Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2017 7:08:11 PM EDT
Anybody still making the older pre m4 4 position car stock and skinny handguards for a carbine?  
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 7:14:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 8:08:41 PM EDT
[#2]
7 hole skinnys at JSE, DS ARMS, Gunpartscorp and M&A parts. Also Mod 1 Sales.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 5:47:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Model 1 had six hole handguards in 2012 when I bought from them.
Not sure if they are still six holes though.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 6:27:47 PM EDT
[#4]
DSA has similar 6 hole for a good price.  There have been several Colt on the EE lately for 45-60. As stated the M&A carbine stock is nearly a perfect match.  Tonys Customs has them too.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:57:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Rock river arms and BCM.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 11:02:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a box in can dig through and see if I have some
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 11:19:17 PM EDT
[#7]
There's a few sets of handguards in the used upper parts on the exchange right now.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 12:31:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
DSA has similar 6 hole for a good price.  There have been several Colt on the EE lately for 45-60. As stated the M&A carbine stock is nearly a perfect match.  Tonys Customs has them too.
View Quote

I bought two sets of the DS Arms six-holders.  The quality of the material seems good, but the ribbing is more pronounced than on typical carbine handguards.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 10:29:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Cavalry Manufacturing makes both the CAR stock and skinny HGs. Just put a set of skinny HGs on my latest build.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 12:58:39 AM EDT
[#10]
How is the quality of the MA parts stock? Do these need the 4 hole buffer tube to be flush when closed?
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 11:53:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How is the quality of the MA parts stock? Do these need the 4 hole buffer tube to be flush when closed?
View Quote

I personally do not have one but there has been lots of comparisons on this site which show it very close to the original.  They do need a flat back buffer tube to collapse flush.  Some 6 position are flat back.  DSA are flat. Usually advertised as a CAR stock tube as a flat back and a longer angled end tube as a M4 stock tube.  I did a lot of looking around for a Colt 4 position after buying a cheap tube that did not have any of the reinforcement like Colt and most have. From the stock area to the lower receiver a good stock will continue a raised area off the round tube toward the receiver.  I ended up finding a Colt 4 position on Ebay for $20.  A Colt 4 sold on the EE recently for 25.

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/SP64072

I found this still on Ebay.  Same one I bought last year.  GTG. ETA;  I am 98% sure this is Colt, it has the same profile as my other Colt and the profile matches all pictures of the Colt.
Ebay 4 Position $24
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 2:00:21 PM EDT
[#12]
The M&A CAR stock is very close to the original.  I have 4 of them and I'm happy with them...  I have several original Colt CAR "N" stocks and you have to look very close to see the slight differences between M&A version and the original Colts.

I just wish I could find a company that still offered 4 position "mil-spec" CAR buffer tubes, with the "flat back" profile since I could use about 6 of them.  Also, a place that HAS the "correct" profiled skinny CAR type of handguard with the 6 ventilation holes AND heat shield...  I saw a set from DSA (Was told that they were from DSA.) and they were not shaped like the original Colt versions, but more like a slightly thinner M4 handguards.  Trying to keep the costs on my AR-15A2 and early M4 builds down, so original Colt parts will break my budget for these builds.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 10:18:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The M&A CAR stock is very close to the original.  I have 4 of them and I'm happy with them...  I have several original Colt CAR "N" stocks and you have to look very close to see the slight differences between M&A version and the original Colts.

I just wish I could find a company that still offered 4 position "mil-spec" CAR buffer tubes, with the "flat back" profile since I could use about 6 of them.  Also, a place that HAS the "correct" profiled skinny CAR type of handguard with the 6 ventilation holes AND heat shield...  I saw a set from DSA (Was told that they were from DSA.) and they were not shaped like the original Colt versions, but more like a slightly thinner M4 handguards.  Trying to keep the costs on my AR-15A2 and early M4 builds down, so original Colt parts will break my budget for these builds.
View Quote

Maybe this Buffer tube would work?
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 8:35:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Last 2 Colt REs I bought were 4 position and milspec / flat back. New production.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 11:51:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Maybe this Buffer tube would work?
View Quote

Colt Receiver Extension EBAY

Well search is your friend!  EARRNHARDT3 re-posted the link to the same one I posted above. The link we shared shows sold so I searched again and found this one.  This is a different seller and costs $11 more but still reasonable.  This one lists as COLT OEM and looks exactly like the the one linked by EARRNHARDT3 and myself.  I have no affiliation with kmanfund other than I bought 1 from the seller a year ago.  I assume he has more and sells them on Ebay 1 at a time.  Hell I am going to buy another one from him just from the searching I have done for this thread.

