Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2017 10:59:21 PM EDT
Hey got a question. I just built an spr style upper using the aero m4e1 upper and rail. When I installed the flash hider I had the upper secured in a vise block. I had to torque it pretty good to time it right. Afterwards I was enlightened that I should have secured the barrel itself while installing the flash hider so as not to stress the upper or risk shearing the index pin. So I am a little paranoid that I may have some how damaged the upper or barrel. Got no reason to suspect any damage, didn't hear any cracks or snaps. So can anyone offer any peace of mind? Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:04:32 PM EDT
[#1]
If the upper and lower mate correctly, you are probably ok. Years ago, i tweaked an upper so bad it wouldn't lock onto the lower.....at all. I then purchased a reaction rod.

Eta. Chances of you damaging the barrel are really slim. It's the upper that takes the abuse when torquing a muzzle device or barrel nut.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:29:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I've done that a couple times. I try to be cautious as twisting the upper is possible.

An easy solution would to buy barrel blocks, or soft jaws for your vise, and clamp the barrel into that.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:32:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:44:23 PM EDT
[#4]
All seems to be gtg. Functions fine. Just ordered the Magpul bev block .
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:46:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I just built a set of barrel blocks, I can't get my 6.5" vise tight enough with soft jaws in them to get the barrel from turning, hardwood or even a section of 2x4 with a hole drilled through it cut in half will work for a set of barrel blocks, you just need to make sure you can actually reef a bit on the vise without throwing things off, mine vise is a 6.5" with a handle that is over 12" long, so I can get some pretty good leverage on it.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top