Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2017 9:06:54 PM EDT
I have a FN15 but I still wanna scratch that itch of having a A2. Colt has a few examples on the civi market I can get used as well as Bushmaster.

Or is it better to build?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:30:36 PM EDT
[#1]
  I prefer  to buy
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:45:54 PM EDT
[#2]
If you're picky and want everything your way, plus you really want to learn a lot, and have fun at the same time, BUILD.

The only downside is you'll go nuts trying to pick from the thousands of available parts
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:34:42 PM EDT
[#3]
It's really personal preference, but A2 clones are IMO some of the easier clones to build. A2 uppers are getting more scarce but you still can find them. Handguards are also still available from many sources. Everything else is current production.

Best A2 IMO is:

Colt or FN A2 upper
Windham Weaponry 20" 1/7 A2 barrel w/ peel washer
USGI A2 handguards
Colt A2 pistol grip w/ Ergo 'gapper'
A1 stock w/ A2 buttplate
Mil-spec LPK
Mil-spec BCG

Lower can be an 80% engraved by Braceman or really just a generic forged lower such as the ones by Range Tool.

The only clones easier to build right now are M4s and M16A4s.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:29:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I like building them.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:37:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Absolutely build!  

I'm a purist.  Colt or FN all the way.  The parts are out there… it just takes patience.  Colt A2 barrels with bayonet lugs seem to be hard to come by lately.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 4:36:54 AM EDT
[#6]
If you live in Kommifornia like I do then without a doubt BUILD!!! It's one of the few ways to legally keep your toys off the radar here. I just got back into guns recently (real recently) and just finished my 3rd build 3 days ago. I've done a 16" 5.56, an 18" wylde and a 16" 458 SOCOM. Like someone said above, the learning part is really cool too. I dig it. The satisfaction of piecing it together yourself is awesome. I choose to do 80%ers because buying finished lowers means they get registered as long guns, which I want no part of. For me, the real satisfaction has been milling and drilling the lowers. Takes a lot of time, especially the 7075 lowers, but it's very enjoyable. So whatever you decide to do, enjoy!
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 4:47:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Depends if there's a rifle with all the features I want or not. I like some of the stock KAC and Daniel Defense rifles. But I tend to prefer to build most rifles these days since I'm picky about parts.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:48:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I have both built, and I have bought LE Trade in Colt A2's but building was very much an enjoyable experience.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:54:04 PM EDT
[#9]
When it comes to buying an A2 rifle or carbine, the choices are limited these days. Even just the upper assemblies are limited. Even at that, many are not built to similar specs as the real M16A1 or M16A2 series carbines. Many of the upper assemblies will have 1/9 twist barrels and not 1/7 twist. Quite frankly, you are better off buying a striped or complete A2 upper and building your own. Windham Weaponry has one of the best 20" A2 gov't profile barrels available. They are a few companies who offer nice A2 buttstocks and CAR stocks (for some carbines).
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:44:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got an Olympic Arms A2 Upper for sale in the EE. It doesn't have Handguards, but they aren't hard to come buy, and is missing the forward assist which I took of years ago. You can pretty much install the forward assist with some pliers. Message me if you want info.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_159/1662732_Olympic-Arms-SS-A2-Upper.html
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:23:38 AM EDT
[#11]
I would say buy, but you have to have patience.. And that is if you can live with ban era Colt "issues" like sear block, etc. Those don't bother me, so..

Last few months, there have been a few ban and preban era "A2"s LE trades on gunbroker for as low as $650... Some have even been ban era LEO rifles with a M16A2 barrel with bayonet lug. As opposed to the Sporters with no bayonet lug. Sure, they are used but that just means you don't have to worry about scratches, etc.

With a Colt, you get known quality, "correct" color parts, etc..

Of course, I am a Colt snob from 20 years of service. Almost Everytime that I have tried a clone, something disappoints me. It's the little things like finish, mushy selector, minor parts differences, etc. Same reasons I don't do AK builds.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 3:23:53 PM EDT
[#12]
On factory guns there are so many more good choices in so many flavors than ever. That said, if you want it JUST SO, you build or buy factory and modify. I couldn't find what I wanted so I built.  Didn't save any money but had a lot of fun and got (Or getting) exactly what I wanted.

If you're particular and/or you like to tinker, build. If you don't have extremely pacticular ideas about your gun and you just want to shoot, just buy one. I don't think I'd build another.  The factory guns have gotten so good.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:19:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you live in Kommifornia like I do then without a doubt BUILD!!! It's one of the few ways to legally keep your toys off the radar here. I just got back into guns recently (real recently) and just finished my 3rd build 3 days ago. I've done a 16" 5.56, an 18" wylde and a 16" 458 SOCOM. Like someone said above, the learning part is really cool too. I dig it. The satisfaction of piecing it together yourself is awesome. I choose to do 80%ers because buying finished lowers means they get registered as long guns, which I want no part of. For me, the real satisfaction has been milling and drilling the lowers. Takes a lot of time, especially the 7075 lowers, but it's very enjoyable. So whatever you decide to do, enjoy!
View Quote
Interesting, most people don't really care that it's considered a long gun. It's more of that f Cali, or just an easier way to get an AR... because gun shops here up in the Bay are raising their prices like hell.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 6:20:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I like building them.
View Quote
It's actually more expensive for me to build my own, however I get a finished product that's exactly what I want. I always purchase a WOA, CLE, Noveske, Rainier Arms or similar match grade stainless steel barrel for my builds. Every one has been accurate as hell with match grade ammo. I use match triggers and free float tubes on virtually every rifle I build.

If all you want is an A2 service rifle then I would encourage you to just buy it. Colt, FN or Bravo Company all sell decent A2 rifles and you can't go wrong with any of them. You may be able to put it together for cheaper, but whatever you do buy a quality barrel. It's the heart and soul of any rifle and paying more to get better is always money well spent.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 1:55:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It's actually more expensive for me to build my own, however I get a finished product that's exactly what I want. I always purchase a WOA, CLE, Noveske, Rainier Arms or similar match grade stainless steel barrel for my builds. Every one has been accurate as hell with match grade ammo. I use match triggers and free float tubes on virtually every rifle I build.

If all you want is an A2 service rifle then I would encourage you to just buy it. Colt, FN or Bravo Company all sell decent A2 rifles and you can't go wrong with any of them. You may be able to put it together for cheaper, but whatever you do buy a quality barrel. It's the heart and soul of any rifle and paying more to get better is always money well spent.
View Quote
Colt, FN & BCM do NOT sell A2 rifles.  I don't believe FN nor BCM ever did actually and Colt isn't doing any A2s now.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 5:08:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Another nice part about building is the ability to distribute the cost over time by waiting for deals.  A couple hundred here or there doesn't feel as bad as several hundred all at once.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 5:07:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I prefer to build all of my AR's. I think these days there isnt much, if any, cost savings but, I build them exactly like I want em. You can find some nice used FN or Colt A2 uppers on the EE from time to time. These make for nice A2 builds. I recently used a Windham A2 barrel, with DPMS furnature, DPMS LPK, and a Spikes lower. The only thing remotely special in the build was the addition of a RRA match trigger. All put together with an AIM bolt and BCG its a great A2 build (secretly I like the A2 over all AR types).
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top