]
If you can find one with the handguard you want in  the configuration  you want yes.

If not, build or you will wind up still spending a good bit of money.

I have yet to see an ar I can buy off the shelf for less than 3k that I wouldn't change half the parts.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 12:12:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I got a few.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 12:15:23 AM EDT
[#9]
I am a huge fan of DD, their customer service is second to none and their products are outstanding.

I once lost the mounting screws to a handguard and contacted them to buy some, they gave them to me and shipped them on their own dime. I had a very similar experience with BCM. Both are great.

You will not be disappointed, my only complaints are that they don't pin their gas blocks (most companies don't) and they don't have any RIS IIs to sell.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 2:16:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I am a huge fan of DD, their customer service is second to none and their products are outstanding.

I once lost the mounting screws to a handguard and contacted them to buy some, they gave them to me and shipped them on their own dime. I had a very similar experience with BCM. Both are great.

You will not be disappointed, my only complaints are that they don't pin their gas blocks (most companies don't) and they don't have any RIS IIs to sell.
View Quote

My m4v11 has a pinned gas block.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 10:49:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Excellent rifles, you will likely never have any issues as long as you own it.  You mention wanting to buy a nice rifle right off the bat to avoid paying for upgrades later.  What features are you looking for or what are you trying to get out of this rifle?
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:57:55 PM EDT
[#12]
They've got a shining reputation here. 

That being said I think their furniture is ugly as.... 
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 2:29:13 PM EDT
[#13]
I have one with the Key Mod Lightweight Upper, grey in color. I don't remember what it is really called. I can't say that I have had  any trouble with it, but it did come with the worst trigger pull I just about every seen on a AR, (like dragging a flat bottom boat across a dry creek bed), and my buddy has one also, different configuration, but has also commented that his has a terrible trigger. For a 1,400 dollar gun, it ought to have a decent trigger. But it's a moot issue now, as  I did swap out the trigger and it has a nice trigger now. I guess the real test would be a lot of rounds down range, but I  have heard they hold up well in that department, mine  has not had that many rounds run through it, yet.

However,  I think AR's are a lot like 1911's; I have never seen one yet, off of the shelf, that I didn't end up changing something on it, and sometimes quite a few things, before I was satisfied.

I think we are quite fortunate right now, in that there is a virtual sea of AR's available in many configurations at decent prices, which can allow us to find something we like, in a complete rifle, if we don't want to build from the ground up. I think in the future though, I will build one from the ground up, but I don't know if I am experienced enough to know what I really want, for sure.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 10:34:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I got one, its my first AR so I have no previous experience to compare it to, but its 100% reliable and seems to be built very very well. Very accurate rifle

Kaaaaa boooooom

Link Posted: 2/5/2017 6:07:48 AM EDT
[#15]
My DDM4V1 is my first ar. I really wanted a M4V11 but no one locally had them in stock. Only shot about 500 rounds through it with no issues. My only gripe is that it's heavy. Just got done building my first ar, it ended up being lighter and costing me less than what I got the DD rifle for.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 4:09:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Thank you
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 4:09:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Thank you
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 4:12:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Exactly !   That is why I am interested in a higher tier AR from the get-go....   a fellow at the range said he was sucked into the game of buying low end for first AR and after spending $$$ to upgrade that thing to a point that he was kind of happy with it.... he could have purchased a top of the line anything...
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 4:15:03 PM EDT
[#19]
thank you
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 4:16:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Thank you !

Is that an ETS group AR Magazine???  how do you like it?
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 4:24:24 PM EDT
[#21]
I've got a mk18, love it. I'm not such a fan of their new furniture though..
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 6:47:38 PM EDT
[#22]
I put one of their bolt carrier groups and lightweight barrels in my wife's AR and it shoots great!
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 5:05:13 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a lot of their parts but not a complete rifle.  If I was buying a complete rifle they definitely would be a brand I would be willing to buy.  DD, BCM, Spikes, Colt all are in my top brands of if I was buying a complete rifle it would be one of these.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 9:19:33 AM EDT
[#24]
I have one their Ambush rifles in 300 B.O. it has been a fabulous rifle and made me a DD fan. Geiselle trigger is stock.Only thing I have changed was the stock.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 12:46:14 AM EDT
[#25]
They're good. I'd plan on upgrading the trigger, but that goes for most I think.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 11:37:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Just curious what features you would expect a mid to high end AR to have over a lower end AR?
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:32:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Thank you for taking the time to answer
Thanks to the input from this BB I was confident that DD was the way to go so I called DD....  decided on the MK12... comes with Geissele SSA 2 stage trigger...  about 3 pounds..
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 2:12:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Well, the first non-negotiable is a Cold Hammered Forged barrel... 
Quality of bolt
Well, here are more reasons:  ooops apparently because I am new to this BB I am only allowed to post short messages...so I'll post a link...
<
Daniel Defense MK12 (Daniel Defense Tornado®)      
            https://danieldefense.com/firearms/caliber/5-56x45mm/daniel-defense-mk12-dd-tornado.html                                                  

And one can tell the quality of a firearm by the warrantee....  I called Daniel Defense and was told that their Lifetime Warrantee is for the life of the firearm no matter who owns it... so if a father buys one and some years later gives it to his son, and the son gives it to his son, the warrantee is still active.  As far as I can tell *no* other manufacturer has that.

Thanks to all here who pointed me in the right direction.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 8:24:53 PM EDT
[#29]
I have very limited experience but I do have a DDM4V5 and I love it.  It is my first and only AR experience.  I decided to buy it based on recommendations and research.  I couldn't be happier and am looking forward to buying a DD5V2 someday...when I can afford another fine weapon.  I have changed the furniture on my V5 to Flat Dark Earth but just for the cosmetics.  Great shooter!
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 2:28:03 PM EDT
[#30]
I tried a DD V1 which was great (wasn't mine)...

But it seems DD stuff is made for larger stronger guys since it's a tad more front heavy than other brands

SO MUCH RAIL XD lol

Very high quality, I just wish they would cut down the excess weight up front

They should offer a DD V1 Lite or something
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 8:57:19 AM EDT
[#31]
DD is a great choice, and that rifle is one of their best.  FYI, the Geissele SSA trigger, is 4.5 lbs, total pass through, not about 3.  But, it is a great trigger.  I run the precision variation, the SSA-E which is 3.5 lbs. total.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 9:07:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
They're good. I'd plan on upgrading the trigger, but that goes for most I think.
View Quote

The Mk 12 comes from the factory with a Geissele SSA 2 stage trigger.  Would you upgrade that?  To what, and why?  Many would say that is the best general purpose AR trigger in the world. What would you suggest for his application?
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 11:46:10 PM EDT
[#33]
DDM4v5 and v11.  Love them
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 6:46:48 PM EDT
[#34]
I got a m4v7 lw with mlok an love it, I did add a SSA trigger.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 3:30:45 PM EDT
[#35]
MK12 tornado is a great choice, you won't regret it.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top