Posted: 10/1/2016 11:57:56 AM EDT
I was browsing Numrich Gun Parts Corp., and I found these A2 upper receivers:

Regular, new manufacture, stripped A2 receiver ($80):
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/808830.htm

Presumably used A2 receiver with forward assist and dust cover ($75):
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/1480650.htm

And, most interestingly, in-the-white stripped A2 receiver ($40):
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/1480660.htm

How reasonable is it to run that unanodized receiver without anodizing it first, e.g. just cerakoting/duracoating it, because I already have an airbrush and an oven...
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 11:59:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm so glad none of those were LMG uppers, my bank account is screaming already.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 12:14:05 PM EDT
[#2]
  How reasonable is it to run that unanodized receiver without anodizing it first, e.g. just cerakoting/duracoating it, because I already have an airbrush and an oven...  
View Quote

At a cost of $40, I would say very reasonable.

Now, an anodized surfaces works very well with the various paints, but it is not necessary, just desirable.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 12:24:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I always wanted to take a $40 A2 and mill the handle off.
Add a SHORT rail guard...
And scout scope a 9mm off of it.

Now that would be a fast handling little package
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 12:28:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Fuck you guys are costing me money again.

I got the A2 in the white
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 1:03:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I always wanted to take a $40 A2 and mill the handle off.
Add a SHORT rail guard...
And scout scope a 9mm off of it.

Now that would be a fast handling little package
View Quote

Ok STOP with the crazy great ideas ..... I'm already going through a 9mm AR phase. I don't need anymore ideas.
This is a great idea for a truck gun.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 1:30:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Their flattop "in the white" uppers are $35.

I'm going to setup a dealer discount with them on Monday with my C&R, then buy some uppers.

Link Posted: 10/1/2016 3:09:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I picked up this one a few weeks ago.  It was brand new.  

Link Posted: 10/2/2016 6:42:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Damn, wanted one of those Sabre in the white uppers.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 10:44:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm tempted to pick one up. Seems tough to find a rear site assembly these days. Is the going price now around $60?
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 5:29:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I was considering one of these to complete my IDF clone build (I know, not an A1, but A1's are hens teeth and outside of my budget), I am probably going to go with them because I have always been happy with Numrich. Plus the free shipping code you get by calling them during business hours helps too
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 6:44:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I got mine in and an A2 rear sight kit on the way from Sarco Arms. Going with a raw aluminum build. Might get their 14.5" pinned barrel for this one too.

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:14:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Polish that beast like a mirror!!
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:49:51 PM EDT
[#13]
You still have to seal it from oxidation afterwards.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 3:34:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm going for the oxidized look I want to see how it wears over time, not to look like Cartel El Heffe the drug kingpin.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 3:34:30 PM EDT
[#15]
The in the white might be a good option for those seeking a M4 cut A2 upper, if they are willing to do the grinding themselves and send it out for anodizing or send it to a competent gunsmith with anodizing setup.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 3:40:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The in the white might be a good option for those seeking a M4 cut A2 upper, if they are willing to do the grinding themselves and send it out for anodizing or send it to a competent gunsmith with anodizing setup.
View Quote

The one in the raw I received came with the M4 cutouts.

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 6:59:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Silly me i read over the description on the product page to fast
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:38:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks, I've been looking for a inexpensive upper and lower to build a unusual AR. Now I have to find a 18" barrel in .357 with a 1:10 twist.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 1:58:02 PM EDT
[#19]
"This stripped A2 upper receiver is CNC machined from a 7075 T-6 aluminum billet. The receiver is fully-machined and ready for a final surface preparation and anodizing process. Features include a carry handle, M4 feed ramp cuts, and forward assist housing. The left side of the receiver includes a Cerro Forge keyhole forging mark"
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 2:05:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You still have to seal it from oxidation afterwards.
View Quote

