Link Posted: 5/10/2016 9:29:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I bought one, anyone else?  
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 9:29:57 AM EDT
[#2]
double
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 11:49:47 AM EDT
[#3]
It looks like the hole for the rear-sight-elevation-wheel-spring-retaining roll pin (on the left side) is jacked up.  Check out their third pic.  I'm curious enough to possibly roll the dice, but I don't know if these receivers will be serviceable.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 4:11:14 PM EDT
[#4]
It says in the description that there will be damage there.   Hasty stripping with improper tools?
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 4:45:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll post pics when it arrives, maybe even melt it down to make me some new glasses.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 8:38:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Bought one too, time to do that A2 rifle I've been putting off
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 10:20:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought one... I was in such a rush to get a good deal, I didn't see the damage =(  How do  you advertise something as "GOOD" condition when this could very well make it unserviceable? Anyone know their return policy? I very well might dispute this purchase with my credit card company =P
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 5:28:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I see they are now out of stock - what price were they being sold at??
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 5:45:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I think they were listed around $110.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 10:41:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Anyone feels they wanted in on this "deal", COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS.... This is no deal =P

*edited to make sure noboy thinks Im trying to turn this into an EE ad*
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 9:42:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anyone feels they wanted in on this "deal" email me... I havent received mine yet but I'll be happy to sell it for what I paid - I won't even open the box to look at it. Email me and it's yours for $116 - I'll eat the shipping.
View Quote

This is a technical forum.  Please keep it that way and not turn it into EE
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 12:14:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Anyone feels they wanted in on this "deal" email me... I havent received mine yet but I'll be happy to sell it for what I paid - I won't even open the box to look at it. Email me and it's yours for $116 - I'll eat the shipping.

Bough one knowing about the damage, might try my hand at repair or have braceman look at it ( he welded a demill together into a semi-lower for me last year)

Link Posted: 5/18/2016 4:32:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, didnt mean it that way... Just making a point that people shouldnt feel bad about missing out on this "deal". To buy a damaged upper like this makes no sense. I can almost kick myself for it. Can I fix it? Sure. but why buy something for $116 damaged when the read deal pops up used on EE for $135? And thats with rear sight, door, and FA.

Sure I should take more time to study and read the fine print of everything I buy, but thats not reality for 99% of the world. APEX WILL NEVER GET MY BUSINESS AGAIN. They mislead and seem to advetise dishonestly, IMO. If its too jacked up and non-returnable, I'll let my credit card company work for me.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 8:03:36 PM EDT
[#14]
I got a brief chance to photo the damage on mine today

Mine is CM forge, and obviously re-finished (too bad its a **** job, I'll be sandblasting) besides the damage everything else looks good, no notable wear on anything.  I hope I can fix that little break and get this upper back in service, got a Colt 1/7 thin 16 inch barrel begging to be put on

Link Posted: 5/18/2016 8:05:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/htbanks1/media/image1%202_zpsn6xt0znc.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b635/htbanks1/image1%202_zpsn6xt0znc.jpg</a>

Mine is CM forge, and obviously re-finished (too bad its a **** job, I'll be sandblasting) besides the damage everything else looks good, no notable wear on anything.  I hope I can fix that little break and get this upper back in service, got a Colt 1/7 thin 16 inch barrel begging to be put on

View Quote

What is their return policy?  Might be better to eat the $7 in return shipping... I'm gonna try to send mine back if it looks like that.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 8:09:39 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

What is their return policy?  Might be better to eat the $7 in return shipping... I'm gonna try to send mine back if it looks like that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

<a href="http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/htbanks1/media/image1%202_zpsn6xt0znc.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b635/htbanks1/image1%202_zpsn6xt0znc.jpg</a>

Note quite sure boss, I've bought A1 uppers and associated parts from them before and never had anything that needed to be sent back. I'd shoot 'em a call in the AM (its 20:03 here), see what they say

Link Posted: 5/18/2016 8:13:30 PM EDT
[#17]

Note quite sure boss, I've bought A1 uppers and associated parts from them before and never had anything that needed to be sent back. I'd shoot 'em a call in the AM (its 20:03 here), see what they say  
View Quote

