Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2016 4:57:05 PM EDT
I have 3 AR's but until today they all had carry handles.  Two now have flat tops and I am looking for a good quality rear sight for each.

The 16" barrel I use for work and has an Aimpoint but at qualifications at least once a year they make us qualify with iron sights with the Aimpoint turned off.
Wont use it often but I want a good quality one.

My 20" heavy barrel I plan on mounting a good quality scope for hunting Coyotes, Bobcat etc..  May not actually need a rear sight on this one except for SHTF scenarios.  If I do it I want quality.  All I have ever shot is carry handle AR's.  

Any suggestions on brands?

Is there a strong preference for solid of flip up?
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 5:03:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

The 16" barrel I use for work and has an Aimpoint but at qualifications at least once a year they make us qualify with iron sights with the Aimpoint turned off.

View Quote

I like the LMT sight for that scenario, Daniel Defense also has a nice A1.5, but the LMT sight is most likely what you are used to.  It isn't a flip up, but I think most people with Aimpoints like them.

Quoted:

My 20" heavy barrel I plan on mounting a good quality scope for hunting Coyotes, Bobcat etc..  May not actually need a rear sight on this one except for SHTF scenarios.  If I do it I want quality.  All I have ever shot is carry handle AR's.  

View Quote

I like the KAC sights for that.  I prefer the standard rear, as opposed to their smaller line, but it doesn't really matter for the rear.  I strongly prefer their regular front sight, but they are pricey.  

For the ones that I don't feel like spending that much on, I usually get a Matech off of the EE.  I've been paying around $40, shipped.  I don't know about front folders, other than the one I mentioned, as most of mine have fixed front sights.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 5:12:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't comment as I don't own this one but this is on my list when they are back in stock - I think it's really sharp....

http://shop.hahn-precision.com/BUIS-Rear-ASAB0506.htm
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 5:20:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Both uppers have the permanent mounted front sights.  I was reading on Spike's Tactical and they sell Magpull that says they are the same height as ,,  Would the rear BUIS  you mentioned work well with my factory front sights?  Any that don't work?  Thanks for the response.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 5:43:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Both uppers have the permanent mounted front sights.  I was reading on Spike's Tactical and they sell Magpull that says they are the same height as ,,  Would the rear BUIS  you mentioned work well with my factory front sights?  Any that don't work?  Thanks for the response.
View Quote

To be completely honest, front sights confuse the hell out of me.  Were both of these originally on A2 uppers?  From what I know, which isn't much, that would lead me to believe that they are not F marked front sight posts, which aren't supposed to be the ideal match for a carry handle, and the LMT sight is essentially a chopped carry handle.

The F marked front sight base sits up slightly higher to accommodate for a carry handle being slightly taller than the sight on an A2 upper.  

There was just a thread talking about running A2 uppers with F marked front sights bases, which is the opposite, and also not ideal, and they didn't seem to have any issues.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 6:14:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I was looking around at Daniel Defense and LMT.  Ended up calling Primary Arms after hearing good things on this site about them.  I went with a Magpul. MBUS Pro.  I told the guy (who was very helpful by the way) I wanted quality and was not intersted in plastic.  He said he uses a MBUS Pro with a red Dot on his rifle.  It is a flip up and made of steel.  I think it will work.  I plan on mounting it on my 16" work gun and seeing how I like it.

I will either not put a rear sight on my 20" of maybe order another MBUS Pro if I really like it.

Thanks for the help
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 6:54:19 PM EDT
[#6]
It should work.  Or you could try, Troy, they make some really good ones.  Or try a Matech which is one of the ones the GI's use.  I saw a couple in the EE a little while ago.  And then there's the KAC ones.....  MI makes some.   The magpuls are light and cheap and I think work.  Although  I have very little experience with them.  A friend just got a Ruger AR over the winter and it had a magpul on it and I shot with it.  Worked as it should.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 6:58:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Grab a USMC marked knights armament micro off ebay for 60 bucks.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 7:32:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I wouldnt want that unless I was a Marine... Not that there is anything wrong with Marines, but being ex-Army I'd go Matech or get the non-USMC marked equivalent.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 7:49:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I wouldnt want that unless I was a Marine... Not that there is anything wrong with Marines, but being ex-Army I'd go Matech or get the non-USMC marked equivalent.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Eh, file it off and blue/primer/alumahyde it if it bothers you.

Link Posted: 5/18/2016 8:03:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lot of work to save $30.... I'd just pay the extra... Pretty sure a good amount of Marines wouldn't want it if it was marked "ARMY" instead of "USMC"... Just the way it is.  It's not hating, just showing pride in your service.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 8:08:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Lot of work to save $30.... I'd just pay the extra... Pretty sure a good amount of Marines wouldn't want it if it was marked "ARMY" instead of "USMC"... Just the way it is.  It's not hating, just showing pride in your service.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fair enough.

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 1:23:54 PM EDT
[#12]
The three I use the most are ARMS #40L (been on my primary go to carbine since 04'), MaTech and within the last year KAC 600m.  Used to use a KAC 300m behind the Aimpoint but not really adjustable for elevation (its a field sight).

CD
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 12:21:09 AM EDT
[#13]
The Magpul BUIS polymer are actually some of the best sights you can get. They take a hell of a beating and maintain zero very well. They also don't weigh much.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 12:48:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The three I use the most are ARMS #40L (been on my primary go to carbine since 04'), MaTech and within the last year KAC 600m.  Used to use a KAC 300m behind the Aimpoint but not really adjustable for elevation (its a field sight).

CD
View Quote

That's why it's only suggested for 300m. Best for use with short barrels 10.3-12.5"
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 10:56:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That's why it's only suggested for 300m. Best for use with short barrels 10.3-12.5"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CD

The 10.3" barrels get one of the following
Cut down detachable carrying handle (USN)
MaTech (USA)
KAC 300 (USA)
KAC 600 (all SOCOM)

CD

Link Posted: 5/22/2016 3:46:47 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I have 3 AR's but until today they all had carry handles.  Two now have flat tops and I am looking for a good quality rear sight for each.

Any suggestions on brands?

Is there a strong preference for solid of flip up?
View Quote
+1 for the LMT rear sight on my MK18 Mod 0 which has a CCO on it.  MaTech on my issue clone M4 with TA31 RCO, really depends on the optic you're going to use. Good luck and post pics when you get her done (need inspiration for my coyote gun build)

Link Posted: 5/22/2016 4:10:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I have these on a few of my rifles and really like them

GG&G Spring Actuated BUIS
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top