Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2017 4:10:16 AM EDT
http://www.armslist.com/posts/6369242/raleigh-north-carolina-rifles-for-sale--colt-ar15a2-
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 5:49:09 AM EDT
[#1]

Yes.  Early on Colt was using up its supply of old stock and building its semiauto AR15A2s using the slab side lower and slick side uppers.  All the while using A2 barrels and furniture.

Eventually they used A1 uppers before getting around to proper A2 uppers.

I am not aware of Colt using any A1 uppers on the SP1 ARs unless it was a very small run.  

Ask for pics of the pivot pin, pivot pin hole in the upper and rear of the underside of the upper.  

If there is no adapter used in the pivot area and the receiver doesn't have the relief cut for an autosear then it's very likely it's just what it's advertised as.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 7:58:45 AM EDT
[#2]
That price is right and in the ball park. But the upper shows NO brass deflector where as the description says it has one? Start asking questions....... good luck. It's a beauty.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 8:46:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
http://www.armslist.com/posts/6369242/raleigh-north-carolina-rifles-for-sale--colt-ar15a2-
View Quote

This is a valid early Colt AR-15 A2. They did come with A1 type upper receivers (no brass deflector). Subsequent AR-15 A2s had A2 upper receivers like the one I have.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 8:53:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yes.  Early on Colt was using up its supply of old stock and building its semiauto AR15A2s using the slab side lower and slick side uppers.  All the while using A2 barrels and furniture.

Eventually they used A1 uppers before getting around to proper A2 uppers.

I am not aware of Colt using any A1 uppers on the SP1 ARs unless it was a very small run.  

Ask for pics of the pivot pin, pivot pin hole in the upper and rear of the underside of the upper.  

If there is no adapter used in the pivot area and the receiver doesn't have the relief cut for an autosear then it's very likely it's just what it's advertised as.
View Quote

You are correct about SP1s never using A1 uppers. The A1 upper was not used on a Sporter until Colt used some on the Sporter IIs early on. They were soon replaced by the newer A2 upper receiver. Pivot pin is correct for this model. These still had the .315" pivot pin hole. As far as the price goes on that particular AR-15 A2, it is not unreasonable, but you could probably getting get for a little less.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 11:03:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info, I have an A1 and kinda been looking for a A2.  I may move on it I can't find an true A2
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 4:01:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info, I have an A1 and kinda been looking for a A2.  I may move on it I can't find an true A2
View Quote

That Colt would be a nice one to own. Like I said, it is an early AR-15 A2 Sporter II. I can understand if you are looking to stick with an A2 upper'd AR.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 4:42:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm no colt expert, but that config is pretty sweet.  I think you would like it very much.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 5:27:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That Colt would be a nice one to own. Like I said, it is an early AR-15 A2 Sporter II. I can understand if you are looking to stick with an A2 upper'd AR.
View Quote
yea I will probably low ball him a little to see if he bites.  Like  I said have two A1s and two A4s all ready and was searching A2s and this just peaked my interest.  I'm not a rich person so I get it I will be out of gun money for a while. My A1s
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 5:28:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Plus I was thinking that I have a Colt A2 stripped upper
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 5:31:31 PM EDT
[#10]
yes, I bought one years ago

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 9:22:56 PM EDT
[#11]
As already stated, they are found on early Sporter II rifles.

My I have had a couple Sporter II carbines, still have one.  These came with the large forward A2 forward assist, 1/7 pencil barrel w/o feed ramps, delta ring, and older 2 position receiver extension and spanner lock ring.  They were kind of a bastard child between the SP1 and later A2 gov't models.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 9:58:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Mine was a 1:7 govt. profile

A2 furniture

big hole upper, like an SP-1, but with a forward assist.

It was a nice rifle.

Link Posted: 2/3/2017 12:48:43 PM EDT
[#13]
As the others have said, it's legit
It's a Colt R6401, bought the very same one at a LGS in 1985, on sale for $499.95 :)

Sold it like a dummy about a year later

I've made a cobble together version of it just for old times sake.  It's fun, but get what calls to you
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 9:26:31 AM EDT
[#14]
My understanding is that the Sporter II had a lot of variations. Started with the slick side SP1 upper then moved onto the A1 style like my R6420 carbine, then a C7 and finally ending with the A2. Lowers went from slick side to full fence as well. All rollmarked AR-15 A2.

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top