Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2017 8:01:38 AM EDT
I've been attempting to build an A2 Carbine forever.  I always ended up with a flat top and detachable carry handle.  Well no more because I scored a complete A2 carbine upper with 14.5" barrel off the EE.  

I'm thinking of mounting my Aimpoint Comp M2 on it (not against a micro either).  I like the A.R.M.S carry handle mount but it sits the optic a little high for me.  I'd like to get it as close to the carry handle as possible.

What say you?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 8:14:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Carry handle mounts were made for A2s back when there were very few flat tops.

By putting a optic on a A2 you defeat the purpose of having a A2 you should have just bought another flat top.

Do what ever floats your boat. Its just silly to mount a red dot on an A2 as it defeats its purpose and the purpose of a flat top is for an optic. Learn to use your A2 sites you will be amazed at how fast and effective you will be with them.

I hit faster with a red dot but more accurately and almost as fast with A1 and A2 open sites.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 10:09:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Totally get your point. I've wanted to build this to have the iron sights. Most mounts have provisions to see through making the irons still usable. The optic idea is in addition to the irons, not to eliminate them.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:46:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I love A2 and A1 rifles. They really are my favorite configuration of AR as I see the "modern" AR or the "tacti-cool" AR is a hideous.

However, as much as I like the A1 and A2 having an optic sitting that high over bore really sucks, in my opinion.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:12:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:50:57 PM EDT
[#5]
+2 on gooseneck.  You can always do a railed handguard, however it looks a little too modern to me.....

Most important thing is to train with what ever system you choose and get fast with it.  It's mostly you, and then the kit.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 2:52:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I've always liked this set up below.  But you'd have to endure the thousands of cries of woe for mounting your optic on a rail.  And to be honest, I've never done it to know if there really is anything overly wrong with it (possible wandering zero).   I would think if the rail is tight, it's going to be fine for at least 0-100 yards.  I guess if you were trying to pull off long range shots and there was slight movement, it could affect it.  Obviously.  One would have to test that theory and despite all the cries of woe about it, I've never seen one person prove that it's such a bad thing.  Although I've never seen one person prove it wasn't a bad thing.  

On the other hand, I'm of the mindset that a scope on top of the carry handle isn't the worst thing in the world either.  The cheek weld on a standard AR set up is pretty low / short / tight (however you would say that) in comparison to a lot of normal rifles that have sloping stocks at the cheek / comb.  Yes, it will sit a bit higher than normal, but it's doable.  And actually, if you wear a helmet (which I don't) I could see it make even more sense with the chin strap and buckles and such.  

Link Posted: 2/9/2017 5:05:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Its funny I have been shooting Ar15s for over 18 years now. My main rifles are Decked out carbines with high end optics. I had the hot rod at the range for many years and now everyone has one and its like meh no big deal I don't even get a second glance.

How ever when ever I bring a KISS A1 (c7 because I shoot lefty and need the deflector). Just about every guy there compliments and ask questions about it. Its also funny as this was a budget build of parts that I cost me about $350 to build which at the time of that building was considered quite a feat.

It was made of parts that I would not sell because  the barrel was is pitted on the outside terribly but the bore was beautiful and dang accurate open sited if i can see it i can hit it. The Receiver was was painted then some one scraped off part of the paint not all and I just painted over it. the A1 hand guards have missing teeth but has a really nice unusual blue molting same with the stock. It uses a colt half circle bcg that was in a fire as well as other b grade parts. and its always a pleasure to shoot with the classic profile.

I never have to worry if the optic is on or has been bumped off zero as it always on zero. I can toss it behind the back seat of the truck and not have to worry about some optic. I don't to worry about batteries dying and I wont be mistaken for a Mall Ninja at the range.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 6:28:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Its funny I have been shooting Ar15s for over 18 years now. My main rifles are Decked out carbines with high end optics. I had the hot rod at the range for many years and now everyone has one and its like meh no big deal I don't even get a second glance.

How ever when ever I bring a KISS A1 (c7 because I shoot lefty and need the deflector). Just about every guy there compliments and ask questions about it. Its also funny as this was a budget build of parts that I cost me about $350 to build which at the time of that building was considered quite a feat.

It was made of parts that I would not sell because  the barrel was is pitted on the outside terribly but the bore was beautiful and dang accurate open sited if i can see it i can hit it. The Receiver was was painted then some one scraped off part of the paint not all and I just painted over it. the A1 hand guards have missing teeth but has a really nice unusual blue molting same with the stock. It uses a colt half circle bcg that was in a fire as well as other b grade parts. and its always a pleasure to shoot with the classic profile.

I never have to worry if the optic is on or has been bumped off zero as it always on zero. I can toss it behind the back seat of the truck and not have to worry about some optic. I don't to worry about batteries dying and I wont be mistaken for a Mall Ninja at the range.
View Quote

+1million
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 6:25:23 PM EDT
[#9]
How it sits right now.  With a whopping $350 into it.

Handguard and stock will be changed up before paint
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 5:06:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Besides the gooseneck, the lowest you can get is an ARMS #1 with a low 30mm ring. Aimpoint has/had a wide, low 30mm ring especially for the CompM series.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 6:27:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 8:05:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Besides the gooseneck, the lowest you can get is an ARMS #1 with a low 30mm ring. Aimpoint has/had a wide, low 30mm ring especially for the CompM series.
View Quote

Ima look into that, thank you.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 9:40:02 PM EDT
[#13]

That's so hot.  How do you like the Trijicon Reflex?
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:33:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:41:58 AM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/13/2017 6:34:22 AM EDT
[#16]
A member hit me up with a goose neck mount. Also picking up a ARMS #2 and aimpoint ring.  Got a carry handle sbr upper I'm going to try these on.

