Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2017 1:01:30 PM EDT
If I have a stripped FN A2 upper, could the Milspec irons be replaced with NM irons without any modifications such as machining?

If so, what about the rear irons in a detachable carry handle?
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 1:21:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I am not sure on the NM irons, I think they will fit the A2 upper fine.

A2 upper/detachable carry handle sight parts are different, if I remember right.

Somebody with more experience on the subject will be along I'm sure.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 1:27:51 PM EDT
[#2]
if it's for competition use you'll want the machine work done.

Otherwise you'll have the side-to-side (actually rotational) play that a standard rear sight produces.

But yeah, they're basically the same.

A good place to get the rear sight pinned (to prevent rotational variation) is (of course) White Oak Precision
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 1:37:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
if it's for competition use you'll want the machine work done.

Otherwise you'll have the side-to-side (actually rotational) play that a standard rear sight produces.

But yeah, they're basically the same.

A good place to get the rear sight pinned (to prevent rotational variation) is (of course) White Oak Precision
View Quote
So it would probably in the end just be better idea to buy a NM upper?
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 2:58:11 PM EDT
[#4]
a dedicated national match upper is always a good idea
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 11:04:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Having a pinned rear sight is not necessary to shoot high master scores. There are many distinguished shooter that I know with out pinned rear sights.

Swap to the NM sights and shoot, if after shooting you feel that a non pinned sight is holding you back then get it pinned, by then you will probably need a new barrel anyways
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:46:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Having a pinned rear sight is not necessary to shoot high master scores. There are many distinguished shooter that I know with out pinned rear sights.

Swap to the NM sights and shoot, if after shooting you feel that a non pinned sight is holding you back then get it pinned, by then you will probably need a new barrel anyways
View Quote
this is true for most typical additional features, like freely-floated barrels, lead weights, optical sights, etc
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 6:05:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

So it would probably in the end just be better idea to buy a NM upper?
View Quote
Many national match sights are machined so thay they have much less play between the two wings of the carry handle.

The Armalight NM rear sight has a raised ledge opposite of the ball detent to ensure less side to side play.

Yes a standard NM rear will fit the A2 just fine.

For a carry handle you will need a nm sight designed for a carry handle as it has less elevation. Fitting a a2 carry handle sight will cause the threaded portion to extend past the bottotm of the detachable carry handle.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 8:41:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
a dedicated national match upper is always a good idea
View Quote
 Always a good idea.

John at WOP pioneered the pinned rear sight, he gets his parts from CLE. The only other pinned rear sights were First strike where Anna tried to one up John by adding a third pin, John is the only one still doing this. The two different types of play pinning reduces are twist and rock. Twist can be reduced by welding a tit to each lower corner of the front of the sight and then fitting it to the upper. Rock can be addressed by shimming the elevation wheel so it is tight in the upper. The bigger issue is will the sight track all the way to the left and then back to the right and up and down in measured clicks, there are a couple of dial gauges that measure this, Ray-Vin is a good one if you can find it.

Of course all of this is academic since fixed 4.5x scopes are the accepted norm now, for service rifle iron sights are dead. I know blasphemy but time and technology moves on.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top