BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/22/2017 12:49:19 PM EDT
I'm slowly working on a M16-A2 type build, so far I have a complete lower and an A2 upper receiver, I need the barrel, handguards, gas tube, front sight, the whole front end! I think I would prefer a Gov profile over HBAR. 

I've seen "barrel kits" from Windham and DelTon that look like a fairly good deal, although it looks like they may not be chrome lined. ETA: WW barrel is CL, don't think DT barrel is

Any good options I may have missed? I'm not sure where to look, and google doesn't turn up much for me besides the 2 mentioned above.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:22:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Windham is the answer you seek.....  they got a 20" gov. profile 1:7 twist  complete barrel for around $300
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:47:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Model 1 Sales. Me and 2 pals just ordered. Nice setup, fast shipping.
Check them out.

Eta: Govt profile rocks! $465 shipped for upper minus bcg/CH.
CL/1X7 twist.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:59:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I buy from PSA.   Used to buy all lower parts then assemble......cost was $215 to $250.     Now, I buy completed "blemish" lowers from PSA......$129 to $179 depending on which collapsible stock you choose.    They also have standard stock assemblies.

also, completed uppers of all varieties.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 3:36:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Windham is the answer you seek.....  they got a 20" gov. profile 1:7 twist  complete barrel for around $300
View Quote

$270 actually, that's probably what I will end up going with, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out somewhere else! Del Ton has a 1:9 version (which I'm fine with) for $200, but I don't think it is chrome lined like the Windham is.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 3:41:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Model 1 Sales. Me and 2 pals just ordered. Nice setup, fast shipping.
Check them out.

Eta: Govt profile rocks! $465 shipped for upper minus bcg/CH.
CL/1X7 twist.
View Quote

It looks like model 1 sells either the whole upper or just the barrel. Since I have my A2 upper already, I'm looking at "kits" with the barrel and barrel nut, delta ring, hand guards, gas tube, etc all in one. It's cheaper than buying it all separate.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 3:51:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It looks like model 1 sells either the whole upper or just the barrel. Since I have my A2 upper already, I'm looking at "kits" with the barrel and barrel nut, delta ring, hand guards, gas tube, etc all in one. It's cheaper than buying it all separate.
View Quote

True. Missed that first run through.
Windham will be a solid bet.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 8:51:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Windham Weaponry barrel kit.

This is what you seek. These are fantastic barrels.

This A2 Gov't. profile barrel kit - with all parts forward of the Upper Receiver - is ready for your next target or service rifle build. The highly accurate 20" barrel is chrome lined and machined from 4150 Chrome Moly Vanadium 11595E steel is rifled 1 x 7" - right hand twist. The barrel is finished in Black Manganese Phosphate for protection against rust and corrosion. A standard A2 Front Sight Base with sling swivel is fitted. Kit includes A2 Flash Suppressor, Barrel Nut, Crush Washer, Delta Ring Kit and Rifle Length Gas Tube. Rifle Length Handguards are also included. These are premium quality parts molded from a fiberglass composite for heat resistance in sustained fire - they will not deform when subjected to high barrel heat.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 2:01:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Rock River NM upper is your best bet. A little more expensive, but man are they built well & accurate as hell.
Pete @ Legal Transfers here on the forum will hook you up.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 2:26:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Check out JSE Surplus.

ETA: Never mind they are out of stock of what you want. Windham will be the best bet. If you need A2 hand guards, I have an extra set available. I need to list it in the EE when I get around to it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 3:54:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I just used a Windham 20" kit on a build, at 50 yards all 5 shots were touching.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 7:18:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I just used a Windham 20" kit on a build, at 50 yards all 5 shots were touching.
View Quote

Was that with the Gov't profile barrel, or H BAR
That's good shooting with irons.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 10:16:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Was that with the Gov't profile barrel, or H BAR
That's good shooting with irons.
View Quote

Yeah I'd like to know this! Darn good shooting!
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 12:07:44 AM EDT
[#13]
It was the gov't profile with wolf gold ammo and a 6x scope.
The shots were in kind of a string, I'll shoot it again this weekend.

I was very impressed

EDIT:
Forgot to mention, I used this kit on a flat top build.
It's the same kit being discussed though so I thought it was relevant.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 9:32:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Well thanks for sharing, that's still a lot better than I expected given the barrel and ammo choice!
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 12:21:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Well thanks for sharing, that's still a lot better than I expected given the barrel and ammo choice!
View Quote

Do not sell the capabilities of the Windham Weaponry 20" A2 Gov't Profile barrel short. I have three of them and they are stellar.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 4:59:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Do not sell the capabilities of the Windham Weaponry 20" A2 Gov't Profile barrel short. I have three of them and they are stellar.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to know, I haven't had anything from WW yet, but my first AR was a Windham production Bushmaster. If they're shooting this good that helps me justify the extra $70 for the accuracy and chrome lining as well!

