BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/15/2016 10:30:25 PM EDT
From my previous thread  in this forum there was a discussion as to whether or not these barrels from Numrich were  chrome lined or not. I can say that they are by the looks of it to me.

I ordered another barrel from them last week on election night to finish up my raw A2 build. Right now it has a Magpul stock on it because it is was an extra one I had laying around. I am going to change it over to a CAR Style stock if I can find one for a reasonable price.

Link Posted: 11/15/2016 10:43:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice. I'm waiting on a NoDak A2 lower to start a build with my second of these Numrich barrels.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 10:50:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 11:05:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like a ban-era bushmaster barrel. They will be chrome lined and 1/9
View Quote

Yep. Numrich is stating in their product description they are B MP marked 1/9 NON-chrome lined. Bushmaster barrels, with the exception of their target barrels are chrome lined. It isn't a ban-era barrel though, it has a bayonet lug.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 8:58:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought two of these back in July and FSB was canted on both.  Just a heads up.

Mine appear to be chromed.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 1:12:33 PM EDT
[#5]
shiny, shiny, I like!! though I'd stick on a waffle stock to keep it more in the same timeline as the rest of the bits.....
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 9:45:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Saw these descriptions on the Bushmaster barrels

bushmaster barrel 14,5

Bushmaster 14.5 M4

Bushmaster Catalog page 38

Bushmaster catalog

All descriptions say chrome lined.Except for the first ad for the barrel which says most Bushmasters are Chrome lined.

We'll see. The OPs barrel at least looks like a chromed chamber.I ordered one
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 11:56:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Mine was NOT chromed. The metal is unfinished and dull. The bore was dark and dull. I sent it off to get melonite treatment.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 5:24:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yep. Numrich is stating in their product description they are B MP marked 1/9 NON-chrome lined. Bushmaster barrels, with the exception of their target barrels are chrome lined. It isn't a ban-era barrel though, it has a bayonet lug.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They also state that those uppers are billet. I ordered 3 of those uppers my self. I've used those barrels also, but not sure if I want to use that again.
OP, it looks good. Did you polish it? What did you use?
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 12:40:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

They also state that those uppers are billet. I ordered 3 of those uppers my self. I've used those barrels also, but not sure if I want to use that again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No polish, just raw aluminum. My goal is to use and abuse it ands see how the raw finish wears.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 6:03:29 PM EDT
[#10]
OP - Was the FSB "F" marked on the barrel you received?
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 6:13:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
OP - Was the FSB "F" marked on the barrel you received?
View Quote

No it is not F marked.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 11:49:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I bought two of these back in July and FSB was canted on both.  Just a heads up.

View Quote

I took a close look at everything and the FSB appeared to be canted left. I put a red dot on the upper with a goose neck mount. I set the upper on a flat surface and lined up to red dot with a point about 25 meters away while looking through the barrel. I then tried to match up the  irons to the red dot and I maxed out the windage to the left and still needed to adjust it more.

I printed up a return label and it is going back to them tomorrow. This sucks because I took a look the other barrel I purchased last summer and it appears to be canted too. I'll try the same thing with the other carbine and see exactly what I'm dealing with. Fuck.

Any tips for straightening it out?
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 12:02:07 AM EDT
[#13]
How did you install the barrel? Receiver block, or barrel blocks? I had one out of 4 that appeared canted, first time I tried to zero was off paper at fifty yards. Mine was to the right. I used barrel blocks, so in theory that would be pushing the upper left as you tighten the barrel nut. I put my upper in a clam shell and stuck a breaker bar wrapped in a rag through the fsb and cranked it left, I just bared down on it until I felt it give. That fixed it. Do you remember any play in the alignment slot on the upper?
ETA: take it apart, loosen the barrel nut, and see if you can bore sight it with the wiggle room in the upper alignment slot, if so you most likely just pushed the barrel to one side when installing it. So in your case tightening the barrel nut with barrel blocks should push the upper left.
ETA2: if your red dot is not zeroed to that barrel, where the dot is is irrelevant. Just bore sight it. Put the barrel in a vise with barrel blocks, sight it through the bore out a window at something like 100 yards away, tighten the vice enough to hold it and see if you can get the sights on the same object. A tall tree or phone poll make a good vertical line to sight on. Believe me, I've put red dots from one gun on another and the dot is way off.
ETA3: I see you said you bore sighted the red dot. I don't know what the red dot has to do with it anyways, all you need to do is bore sight the irons. If they're off that far it should be hugely obvious.