Well, I just don't want to jump the gun as by some miracle, mine might be usable... But if I was you bro, you might want to consider it.  It's not right that they listed them as "Good" condition... Not to mention they've been rattle canned. Honestly, they should have asked $50 for those, IMO.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 8:19:39 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Well, I just don't want to jump the gun as by some miracle, mine might be usable... But if I was you bro, you might want to consider it.  It's not right that they listed them as "Good" condition... Not to mention they've been rattle canned. Honestly, they should have asked $50 for those, IMO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm gonna see what my options are here, we have a machine shop here at home but none of us are very good welders, I've got a guy who might be able to do it, once I hear from him and if its doable I'll definitely post here about it. Like someone posted above, throw that SOB for sale in the EE, someone will probably snatch it up. For me, I enjoy getting broken things back into functional rifles:

From this:

To this:

And finally:

Most things can be done, just takes time, patience, and $
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 10:28:53 PM EDT
[#19]

Most things can be done, just takes time, patience, and $
View Quote

Very nice restore. And I have no problem with that.  My problem is APEX hid the defects and then charged close to max Price on top of it all.  

I bought a 604 upper here on the EE for $40 - but the issue with it is someone chopped of the carry handle.  Now for $40, I might try to do something with it.... But I wouldn't pay $200 for a 604 upper so I could try to fix it into something. Like I said a few posts earlier, APEX should be selling these for $50.  But the fact is, they are greedy. I really have no desire to try to fix this upper even though I'm sure I could - or at least find someone.

I have no problem disputing the charge if APEX doesn't accept returns.  This is a horrible way to run a business.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 3:44:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Well, after all my bitching and moaning, I received my APEX upper. Like someone stated before, the finish looks bad, like really bad for a refinish job, but surprisingly, mine has no break at the pin. Im happy that at least its servicable. But this finish, whatever it is, needs a blasting. Also, the forge marks on mine are very worn, perhaps from someone impropperly trying to restore it? Oh well, it'll be possibly a battlefeild pick up style finish on this one for me.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 4:42:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I have no problem disputing the charge if APEX doesn't accept returns.  This is a horrible way to run a business.
View Quote

They sold you exactly what the description said they were selling you.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 4:53:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure they did, still think they tried to hide the damage from people like me that don't look at every picture and and read the description... Am I to blame?  Sure, I didn't read it.. Still think they were trying to hide it - which, IMO, is deceitful. If they were honest, the first pic would show the damage and they wouldn't be labeled as "good".  "Damaged" would be more appropriate.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 5:34:53 PM EDT
[#23]
The text said they were damaged and it's shown VERY clearly in the picture. I don't know how you didn't notice?
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 5:48:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The text said they were damaged and it's shown VERY clearly in the picture. I don't know how you didn't notice?
View Quote

When I went to the site, I saw there was only one left.... I didn't read the description.  I read the tittle, "Colt AR15/M16A2 Upper Receiver, Stripped *GOOD* SKU: M16A2-STRUP-GDR"

Now where, in that title do you see "Damaged"... Do you consider unserviceable "good" condition? I said I am to blame but I also feel it was deceptive advertising for people like me that didn't read the description or look at all the pictures.  I'll watch APEX closely and read the fine print if I ever deal with them again.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 9:10:37 AM EDT
[#25]
From their site:

"These upper receivers are stripped of all parts, and were in the process of being refinished before the project was cancelled.
Receivers will have minor damage to the left side of the rear sight base.
Used in good condition, these uppers show some wear, and were not completely refinished."

And the damage is clearly shown in the second picture.

I've ordered from them a few times with no complaints. Your claims of "deceit" are completely baseless in my opinion.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 3:05:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
From their site:

"These upper receivers are stripped of all parts, and were in the process of being refinished before the project was cancelled.
Used in good condition, these uppers show some wear, and were not completely refinished."

I've ordered from them a few times with no complaints. Your claims of "deceit" are completely baseless in my opinion.
View Quote

No, you don't understand. The entire description was not in 24pt bold, red, italic, underlined, flashing font. That's completely dishonest and I think he should totally get his money back.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 3:49:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
From their site:

View Quote

Honestly, no offense, I didn't ask for you opinion. You have every right to state your opinion but I disagree.  I don't feel the listing was straight forward... Do you consider unserviceable parts to be "GOOD" condition?
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 3:51:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

No, you don't understand. The entire description was not in 24pt bold, red, italic, underlined, flashing font. That's completely dishonest and I think he should totally get his money back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
From their site:

You aren't witty... Nobody asked for your sarcasm either... Why don't you take that wit of yours to GD?
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 10:09:51 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Well, after all my bitching and moaning, I received my APEX upper. Like someone stated before, the finish looks bad, like really bad for a refinish job, but surprisingly, mine has no break at the pin. Im happy that at least its servicable. But this finish, whatever it is, needs a blasting. Also, the forge marks on mine are very worn, perhaps from someone impropperly trying to restore it? Oh well, it'll be possibly a battlefeild pick up style finish on this one for me.
View Quote
Any pics?

