Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2016 1:48:24 AM EDT
Got a complete A2 receiver, A2 buttstock kit, a set of rifle length handguards, a previously drilled bare FSB (will tap it for 6 set screws), a spare bolt carrier with key, a recently completed 80% lower, and no other plans for any of this stuff.  Kind of got the itch to build an A2 service rifle upper and start shooting CMP service rifle matches again.  Just need the barrel, NM rear sight kit, front sight post kit, A2 flash hider w/ crush washer, the NM FF tube kit less handguards, and the lead weights for the stock and handguards.

Anyone do this themselves before?  My last ones were a WOA and Rock River NM uppers.  Sold them when I joined the Army and stopped shooting competitively and now I kind of regret it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 10:58:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I've kicked the idea around as part of my goal to updated my A2, get an A4 NM upper as well as build a SAM-R clone (or close enough).  I've not been looking to create the ultimate upper, but get what I want in the most cost effective way, plus I have all of the tools to build an upper and its fun.  I can't afford all three at the same time, but looking for a lightly used RRA NM A4 upper vs. the 18% off deal on a new one direct from RRA.  I started to look to see what it would cost to part out a new upper and building myself, but I need to finish that.  Have you built out a parts list and cost yet?

I'm also as part of my ongoing efforts to standardize my AR's as much as possible, I'm going with KAC FF RAS for all of my 20" rifles.  Gives me FF and common base across all 20", just like on most of my carbines.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 1:43:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like a good plan to me.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 2:12:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've kicked the idea around as part of my goal to updated my A2, get an A4 NM upper as well as build a SAM-R clone (or close enough).  I've not been looking to create the ultimate upper, but get what I want in the most cost effective way, plus I have all of the tools to build an upper and its fun.  I can't afford all three at the same time, but looking for a lightly used RRA NM A4 upper vs. the 18% off deal on a new one direct from RRA.  I started to look to see what it would cost to part out a new upper and building myself, but I need to finish that.  Have you built out a parts list and cost yet?

I'm also as part of my ongoing efforts to standardize my AR's as much as possible, I'm going with KAC FF RAS for all of my 20" rifles.  Gives me FF and common base across all 20", just like on most of my carbines.
View Quote

I've not done up a parts list yet. But what I do need is...

Barrel 1-8 twist 223 wylde

Front sight guts

Rear sight assembly

Bolt

NM FF tube

NM Gas tube

A2 FH and crush washer

A NM trigger

My low end SWAG estimate is about $500

Link Posted: 5/16/2016 7:54:09 PM EDT
[#4]
OP, your thread has me thinking about this more.  As much as I want to build or buy a NM upper, I started thinking more about building one from scratch.  As I started to type in the components it dawned on me that if I replace the 1:9 twist barrel in my current RRA plain stock A2 with a 1:7 barrel and toss one of the KAC FF RAS's on it, I'd be good to go for now.  Maybe move one of the RRA NM LPK's over to the A2 also.  Biggest limiting factor for me as been the inability to shoot the 77g rounds and not have a free float barrel in the current A2.  I'm going to price out a NM vs. A2 rebuild and see what the numbers look like.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 8:11:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

OP, your thread has me thinking about this more.  As much as I want to build or buy a NM upper, I started thinking more about building one from scratch.  As I started to type in the components it dawned on me that if I replace the 1:9 twist barrel in my current RRA plain stock A2 with a 1:7 barrel and toss one of the KAC FF RAS's on it, I'd be good to go for now.  Maybe move one of the RRA NM LPK's over to the A2 also.  Biggest limiting factor for me as been the inability to shoot the 77g rounds and not have a free float barrel in the current A2.  I'm going to price out a NM vs. A2 rebuild and see what the numbers look like.
View Quote

Cool let me know what you find.  I'm looking for a specific vendor who sells the barrel with a matched bolt....their price was the best but I can't seem to find them now

<edit> found it, Compass Lake Engineering.  My estimation is way low I'm starting to see.  I might just get a RRA instead or look for a used one.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 4:00:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Over the years I have put together some like I was issued in the service.  Ron
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 5:11:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Over the years I have put together some like I was issued in the service.  Ron

View Quote

Lol this is different. We are talking CMP/NRA competition guns.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 9:45:17 PM EDT
[#8]
YEA!  Competition guns?
I got a little mixed up here. LOL

Good luck building your Competition upper.

RON
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 10:07:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, I just ordered the Windham Weaponry 20" A2 Gov profile barrel and I'm going to replace the 1/9 twist factory barrel on my RRA A2 with the 1/7 WW.  I'm going to replace the regular A2 hand guard with the KAC FF RAS (long version, ~12") and its going to be my "poor man's HP rifle until I figure out what to do for a dedicated NM/HP upper.  I've been wanting to get this rifle to a 1/7 barrel for years and I can do both.  While at the NRA Show, the RRA rep suggested waiting until Camp Perry RRA store opens and buy either a factory NM upper or full rifle (or maybe just the NM barrel) at significant discount.  Thats only a wait until mid July.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 7:11:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I've built all of mine. I'm sure the WW barrel is nice, but it's a gov. profile. You could have ordered a stainless 1/7 competition barrel from Keystone Accuracy or WOA for about the same money. Isn't the WW barrel $215? WOA post ban (no flash hider) SS match barrels are $225.

B
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 8:57:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've built all of mine. I'm sure the WW barrel is nice, but it's a gov. profile. You could have ordered a stainless 1/7 competition barrel from Keystone Accuracy or WOA for about the same money. Isn't the WW barrel $215? WOA post ban (no flash hider) SS match barrels are $225.

B
View Quote

Right but I was looking for a gov profile barrel WITH a pinned FSB, not just a barrel.  This was a simple, cheap way to update my A2 to the ability to shoot up to 77g ammo and get it on par with the rest of my AR's.  I expect to use it for HP only until I either build or buy a new rifle or upper dedicated to HP, then I'll follow the path you are outlining.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top