I've used 4 of these barrels. I'm almost ready to buy a 5th but kinda reluctant now.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 1:50:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
How did you install the barrel? Receiver block, or barrel blocks? I had one out of 4 that appeared canted, first time I tried to zero was off paper at fifty yards. Mine was to the right. I used barrel blocks, so in theory that would be pushing the upper left as you tighten the barrel nut. I put my upper in a clam shell and stuck a breaker bar wrapped in a rag through the fsb and cranked it left, I just bared down on it until I felt it give. That fixed it. Do you remember any play in the alignment slot on the upper?
ETA: take it apart, loosen the barrel nut, and see if you can bore sight it with the wiggle room in the upper alignment slot, if so you most likely just pushed the barrel to one side when installing it. So in your case tightening the barrel nut with barrel blocks should push the upper left.
ETA2: if your red dot is not zeroed to that barrel, where the dot is is irrelevant. Just bore sight it. Put the barrel in a vise with barrel blocks, sight it through the bore out a window at something like 100 yards away, tighten the vice enough to hold it and see if you can get the sights on the same object. A tall tree or phone poll make a good vertical line to sight on. Believe me, I've put red dots from one gun on another and the dot is way off.
ETA3: I see you said you bore sighted the red dot. I don't know what the red dot has to do with it anyways, all you need to do is bore sight the irons. If they're off that far it should be hugely obvious.

I've used 4 of these barrels. I'm almost ready to buy a 5th but kinda reluctant now.
View Quote

I did look through the rifle bore at my neighbor basketball goal about 50 meters away and zeroed the red dot to that. Then I tried to match up the irons to the red dot sight and the rear sight was all the way to the left and still wouldn't match up. I only used the red dot sight on the goose neck mount so I could get a rough zero for the irons. I have used that method in the past with good results.

When I installed the new barrel, I used a receiver block and receiver insert, there was no play between the index pin and upper receiver and it was a really snug fit.

I am going to re-mount the other Numrich barrel on the other rifle and see if there is some play there. I will try the breaker bar trick on the other barrel and try to straighten it out. I may do a little filing and shimming of the index pin slot on the upper if it is needed. I am hoping you are correct and the barrel just rotated a little when I installed the barrel.

This one is still in the 30 warranty day window, I still haven't shot it, so it is going to send it back and let them replace it.

ETA: When I looked at the barrel it there was a noticeable cant to the front sight post.

Link Posted: 11/19/2016 2:41:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I took a close look at everything and the FSB appeared to be canted left. I put a red dot on the upper with a goose neck mount. I set the upper on a flat surface and lined up to red dot with a point about 25 meters away while looking through the barrel. I then tried to match up the  irons to the red dot and I maxed out the windage to the left and still needed to adjust it more.

I printed up a return label and it is going back to them tomorrow. This sucks because I took a look the other barrel I purchased last summer and it appears to be canted too. I'll try the same thing with the other carbine and see exactly what I'm dealing with. Fuck.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both of mine had cants to the left, canted enough I ran out of adjustment on an a2 sight.

I cut the FSB down and went another route.  

Still need a cheap fsb 14.5pinned
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 3:55:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
shiny, shiny, I like!! though I'd stick on a waffle stock to keep it more in the same timeline as the rest of the bits.....
View Quote

Waffle M4 stock came out in 2003.  Wouldn't a CAR stock be more proper?  I guess it just depends on your perspective..
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 4:03:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Both of mine had cants to the left, canted enough I ran out of adjustment on an a2 sight.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I might go that route for another rifle. I just need to get a two piece hand guard that uses a standard barrel nut.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 5:14:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Waffle M4 stock came out in 2003.  Wouldn't a CAR stock be more proper?  I guess it just depends on your perspective..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure m4s were issued with A2 uppers but not sure.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 8:19:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If mine comes in and is canted, probably will cut down the FSB also and run a 15 inch free float rail.  Its a ashame if it is with a non F marked sight
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 10:32:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The M4's were developed from the earlier XM4 which did have an A2 upper.  From Wickipedia.

Following the adoption of the M16 rifle, carbine variants were also adopted for close quarters operations. The CAR-15 family of weapons served through the Vietnam War. However, these carbines had design issues, as "the barrel length was halved" to 10 inches which "upset the ballistics", reducing its range and accuracy and "led to considerable muzzle flash and blast, so that a large flash suppressor had to be fitted".[7] "Nevertheless, as a short-range weapon it is quite adequate and thus, (despite) its caliber, (the XM177 "Commando") is classed as a submachine gun."[7] In 1988, Colt began work on a new carbine design called the XM4 combining the best features of the Colt Commando and M16A2 rifles.
The XM4 was given a longer 14.5-inch barrel with the M16A2's 1:7 inch rifle twist, to use the heavier 62-grain M855 rounds. The extended barrel improved the XM4's ballistics, reduced muzzle blast and gave the XM4 the ability to mount a bayonet and the M203 grenade launcher. The XM4 was also given the M16A2's improved rear sight and cartridge deflector, as well as other minor refinements.[citation needed] In 1994, the U.S. military officially accepted the XM4 into service as the M4 carbine to replace M16A2s in certain roles. The M4 carbine has also replaced most submachine guns and selected handguns in U.S. military service, as it fires more effective rifle ammunition that offers superior stopping power and is better able to penetrate modern body armor.[citation needed]

I think the XM4 was defined buy Colt as the RO727.  My RO727 is a Bushmaster A2 upper with your same barrel on a Bushmaster lower with a CAR stock.