I have un-anodized lowers from around 2004 to current that haven't corroded. I just hose them down with wd-40. I've seen aluminum fire hose fittings corrode, but we are talking about being stored in an old barn and probably a lot of rat piss.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 2:30:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:  "This stripped A2 upper receiver is CNC machined from a 7075 T-6 aluminum billet. The receiver is fully-machined and ready for a final surface preparation and anodizing process. Features include a carry handle, M4 feed ramp cuts, and forward assist housing. The left side of the receiver includes a Cerro Forge keyhole forging mark"
View Quote

Nice of them to machine that in as a conversation starter.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:17:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I was browsing Numrich Gun Parts Corp., and I found these A2 upper receivers:

Regular, new manufacture, stripped A2 receiver ($80):
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/808830.htm

Presumably used A2 receiver with forward assist and dust cover ($75):

And, most interestingly, in-the-white stripped A2 receiver ($40):
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/1480660.htm

View Quote

Completely reasonable. The cearakote/duracoat will seal it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:38:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Polish that beast like a mirror!!
View Quote

Mothers Mag Wheel polish for the win!
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 10:40:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Got one of those A2 w/M4 ramp uppers. It looked and fit great. Still waiting on getting it back from anodizing to finish my 727 build...
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 11:01:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Just picked up a "white" one.

Starting a retro build, even though the rear sight may not be totally correct.

I've sprayed many uppers and lowers with Brownell's "Gun Kote"

Those in the know, will this be sufficient in sealing the upper?
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 5:59:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Bumping this, instead of making an edit.

Got my upper today. Very nice looking and well made.

However, mine came with out M4 ramps.

Oh well, I'll break out the dremmel if I really need them later.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 12:25:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

It will be ok, don't dremel it. See photo below for reference. Feed ramps in the M-4 upper were for the higher rate of fire and shitty magazines for the A-2 carbine.

Link Posted: 12/26/2016 12:36:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have one on the way and I bought it just because it was supposed to have M4 cuts. I'm not going to be happy if it doesn't.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 7:48:58 PM EDT
[#29]
I have one on the way as well, will report back. Think I'm going to use Norrells.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 1:53:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I have one on the way and I bought it just because it was supposed to have M4 cuts. I'm not going to be happy if it doesn't.
View Quote

Got it and it has no M4 cuts. Called Numrich and they said it was a mistake in the description. She said lowers are cut with feedramps not uppers.

I tried to explain it to her that it is the upper not lower that gets the feed ramps, but it was like talking to a wall. Anyway they are taking it back.

If anyone bought an extra and it does have M4 cuts and you want to sell one, let me know.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 2:33:28 PM EDT
[#31]
so will coating one of these in something like gun-kote or brownells aluma-hyde work as i really want to pick up one of these uppers. I am still kickin myself for not getting one of those $40 CDNN A2 uppers.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 2:52:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I was considering one of these to complete my IDF clone build (I know, not an A1, but A1's are hens teeth and outside of my budget), I am probably going to go with them because I have always been happy with Numrich. Plus the free shipping code you get by calling them during business hours helps too
View Quote

So how do you get this free shipping code?
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 3:52:19 PM EDT
[#33]
I got the shipping code. Today it is 3742. It isnt free shipping, but it is a reduction of $4.95.

I have a question before i order one of these uppers. These say semi-finished, does that mean that there will need to be some finial mill work done to it before it can be used like a 80% receiver or is it just the finish you need to do?
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 9:41:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I got the shipping code. Today it is 3742. It isnt free shipping, but it is a reduction of $4.95.

I have a question before i order one of these uppers. These say semi-finished, does that mean that there will need to be some finial mill work done to it before it can be used like a 80% receiver or is it just the finish you need to do?
View Quote

The metal work is done. You just need to apply the coating of your choice.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 10:57:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I have one on the way as well, will report back. Think I'm going to use Norrells.
View Quote

Ditto- due by usps today...I've used Norrells before, I think it's my favorite spray-on coating. I'm thinking Colt gray...

I'll report if m4 cuts or not this eve. No cuts are not an issue to me.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 10:58:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Got it and it has no M4 cuts. Called Numrich and they said it was a mistake in the description. She said lowers are cut with feedramps not uppers.