I just didn't expect a basic chrome lined barrel to be shooting that good!
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 6:44:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Yea, I believe a Windham Gov't profile barrel is in my future. It will replace the Bushmaster H BAR barrel that's on it now.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 8:18:37 PM EDT
[#18]
White Oak,and Rock River has every thing you need.

For the classic A2 look. Look for the National Match hand guard. Basically it is a free floated A2 hand guard.
The NM hand guard kit, from RR comes with barrel nut, float tube, gas tube, and hand guard

Barrel with front sight post and delta ring would and the NM kit and you have a complete upper
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 8:08:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Good to know, I haven't had anything from WW yet, but my first AR was a Windham production Bushmaster. If they're shooting this good that helps me justify the extra $70 for the accuracy and chrome lining as well!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My WW 14.5 M4 barrel shoots very good as well
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 6:01:25 PM EDT
[#20]
FWIW:  Called WW today and ordered a 20in govt.  The barrels are coming in from 'finishing' on Monday, shipping shortly there after
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 6:20:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
FWIW:  Called WW today and ordered a 20in govt.  The barrels are coming in from 'finishing' on Monday, shipping shortly there after
View Quote

I must have bought the last one last week. It's scheduled for delivery to me either tomorrow or Monday
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 8:21:51 AM EDT
[#22]
I bought the Windham a month ago on jrs suggestion.  Still havent been to the range yet but everything went together ell and the finish is very good.  For $270 everything from the flash hider to the barrel nut.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 3:11:48 PM EDT
[#23]
If you're adamant on the chrome barrel, Windham is your best bet. They build good guns; I have their SRC model and it is very high quality. PSA does have an A2 upper that is the CHF version (chrome lined) but it isn't in stock now. If you are in a hurry you will not want to wait for PSA; even when in stock, uppers take at least 15 days to ship out. I have an 18" SS M-LOK 223 Wylde upper on its way here. Hope it arrives on Monday as stated by UPS!
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 5:49:21 PM EDT
[#24]
I ordered the Windham kit to finsh my A2 clone. Glad to see folks saying accuracy is good.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 8:44:41 AM EDT
[#25]
My WW 20 govt came in two says ago.  Appears perfect.   I will be shooting it on Monday.   I expect no issues.

I wish they would do a 1-9 for cheeper ammo tho...
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 8:54:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If you're adamant on the chrome barrel, Windham is your best bet. They build good guns; I have their SRC model and it is very high quality. PSA does have an A2 upper that is the CHF version (chrome lined) but it isn't in stock now. If you are in a hurry you will not want to wait for PSA; even when in stock, uppers take at least 15 days to ship out. I have an 18" SS M-LOK 223 Wylde upper on its way here. Hope it arrives on Monday as stated by UPS!
View Quote

PSA does not sell A2 uppers
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 9:42:50 AM EDT
[#27]
BCM used to sell a complete A2 upper minus handguards... apparently they got out of selling stuff like that. Faggots, you're dead to me BCM!
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 6:34:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
BCM used to sell a complete A2 upper minus handguards... apparently they got out of selling stuff like that. Faggots, you're dead to me BCM!
View Quote

No, they sold A4s
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 7:53:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

No, they sold A4s
View Quote

My A2 clone has a complete BCM 20" 1x7 CL gov profile A2 upper.  I can't remember exactly when I bought it but it was around 2006'ish.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 5:17:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 5:45:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
@finslayer83
View Quote

I got the full windham kit for $277 iirc

Excellent barrel.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 8:42:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

My A2 clone has a complete BCM 20" 1x7 CL gov profile A2 upper.  I can't remember exactly when I bought it but it was around 2006'ish.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, they sold A4s

No kidding, huh. I stand corrected. I'm not sure I've ever seen one. Pics?
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 2:39:01 PM EDT
[#33]
As expected; finished building it this AM, shot great!
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 5:09:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
As expected; finished building it this AM, shot great!
View Quote

I knew you would like it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 11:15:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, they sold A4s

Will do...crazy busy the next few days but I'll add a pic to this thread soon.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 11:07:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Picked up the entire upper with bcg from PSA for $299, then swapped out the upper reciever with a Brownells A2.  
http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-20-rifle-length-5-56-nato-1-7-upper-with-bcg-and-charging-handle-1.html

The melonite isn't period correct, but I don't care.  

Now I have to build another Ar with the spare upper reciever.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:50:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Make sure the barrel you're looking for has the proper feed ramp arrangement.  You can find sources that provide the exact assembly, if you're diligent.

If you can't find Colt or FN A2 barrels, a direction to look is for old Sabre Defence productions.  They are government contract made to the same spec as Colt and FN.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 8:55:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Picked up the entire upper with bcg from PSA for $299, then swapped out the upper reciever with a Brownells A2.  
http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-20-rifle-length-5-56-nato-1-7-upper-with-bcg-and-charging-handle-1.html

The melonite isn't period correct, but I don't care.  