Link Posted: 11/20/2016 4:49:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Are your m4 feedramp lined up good with the upper/barrel? One time a had a canted front sight base, I opened up the slot in the upper. It worked for me, but recently somebody warned that then your bolt lugs may not line up with the barrel extension, or your feed ramps will be off. In your case if it didn't work you'd be out a $40 upper if it didn't work. I personally kinda regret doing it because I did it to an irreplaceable colt a1 upper, but it worked and I still have that barrel on it and don't plan on ever changing it.

It's possible the slot is off on these uppers also. I looked at mine real close trying to figure out why the manufacturer didn't Finnish them. Numerich is one of those companies that seems to only sell seconds and damaged unwanted stuff.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 7:39:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Are your m4 feedramp lined up good with the upper/barrel? One time a had a canted front sight base, I opened up the slot in the upper. It worked for me, but recently somebody warned that then your bolt lugs may not line up with the barrel extension, or your feed ramps will be off. In your case if it didn't work you'd be out a $40 upper if it didn't work. I personally kinda regret doing it because I did it to an irreplaceable colt a1 upper, but it worked and I still have that barrel on it and don't plan on ever changing it.

It's possible the slot is off on these uppers also. I looked at mine real close trying to figure out why the manufacturer didn't Finnish them. Numerich is one of those companies that seems to only sell seconds and damaged unwanted stuff.
View Quote

It is possible they get second had stuff and parts that failed quality control. I got an A1 furniture kit that was advertised as excellent condition but they were in pretty rough shape. The sling mount on the stock was horribly rusted. So much so, that the pin holding it in place is seized up and cannot be driven out even after soaking it in  evapo-rust overnight.

I took apart the rifle that has that barrel and re-mounted it. While I was torqueing it down I placed a padded pipe wrench on the FSB and applied torque in the opposite direction till I got the barrel nut to line up with the gas tube. There was still a slight cant to the left so I kept torqueing the FSB to the right. I looked down the bore and lined up the iron sights and it is pretty much centered now. The bolt still locks up smoothly with the barrel lugs so it should be good now. While I had the barrel off, I replaced the delta ring with an early era flat slip ring. It looks alot better now.

I could have tried it with the barrel I just got last week, but it was still in the 30 day return window and it hasn't been shot yet, so I sent it back yesterday. Hopefully the replacement they send me isn't canted.

This is the rifle I hopefully fixed.

Link Posted: 11/20/2016 9:05:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Good to hear you fixed that one.
Now if I order one though they'll send me the one you sent back.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 9:11:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

I had the same experience.  Sent mine back.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 9:33:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Just took out my spare one to check the fsb.....no cant that I can tell, though I thought there was one at first (paranoid, maybe?). Other that eyeballing it from the index key, there isn't any other way to tell, right? And this one is chrome-lined too.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 1:19:47 AM EDT
[#26]
I recently purchased an upper that was slightly canted left. Didn't notice till I shot it and had to move windage all the way right at 25 m.  They sent me a replacement.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 5:32:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Just took out my spare one to check the fsb.....no cant that I can tell, though I thought there was one at first (paranoid, maybe?). Other that eyeballing it from the index key, there isn't any other way to tell, right? And this one is chrome-lined too.
View Quote

If you have an extra upper sitting around, mock up the barrel to it and put it in a clamp or something and look through the bore at a far off object, keep the barrel/upper clamped in that position and look through the sights. The sights should be on the same object. I honestly don't think you could really see a cant just looking at the barrel extension and front sight. It'd have to be crazy canted to see it that way.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 9:48:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

If you have an extra upper sitting around, mock up the barrel to it and put it in a clamp or something and look through the bore at a far off object, keep the barrel/upper clamped in that position and look through the sights. The sights should be on the same object. I honestly don't think you could really see a cant just looking at the barrel extension and front sight. It'd have to be crazy canted to see it that way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, there's no way to really tell unless you mock it up with a spare upper and bore sight it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 2:26:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, like he said, I think the most issued were 727's but they did develop the XM4 with an A2 handle . AFAIK.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 12:56:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yeah, there's no way to really tell unless you mock it up with a spare upper and bore sight it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, gonna do this exact test this weekend.....
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 7:56:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Got my barrel from Numrich yesterday.  No canted sight. non f-marked sight chrome line bore and chamber. happy happy joy joy.  No range report yet

