Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2016 7:29:09 PM EDT
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3]I have a question no one seems to be able to answer (Brownells, local RKIs, etc).  I'm in the middle of 'personalizing' my 24 in HB (Bull barrel) 'custom AR'.   It currently has a 12 inch solid aluminum handguard...I'm installing a low profile gas block (a whole 'other' subject), and am looking to replace the current tube with a 15 in slotted handguard - strictly for aesthetics (but possibly in the future a set of BUISes).  My question is - do free float handguards (themselves) have a 'standard' thread (I realize the barrel nut IS standardized) or do the threads vary between manufacturers with each (or several) having proprietary threads???  I'd like to simply replace the tube without having to also replace the barrel nut itself if and when I find a replacement.  My barrel is a 24 inch, SS, 1 in 8 heavy profile with a diameter of .936 from the muzzle to the gas port 'shoulder', .940.4 at the shoulder and 1 in at the breech; it's marked DSC which I understand from research online (possibly this forum) is a Wilson barrel made for Double Star.  The original large gas block was extremely difficult to remove...I wound up trying to cut it off with a Dremel cutting wheel and finally bulled it off with a pair of 'Vise Grips 'and lots of elbow grease.  I thought the shoulder diameter was .936, but after getting a low profile gas block from Brownells and not being able to fit it easily I measured the shoulder and came up with the .940 dimension...I called Brownells and was advised to use emery cloth/WetorDry paper to carefully reduce the diameter to .936...I accidentally found a .940 LP gas block listed on Olympic Arms website while looking for a completely unrelated item...after giving it some serious thought I decided to go ahead and buy that gas block in early June when funds become available...I'd appreciate your thoughts on this subject also  /size=3][/font=Comic Sans MS]
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 8:08:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Barrel nut thread pattern is standard. Most ff rails or handgaurd use there own nut. Some dont. But not may use the standard nut to my knowledge
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 2:09:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Barrel nut thread pattern is standard. Most ff rails or handgaurd use there own nut. Some dont. But not may use the standard nut to my knowledge
View Quote

^ this

Also, most aftermarket hand guards include the compatible barrel nut. Don't know about every on, but my DD and MI hand guards also came with a barrel nut wrench to match their proprietary barrel nut.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 10:46:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks to you and to all who responded!!!  I'm looking at 15 in rails on E-Bay...any thoughts???
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top