Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2016 10:53:57 PM EDT
For awhile there, I was only attracted to A2 style rifles. Purty much anything that had an A2 upper on it I was obsessed about. Funny thing being I only handled an A2 a few times my whole time in the Army (4 years).

The first being when I had to chew out a young private for leaving his A2 unsecured in the dining hall at KAF while I was waiting to fly back stateside. It was just a standard M16A2 with KAC rail to accommodate PEQ15 and Surefire. After making sure he understood the importance of always having possession of your rifle downrange, I gave it back and went along my way. Second and most often time after that handling an A2 was when I was the acting armsroom NCOIC even though I was getting out in less than 4 months cause the corporal they had take over the armsroom after I got back from Afghanistan couldn't hack it (ultimately got stripped of corporal rank by our 1sg for messing up and then I got him kicked out Army for multiple pt failures before I left). My buddy (who was with 1st AD during surge and took a round to the esapi in the back) was helping me do inventory to make sure we had everything. He had been the armorer stateside since he couldn't deploy due to trying to get a medical discharge. He carried an A2 in Iraq and loved it, granted he was also 6'6 225lbs so it felt more like a carbine to him. He showed me the few A2s my unit still had and it was an instant love affair.

Immediately went and built my first 20 A2 clone (granted I did put KAC rail on it and ultimately changed it out to an adjustable buttstock). Built.multiple A2 variates over the years, and ultimately only keep one (FN A2 clone with KAC rail that my dad currently uses cause he likes it better than a carbine). Have toyed with recently getting back into the A2 game and after tonight I will be.

Just purchased a well used Colt A2 upper off the EE. Plan is simple, get either a 14.5" pinned or Colt 6920 barrel, paint some 7 hole skinny handguards I have along with a spare N1, and either distress an A2 lower or buy a distressed one from Nodak to make a solid BHD clone to keep this time around.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:56:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Gun parts (Numrich arms) has 14.5" bushmaster barrels with pinned and welded IZZY flash hiders for $129. https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/1503160.htm

Don't mind me, I am just an enabler.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 11:18:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Some people just want to watch the world burn.....

Hopefully a check I'm expecting comes in this week or next
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 4:50:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Gun parts (Numrich arms) has 14.5" bushmaster barrels with pinned and welded IZZY flash hiders for $129. https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/1503160.htm

View Quote

Are those chromed barrels? m4 ramps?
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 9:57:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Chromed and M-4
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 9:59:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Affirmative!
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 12:11:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Those muzzle devices anything special?  Just a long a2 flash hider?  Or is it a noise maker?
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 3:19:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I remember trading in my XM16E1 for a new M16A2 back in 87' at Campbell.  Later that week did a night combat equipment jump and did a PLF right onto the rifle (jumping exposed weapon, no 1950 weapons case) and broke the handguards.  Did a 12 mile ruck to the range that night without handguards and qualified Expert the next morning.  Took about 6 months before supply finally got some A2 handguards in (they only had A1s).  Used a M16A2/M203 effectively during the First Gulf War in Iraq.  Only thing I hate about a M16A2 rifle was that it was too long for subsurface swimming as I kept kicking it as I finned underwater.  I was so glad to get the M4A1 in 95'.  Still love the A2 and building a A2 and a A4 for Service Rifle competition if and when I ever stay home, LOL.  Love shooting irons out to 500, 600, 800 and 1000 yds.

CD
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 3:46:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I remember trading in my XM16E1 for a new M16A2 back in 87' at Campbell.  Later that week did a night combat equipment jump and did a PLF right onto the rifle (jumping exposed weapon, no 1950 weapons case) and broke the handguards.  Did a 12 mile ruck to the range that night without handguards and qualified Expert the next morning.  Took about 6 months before supply finally got some A2 handguards in (they only had A1s).  Used a M16A2/M203 effectively during the First Gulf War in Iraq.  Only thing I hate about a M16A2 rifle was that it was too long for subsurface swimming as I kept kicking it as I finned underwater.  I was so glad to get the M4A1 in 95'.  Still love the A2 and building a A2 and a A4 for Service Rifle competition if and when I ever stay home, LOL.  Love shooting irons out to 500, 600, 800 and 1000 yds.

CD
View Quote

Not that I haven't said it before, but some guys have all the fun.  All kidding aside, thank you so very much for your service and personal sacrifice CD!
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 7:10:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Those muzzle devices anything special?  Just a long a2 flash hider?  Or is it a noise maker?
View Quote

Nothing special, just a different design that is slightly longer than an A2.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 1:50:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Chromed and M-4
View Quote

SGL_Shooter recommended the same barrel for me a while back, for an A1 build. My intentions were to make a GUU-5P clone, so I was going to remove the "izzy" FH and have ADCO pin and weld the appropriate one. I got impatient and decided to make do with the izzy. Here is what the barrel looks like:

Link Posted: 5/8/2016 10:58:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Ended up changing my Block 1.5 build in order to try to make it more correct. Got a Colt 14.5" Socom from Phase 5 for both my updated 1.5 build and my future Block II build. Took the 6920 barrel and BCG from the 1.5 (which was built on a DPMS lower/upper) and put it on this build. Will post pictures later today
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 5:46:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

SGL_Shooter recommended the same barrel for me a while back, for an A1 build. My intentions were to make a GUU-5P clone, so I was going to remove the "izzy" FH and have ADCO pin and weld the appropriate one. I got impatient and decided to make do with the izzy. Here is what the barrel looks like:

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8872/26556339761_b2e89cf84b_k.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Chromed and M-4

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8872/26556339761_b2e89cf84b_k.jpg

niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 10:51:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Is the pin/weld visible on those barrels? Got a close up?
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 11:48:53 AM EDT
[#14]
The pinning/welding is not very noticeable....snapped a couple of pics, top and bottom of FH:

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top