Link Posted: 5/22/2016 12:14:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Any pics?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any pics?  

Here you go... Strange, I got the last one and it isn't broken.  Seems kinda backwards to me but I can't complain.

Link Posted: 5/22/2016 8:53:45 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any pics?  

Here you go... Strange, I got the last one and it isn't broken.  Seems kinda backwards to me but I can't complain.

http://s32.postimg.org/oz85cu2lx/20160521_235550.jpg

http://s32.postimg.org/a8mk6ed9x/20160521_235601.jpg

http://s32.postimg.org/o6wr5j0l1/20160521_235648.jpg

http://s32.postimg.org/glbtagsz9/20160521_235622.jpg

http://s32.postimg.org/rzc4qw7n9/20160521_235634.jpg
hell yeah dude, glad you lucked out. Wonder if anyone else got lucky with their APEX A2 upper

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 1:04:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
hell yeah dude, glad you lucked out. Wonder if anyone else got lucky with their APEX A2 upper  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any pics?  

http://s32.postimg.org/oz85cu2lx/20160521_235550.jpg

http://s32.postimg.org/a8mk6ed9x/20160521_235601.jpg

http://s32.postimg.org/o6wr5j0l1/20160521_235648.jpg

http://s32.postimg.org/glbtagsz9/20160521_235622.jpg

http://s32.postimg.org/rzc4qw7n9/20160521_235634.jpg

If you want to send yours back, according to the paperwork, you got 30 days.  I'll be happy to work something out with this one for you... I don't need it, honestly... Let me know via IM
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 9:37:04 AM EDT
[#33]
How were they refinished?  If it's only paint then acetone will take it right off and leave the anodizing underneath alone.  I personally like the wear that shows with hard honest use but if that's not your bag then it will need to be reanodized/refinished.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 9:16:55 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

How were they refinished?  If it's only paint then acetone will take it right off and leave the anodizing underneath alone.  I personally like the wear that shows with hard honest use but if that's not your bag then it will need to be reanodized/refinished.
View Quote
mine wasn't finished very well.....not sure on the components of the refinish but I sandblasted it for a new coat of norrell's. ill post pics soon

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 6:17:38 PM EDT
[#35]
I used my Apex Colt A2 upper for my 203 clone build.  

" />
" />
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 6:17:38 PM EDT
[#36]
double
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 8:15:58 AM EDT
[#37]
your upper looks great compared to the one I got. Mine is a CM forge too but the markings are really faded and the finish looks like a rattle can job. Nice A2/203 combo btw
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 8:47:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
your upper looks great compared to the one I got. Mine is a CM forge too but the markings are really faded and the finish looks like a rattle can job. Nice A2/203 combo btw
View Quote

Thanks, the finish is pretty good but the roll pin hole was damaged on the left side but not bad enough that a roll pin could not be held in place.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 8:47:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Another damn double tap
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 10:09:18 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Thanks, the finish is pretty good but the roll pin hole was damaged on the left side but not bad enough that a roll pin could not be held in place.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

yes sir, same here. I was gonna try to repair it, but a roll pin fits quite snugly in there so I'm gonna leave it alone. With the elevation know and all the other stuff installed it won't be as noticeable.

Link Posted: 7/6/2016 1:31:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 6:18:25 PM EDT
[#42]
finally got a chance to take some pics of my APEX A2 upper, schedule has been FUBAR as of late: CM forge code with "C" in a square by the port door

Even after sandblasting, there are some pretty visible swirl marks on the upper like someone took an compressed-air sanding disk to get the original finish off before they refinished it. Will clean with acetone and Norrell's it for a Gov't Carbine-ish build.

Link Posted: 7/7/2016 4:31:00 PM EDT
[#43]
it looks like the carry handle is a bit short at the back
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 9:10:05 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

it looks like the carry handle is a bit short at the back
View Quote
Point it out? I hadn't noticed anything when I compare it to my FN and other Colt A2 uppers, but i might've missed something

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top