Now I have to build another Ar with the spare upper reciever.  
View Quote

I've thought about doing this too. It's a bargain for the price, for $30 more than the Windham barrel kit I would have an extra flattop upper, BCG, and CH to use elsewhere!

While I'm not being very picky on "cloning", I did wonder how bad the nitrided barrel would stand out being a shinier finish. 
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 6:14:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I've thought about doing this too. It's a bargain for the price, for $30 more than the Windham barrel kit I would have an extra flattop upper, BCG, and CH to use elsewhere!

While I'm not being very picky on "cloning", I did wonder how bad the nitrided barrel would stand out being a shinier finish. 
View Quote

I have a nitrided mid length 16" from PSA and the difference in color between the barrel and FSB is really noticeable. It's the only reason I went with a Windham barrel instead of the much cheaper PSA kit.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 8:46:19 PM EDT
[#40]
This is what mine looks like, but I'm going for a shooter instead of a retro gun.  Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:18:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
This is what mine looks like, but I'm going for a shooter instead of a retro gun.  https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/92324/20170211-174120-145527.JPG
View Quote

Doesn't look bad in that pic, although I'm sure the finish difference is more apparent in person! How does the F marked FSB work out with an A2 upper? If I'm understanding right your FSP will be a little below flush in the FSB?
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 5:42:53 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm finally trying to get my build put together but when I went to put the gas tube on I found out Windham sent me a mid-length gas tube instead of the rifle length that I ordered Guess I won't be shooting this thing this week like I had planned. I guess they closed early today because I tried calling and they were closed.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:13:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Doesn't look bad in that pic, although I'm sure the finish difference is more apparent in person! How does the F marked FSB work out with an A2 upper? If I'm understanding right your FSP will be a little below flush in the FSB?
View Quote
Non-issue. 

Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:02:34 PM EDT
[#44]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Non-issue. 

http://www.box.net/shared/static/2d520zm04w.jpg

OK that is what I thought! Thanks
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:24:21 AM EDT
[#45]
For what it is worth I have a Del-Ton 1/9 skinny barrel on a A1(C7) receiver with the standard small aperture A2 sight installed.  I have hit three sideways on a fence post Coleman fuel cans filled with water at 300 yards using Barnes 55 grain TSX bullets and H-4895 powder (5.56 spec load from Barnes).  This is with a 200 yard 6 oclock hold zero and holding dead on the cans.  I figured the first one was a fluke until I blasted the other two.  Of course at that distance the water exploding wasn't very spectacular considering the range and the heavy all copper bullets, but the accuracy of the Del-Ton barrel amazed me at that distance.

Bob
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 11:23:59 PM EDT
[#46]
I bought a Del-ton Govt. profile. 20" barrel kit. 1/9
I got it with the non-F marked FSB ( no extra charge).
Hand guards, delta ring, flash hider with crush washer, gas tube with roll pin, front sight post with cap and spring,
Sling attachment with rivet. They had free shipping at the time. Discount for belonging to this site.
Ordered it on a Friday and got it the next Tues or Wed.
Packaged very well.
It came to around $190.
Built an A2 with it.
The only problem I have with Del-Ton is there barrels sell out quick.

It is a good shooter, More accurate than I am.
Bottom line is that it works for me and I am happy with it.
May not work for everyone.
Good luck.
Ron

Note: I got 6 of the 20" 1/9  pencil barrel kits in a while back to put together some A1and Slab side rifles.
When I tried to order some more the next day, they were already sold out.
I figure that lots of people like them for them to sell out so fast.
ron
Update: When I got the 6 kits from Del-Ton they were out of the A1 flash hiders, They deducted $2 each for each of them ($12)
and put them on back order.
The reason I ordered the kit was to get all the parts at one place and save some cost and the shipping.
This is almost at the end of March, Nothing.
I guess I will be ordering the back ordered A1 flash hiders some where else.
I am now ready to build them.
ron
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 2:47:20 PM EDT
[#47]
I've got a W.W. barrel kit due in today, I have read great things about it so I am looking forward to finishing my A2 rep............I put together the Range Tool lower over the weekend, and my upper is a Fulton-Armory piece......
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 8:43:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I've got a W.W. barrel kit due in today, I have read great things about it so I am looking forward to finishing my A2 rep............I put together the Range Tool lower over the weekend, and my upper is a Fulton-Armory piece......
View Quote

Make sure they sent the right gas tube. Mine came with a mid-length
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 11:56:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Just finished it tonight except for checking headspace, i will do that tomorrow after work
......what are you guys wiping down the A2 stock with, mines a used one I picked up and its darker close to the lower where  I was wiping the lower down after building it

Link Posted: 3/1/2017 8:48:13 AM EDT
[#50]
I will add that the Windham Weaponry barrel assemblies, as well as their complete uppers, are fantastic and accurate. I have used one of their barrel 20" A2 Gov't Profile assemblies and two of their complete 20" uppers and have had great results.

A2 build with WW barrel assembly

Attachment Attached File

Builds with WW complete upper assemblies

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top