Link Posted: 11/26/2016 11:10:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Nice, Hypersport750
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 11:43:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks Bro
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 6:00:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Will be getting my replacement barrel today. I won't have time to assemble it until Monday. Turn around for a replacement was pretty good considering I sent is back before Thanksgiving. Hopefully this one isn't canted and is still a chrome lined one.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 12:10:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Y'all twisted my arm....   just ordered one to go with an old Colt a2 upper I have sitting around
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 12:16:54 PM EDT
[#36]
My barrel is going on a nos bushmaster A2 upper.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 12:31:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
My barrel is going on a nos bushmaster A2 upper.
View Quote

The replacement  barrel is chrome lined (awesome!). I mocked it up with a spare M-4 upper I had and the front sight post looks square with the rails on the upper, so hopefully it isn't canted.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 6:55:48 AM EDT
[#38]
This thread got me to order one, too.  Arrived yesterday. It appears to be chrome lined with a straight front sight tower. Barrel is marked "BMP 5.56 NATO 1/9".  It definitely has storage/ handling marks, but they cleaned up pretty good with a CLP wipe down. Front end will need a front sight, detent and spring along with a sling swivel and rivet.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 3:29:43 PM EDT
[#39]
I have the same Bushmaster 14.5 inch barrels with IZZI Flash hiders (as sold by Numrich) on my RO723 and RO727 builds.  Both barrels are chrome lined, (1:9 twist) and both have performed well with 55gr and 62 gr ammunition.  I haven't tried anything heavier but have no complaints.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 5:37:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
This thread got me to order one, too.  Arrived yesterday. It appears to be chrome lined with a straight front sight tower. Barrel is marked "BMP 5.56 NATO 1/9".  It definitely has storage/ handling marks, but they cleaned up pretty good with a CLP wipe down. Front end will need a front sight, detent and spring along with a sling swivel and rivet.
View Quote

Bummer, didn't realize these didn't come with the front sight assembly complete. Off to order parts I guess.
Mine will be here wed
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 12:15:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Bummer, didn't realize these didn't come with the front sight assembly complete. Off to order parts I guess.
Mine will be here wed
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine will be here wed

Yeah, had I known I could have ordered all those pieces from them at the same time as the barrel assembly under one shipping charge.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 12:40:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Just received my barrel...  NOT chrome lined, but the FSB appears square. No "extra"  pieces (front sight, sling swivel) , but it has no handling marks either.  A "stone cold " mint barrel!

Chrome would've been nice, but I'm STILL pleased!
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 9:21:30 PM EDT
[#43]
How are some of these chrome lined and others not? Baffles.......
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 9:17:45 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
How are some of these chrome lined and others not? Baffles.......
View Quote

That is a good question. I am 3 for 3 on mine being chrome lined. I think that the non-chrome lined ones are later manufacture. I know that all early bushmaster barrels that are not their target barrels are chrome lined. Maybe they switched to non-chrome lined later on to save money on their basic rifles and chrome lining became an option?
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 11:04:25 AM EDT
[#45]
From looking at Numrich's inventory, it appears that they bought a warehouse full of old Bushmaster parts during their liquidation/acquisition. I would not be surprised at all if Bushmaster had a large stockpile of finished barrels and then a separate pile of unfinished parts (including non-chrome lined barrels) that they did a quick finish on and assembled, or if (less maliciously) someone was just in a hurry and pulled barrels destined for chroming from the rack or bin without paying attention.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 11:12:20 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
From looking at Numrich's inventory, it appears that they bought a warehouse full of old Bushmaster parts during their liquidation/acquisition. I would not be surprised at all if Bushmaster had a large stockpile of finished barrels and then a separate pile of unfinished parts (including non-chrome lined barrels) that they did a quick finish on and assembled, or if (less maliciously) someone was just in a hurry and pulled barrels destined for chroming from the rack or bin without paying attention.
View Quote

That's plausible too.

Link Posted: 12/11/2016 3:54:26 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm 2/2 chrome-lined. I honestly don't think I'd terribly mind it had I received either or both non-chrome-lined, though. I'd still consider it a great deal.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 7:59:23 AM EDT
[#48]
My chambers are chromed.

FSB was canted.  

I cannot tell for sure on the barrel but I think its chromed.

2/2
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 5:38:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Got mine today. Unchromed. FSB passes the eyeball test, FWIW.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 8:00:48 PM EDT
[#50]
This might be a dumb question, but how do you get the delta ring around the front site with a permanent flash hider?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top