I tried to explain it to her that it is the upper not lower that gets the feed ramps, but it was like talking to a wall. Anyway they are taking it back.

If anyone bought an extra and it does have M4 cuts and you want to sell one, let me know.

Thanks.
View Quote

Put it up on the EE, someone will buy it from you.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 9:05:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Got it.
No M4 ramps.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 11:04:31 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm OK with the lack of ramps with mine coming in.  Sadly, I have a super nice CM upper in original gray that I built into a 20" A2.  It has ramps and the "4" stamped in the front.  Crikies, I wish like the dickens it didn't have them.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 11:19:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

Even if it did i would be screwed as i already ordered one!
Cant wait to build it into something! Now ths hard part. What do i build?
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 2:55:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:  Thanks.

View Quote

The Army's modernized A2 - 20" bbl, quad rail, red dot on the rail, and a collapsible stock.  Issued that way in Iraq.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 4:30:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Thanks.
View Quote

Since it isn't anodized yet, why not just cut the ramps your self? Perfect time to match them to your barrel. You don't really need them anyways, I have numerous unramped uppers with ramped barrels that run 100%
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 9:10:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Interesting to see the variety, mine came with feed ramps a few months back. Once US Anodizing is taking work again I'm sending it in for a truck gun upper.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 2:10:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The Army's modernized A2 - 20" bbl, quad rail, red dot on the rail, and a collapsible stock.  Issued that way in Iraq.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Thanks.

I cant decide. I have always wanted to build a clone of Gary Gordon 's suppressed 727. But then a colt commando is so appealing. Then again the M16A2 is what got me into guns. So many choices, only one receiver.

The 20 inch A2 would probably be the cheapest for now as my 6.5 grendel i am building is using an A2 buttstock. I could just swap lowers for now and build up a deticated lower later on. When ever that may be.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 2:21:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Interesting to see the variety, mine came with feed ramps a few months back. Once US Anodizing is taking work again I'm sending it in for a truck gun upper.
View Quote

Mine's been there since the beginning of October
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 5:18:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Why are guys buying these to have anodized? You can buy finished receivers. I bought 3 of these to build into polished builds, I'd been looking for either bare or NiB a1 or a2 uppers for a long time. I already did a build with a NiB a4 upper because that's all I could find.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 6:19:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Why are guys buying these to have anodized? You can buy finished receivers. I bought 3 of these to build into polished builds, I'd been looking for either bare or NiB a1 or a2 uppers for a long time. I already did a build with a NiB a4 upper because that's all I could find.
View Quote

Yeah, add the cost of the forward assist, ejection port cover, and sights to the anodizing cost (including more shipping charges) and the complete uppers are comparable in price.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 9:57:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Yeah, add the cost of the forward assist, ejection port cover, and sights to the anodizing cost (including more shipping charges) and the complete uppers are comparable in price.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or, just go the parts bin and spray it yourself, and you have a $40 A2 upper.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 9:28:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

For me, I plan on finishing mine in a non stock color and.......I have an out of spec upper that is donating the sights.  Port door and FA are parts bin items. I have several receivers that I bought from Elohim1 many years ago when they were almost cheap.   This $40 upper is going to cost me more money though.  I can finish it in Norrells gray and replace the upper on my A2 20" that has ramps.  That gray upper with ramps would need to be finished into a 727 so either way, I'm screwed.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 9:52:15 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh yeah, all those A2 parts that are just laying around in my parts bin...My parts bin is full of USGI FCGs and stock carbine buffers.  Want to trade for some A2 sights?
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 12:08:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Oh yeah, all those A2 parts that are just laying around in my parts bin...My parts bin is full of USGI FCGs and stock carbine buffers.  Want to trade for some A2 sights?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Guess it's time to diversify?

I didn't want to start an argument. Just stating my opinion.

BTW: DelTon has A2 sights, complete for $50.

I was lucky enough to have a set in the bin. As well as the rest of the parts to complete the upper. Including paint.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top