Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2017 3:35:04 PM EDT
I looked through 2 of the photo threads above and saw only 1 that I can remember. Didn't want to hijack the photo thread to ask this. I have heard that the .Mil does use collapsable stocks on a2s. I'm building one right now and I am kinda planning on using a collapsable stock. I have an a2 stock on a m4, so I could switch if I decide and then have 2 correct looking builds.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 3:42:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Canadian C7A2
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 3:52:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Canadian C7A2
View Quote
That slipped my mind. Funny my build will have a c7 upper, but triangular handguards. I already bought a Rogers super stoc for it. I also have all the parts for a m4 lower, but I'm thinking about building a 20" a2 upper to go on it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 4:43:30 PM EDT
[#3]
No pix, but I saw a lot of guard guys in Iraq and Afghanistan put carbine stocks on their A2s.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 9:41:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
No pix, but I saw a lot of guard guys in Iraq and Afghanistan put carbine stocks on their A2s.
View Quote
Do you recall what stocks you saw? 4 position car, m4, magpul, etc.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 9:59:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Do you recall what stocks you saw? 4 position car, m4, magpul, etc.
View Quote
A handful of years ago the Army authorized a 4-pos M4 ("waffle") kit to be installed on A2s for smaller framed Soldiers and the like.  It was a standard, modern M4 stock with a buffer heavier than the standard M4, referred to as the H6.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:31:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Google
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 11:51:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Not .mil, but here's this.

Link Posted: 4/24/2017 11:52:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Gross!

Attachment Attached File

Not an A2 but you get the idea

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 10:00:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Here's a picture of some salty A2's that was posted in the forums a while back.  That well-worn A2 upper up front got me

Link Posted: 4/26/2017 5:44:30 AM EDT
[#10]
So what weight of buffer would this require ?
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 9:15:20 AM EDT
[#11]
I've put a 20" A2 HBAR upper on one of my Carbine lowers.... I quickly undid this. VERY unbalanced with that heavy barrel.

However, I do like the A2 rifle lower with a carbine upper. That is a comfortable setup.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 10:29:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So what weight of buffer would this require ?
View Quote
Canadians use an HH (H2), and earlier kits for the U.S. military appear to have come with H2s as well.

For U.S. weapons, however, the "spec'ed" part is an H6, around the weight of an H3, but using six instead of three tungsten weights.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 11:46:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Canadians use an HH (H2), and earlier kits for the U.S. military appear to have come with H2s as well.

For U.S. weapons, however, the "spec'ed" part is an H6, around the weight of an H3, but using six instead of three tungsten weights.  

~Augee
View Quote
This H6 buffer I'm assuming is not the same buffer for an M4?
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 1:33:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've put a 20" A2 HBAR upper on one of my Carbine lowers.... I quickly undid this. VERY unbalanced with that heavy barrel.

However, I do like the A2 rifle lower with a carbine upper. That is a comfortable setup.
View Quote
I put a m4 clone upper on an a2 lower and also really liked it. Funny thing is I had that same barrel (numerich 14.5" bushmaster pinned and welded) on a m4 lower and used a carbine buffer, no problem, but with a PSA a2 stock it kicked like a 20ga shotgun. I installed a wolf extra power spring and a custom made brass weight in the bolt carrier before it tamed down. It seems like the opposite of what people say will happen.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 2:00:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This H6 buffer I'm assuming is not the same buffer for an M4?
View Quote
The H6 is not.

The M4 Carbine (R0920) uses an "H" buffer, while the M4A1 Carbine (R0921HB) that is replacing the M4 uses an "H2" buffer.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 2:03:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Despite the date, these pics were taken in late 2011, in Tallil, Iraq:

Link Posted: 4/26/2017 2:24:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The H6 is not.

The M4 Carbine (R0920) uses an "H" buffer, while the M4A1 Carbine (R0921HB) that is replacing the M4 uses an "H2" buffer.  

~Augee
View Quote
So would they have used this buffer in the MK12?
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 3:28:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So would they have used this buffer in the MK12?
View Quote
Never say never, but it's unlikely.  The H6 buffer kit has only been around since 2010-11, and MK 12 production was discontinued long before that.    

Meanwhile, understand that Crane recommends against the use of carbine receiver extension/buffer/action spring because of adverse reliability, and such conversions therefore usually did not originate from Crane, but were rather unit-level modifications which could have/would have used whatever was available, be it carbine, H, or H2.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:38:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Here's a picture of some salty A2's that was posted in the forums a while back.  That well-worn A2 upper up front got me

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/CAR-AR-M16/A1A2M4.jpg
View Quote
That was a pic I took at Fort Sill several years ago. Here is another I took around the same time.

Link Posted: 4/28/2017 2:10:20 PM EDT
[#20]
I think in the pic thread there is a pic of a dude with an A2 20"er with a 203, and ACOG on top and a CAR stock.  And CD posted a pic of some A2's in theater with waffle stocks.  I'm too lazy to go back thorugh it all.  I just did it the other day.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 8:20:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That was a pic I took at Fort Sill several years ago. Here is another I took around the same time.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/CAR-AR-M16/A2M4.jpg
View Quote
Wow, they still use the lbv?

I actually didn't hate them. I just didn't realize they still had them.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 1:42:28 PM EDT
[#22]
In 2005/06 we initially mobilized for Iraq with new ACU uniforms and mostly old school TA-50.  Later during the mobilization process, we received our RFI gear (Rapid Field Initiative) consisting of body armor and newer ACU gear.  I'm guessing that this pic was from that time period.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 3:15:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I put a m4 clone upper on an a2 lower and also really liked it. Funny thing is I had that same barrel (numerich 14.5" bushmaster pinned and welded) on a m4 lower and used a carbine buffer, no problem, but with a PSA a2 stock it kicked like a 20ga shotgun. I installed a wolf extra power spring and a custom made brass weight in the bolt carrier before it tamed down. It seems like the opposite of what people say will happen.
View Quote
The 20 inch barrel generates about 19,000 psi on the bolt face and the 14.5 inch barrel generates about 24,000 psi. The primary reason why carbines wear out the bolts faster than the rifle version is the higher pressure, and thus more "kick" on your rifle buffer..
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:37:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Thank guys. Even though it's proven it could be clone correct it seems the general consensus is that it's kinda lame. The one I carried had an a2 stock. I went ahead and bought an a2 stock.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top