Update 3/10/2017.  I bought 1 more 4 pos receiver ext from Ebay for $28 with shipping.  Now all of my carbines have the Colt receiver extensions.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 11:23:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Not mine.
EE Extension
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 1:52:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Cavalry Manufacturing makes both the CAR stock and skinny HGs. Just put a set of skinny HGs on my latest build.
View Quote

They appear to only sell commercial stocks.
Of all the stocks listed, does anybody know for sure if they are commercial or mil spec? I have accumulated a bunch of car stocks over about the last 15 years, but they are all commercial.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 5:50:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Of all the stocks listed, does anybody know for sure if they are commercial or mil spec? I have accumulated a bunch of car stocks over about the last 15 years, but they are all commercial.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The stock from M&A Parts fits a milspec tube and is very similar to the plastic Colt stock.

http://mapartsinc.com/shop/details.asp?id=1592&iCat=21&iSubOne=397&iSubTwo=408
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 9:12:55 PM EDT
[#19]
what is the difference between mil spec and commercial stocks
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 12:21:36 AM EDT
[#20]
The difference between mil-spec and commercial stocks is the size of the receiver extension (buffer tube) that each is designed to fit.
Commercial receiver extensions are slightly larger in diameter than mil-spec receiver extensions.  This is a byproduct of the cheaper process used to manufacture the commercial receiver extension.
The net result is that commercial stocks will fit very loosely on mil-spec receiver extensions and mil-spec stocks will not fit on commercial receiver extensions.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:44:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Some 6 position are flat back.  DSA are flat. Usually advertised as a CAR stock tube as a flat back and a longer angled end tube as a M4 stock tube.
View Quote
I thought milspec receiver extensions were all flat on the back.  Pretty sure the only difference between a CAR tube and M4 tube is the number of positions, an original CAR tube should only have 2 positions and actual M4 tubes have 4 positions and aftermarket ones are usually 6.  When you talk about the longer ones with angled backs I'm pretty sure you're looking at commercial spec receiver extensions.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:48:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I just wish I could find a company that still offered 4 position "mil-spec" CAR buffer tubes, with the "flat back" profile since I could use about 6 of them.  Also, a place that HAS the "correct" profiled skinny CAR type of handguard with the 6 ventilation holes AND heat shield...  I saw a set from DSA (Was told that they were from DSA.) and they were not shaped like the original Colt versions, but more like a slightly thinner M4 handguards.  
View Quote
Again, I think any milspec receiver extension has the flat back.  As far as the DSA handguards, what do you mean by slightly thinner M4 handguards?  Do you just mean the ribbing isn't shaped like colt or do you mean the diameter is different?  They do have 6 holes and heat shields and they seem to be just as skinny as any other "skinny car handguards" to me.  I could be wrong, are these larger?

Link Posted: 3/18/2017 1:04:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I thought milspec receiver extensions were all flat on the back.  Pretty sure the only difference between a CAR tube and M4 tube is the number of positions, an original CAR tube should only have 2 positions and actual M4 tubes have 4 positions and aftermarket ones are usually 6.  When you talk about the longer ones with angled backs I'm pretty sure you're looking at commercial spec receiver extensions.  
View Quote
Nope, shop around and you will find out. Milspec just means the correct dimensions for assembly and heat treat/  aluminum hardness meeting the specs.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 4:40:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 6:34:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Just my 2 cents.  I have a Colt N marked stock and a M&A stock.  Unless you depress the lever and look for the "N" they are nearly identical.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:18:42 AM EDT
[#26]
The biggest difference between m&a and colt stocks is the top sling loop, sticks out like a sore thumb to me, but may be close enough for you.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 10:05:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Not all commercial spec receiver extensions are slanted at the rear nor do they all have six adjustment locations.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 12:35:45 AM EDT
[#29]
I own a "commercial stock" that looks just like the drawing of the milspec above.  But a milspec will not fit on the commercial because it is larger than milspec.  In stocks and receiver extensions the terms milspec and commercial usually refer to the size not the design AFAIK.  They make 6 positions as pictured above with the slant that are milspec.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top