Little updated with spare parts.

Attachment Attached File

Still in the market for a police trade in bushmaster A2 carbine
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:17:15 AM EDT
[#17]
My  Bushmaster with a Hakko 4x21. I've only got it mounted here for a photo. The scope base is a 'see through'.
I'm not sure I'll keep it on there and leave the scope in the safe.  

Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:23:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
A member hit me up with a goose neck mount. Also picking up a ARMS #2 and aimpoint ring.  Got a carry handle sbr upper I'm going to try these on.

Little updated with spare parts.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/325471/IMG-3970-1--144277.JPG

Still in the market for a police trade in bushmaster A2 carbine
View Quote
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_10/609643_Deals-on-ex-cop-AR15s---379--and-Rem--870s---189--in-Jax.html
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 3:48:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Was at my lgs today, seems gooseneck mounts are not so popular?
Grabbed a handful for my clones.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 5:41:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Omg...  Im me please!!!
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 3:42:21 PM EDT
[#21]
I wanted a small scope on one of my updated 727 builds. I used my Colt 3x20 carry handle as my guide. That Colt scope works very well for me on my A1's and I have no issues with transitioning from scope to irons with the way it work. I took an old U channel handle mount and cut it down. Then I used one inch scope mounts mounted on the rail. It put the scope field of vision right were my Colt is and still allows me to use the iron sights with no issues. I'm sure this type of setup would work for any rail mounted optics.

Link Posted: 3/6/2017 3:49:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I wanted a small scope on one of my updated 727 builds. I used my Colt 3x20 carry handle as my guide. That Colt scope works very well for me on my A1's and I have no issues with transitioning from scope to irons with the way it work. I took an old U channel handle mount and cut it down. Then I used one inch scope mounts mounted on the rail. It put the scope field of vision right were my Colt is and still allows me to use the iron sights with no issues. I'm sure this type of setup would work for any rail mounted optics.

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag132/58Bisc/guns/02AD65DD-67B9-4ED0-9373-74CD5CA8D9BF_zpslqllafcx.jpg

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag132/58Bisc/guns/B9AFFED1-D6A5-4EA8-A2CA-85D42A30C5FF_zpsnk8gcapt.jpg

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag132/58Bisc/guns/4EC8EC8A-64CE-4DAE-967A-45BBCA21BE11_zps2dbzmf0x.jpg
View Quote

Small scope? ?
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 4:15:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Small scope? ?
View Quote

Everything is relative in life...
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 4:24:44 PM EDT
[#24]
I would never mount an optic above the irons because the focal plane is too high above the  bore axis. There are a lot of Aimpoint goose necks on EBay for about $10. I have one that came with my CompM4 but haven't tried it.

If you have other flat tops with scopes then why not keep this one configured with basic iron sights?
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 5:23:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I would never mount an optic above the irons because the focal plane is too high above the  bore axis. There are a lot of Aimpoint goose necks on EBay for about $10. I have one that came with my CompM4 but haven't tried it.

If you have other flat tops with scopes then why not keep this one configured with basic iron sights?
View Quote

Personally, this is all very relative.  If you shoot any other kind of traditionally stocked rifle, like a shotgun, or a bolt gun that doesn't have a monte carlo comb, they drop and are much more generous than the cheek weld on an AR.  I think AR's sight height to cheek weld can become pretty tight.   Especially with certain stocks.  I've tried some stocks that are just so uncomfortable to me, because I feel like I'm embedding my teeth, through my face, into the stock.  I have this with the CTR.  

I think something a little higher than a stock AR height is perfect. A lower 1/3 Cowitness height is a really nice height.  And some optics on the carry handle, if low enough, are really not bad at all.  "Too high above the bore axis" is just a matter of opinion.  There have been plenty of dudes that went into harms way, using some kind of sight on top of the carry handle.  It might not be ideal, but it has it's benefits too.  For longer necked people, it might even work a little better.  Head position is more upright.  Sometimes a normal height AR can get peoples head too far forward, looking through the sights with your eyeballs in a drastic, looking upward position and that's not really optimum either.  

It's just not as bad as some make it out to be, in my opinion.  

I have an ARMS #2 mount and you can mount anything on it.  I have shot a lot with an optic on a carry handle in some way and I've never found it to be a bad thing.  I have had some really good results, even shooting for groups with this type of a set up.  In all honesty, I think a height somewhere right in-between stock iron sight height and a scope on top of a carry handle rail, is optimum.  That's just me.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 5:59:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Small scope? ?

Just a little rib, boss. Looks huge in the pic.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 6:04:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

If every AR was configured the same it'd be damn boring.
To each his own.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 1:56:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My  Bushmaster with a Hakko 4x21. I've only got it mounted here for a photo. The scope base is a 'see through'.
I'm not sure I'll keep it on there and leave the scope in the safe.  
View Quote

so, is the quick release part of that mount specific to the mount, or can you find that quick release mech to put on a regular gooseneck mount?   thanks

doug hunt
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 2:49:03 PM EDT
[#29]
This type of mount is the original version of a carry handle scope. It is a one piece unit. Later on the A2's we see the Leatherwood style show up as a handle mounted rail that lets you push the scope forward. It took away the ability to use the iron sights though. I don't think I have any pictures of this setup. Here is my Colt version I talked about earlier.

Link Posted: 3/9/2017 1:24:39 AM EDT
[#30]
I think I recall seeing marines with A2s and  4x20 carry handle scopes. We 
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top