Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2016 6:29:51 PM EDT
Hey ya'll just a quick question about the 727 carbine.

I've got one in the works that's been engraved by braceman with the correct Colt commercial markings, 14.5 pinned barrel, etc. My question is related to the finish of the gun. I know many 7XX series guns can be really loose on how they come built from the factory and was wondering if that also applied to the finish. Were 727s mostly the earlier grey or the current Colt Flat Black? I've seen a 729 burst model in grey for sale before. Fortunately, I have Norrell's in both grey and black colors. The A2 upper I have is a FK forge code, Kaiser Aluminum which is grey and pretty darn close to the Colt Grey.

Any input is greatly appreciated! If you have 727 clones, lets see 'em! Maybe that'll help me decide
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 6:38:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I've found pics of both but it's hard to say what's original and what's not and also whats been color corrected over time etc.

I went with black on my 727 build but that's because that's how the parts came to me.

I would post pics of it up but i've been pimping it everywhere else so i'll refrain this time.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:01:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I went XM Gray with mine. It works well with the upper I have which is Cerro forge marked.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:02:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Go through the thread about making a 1993 Mogadishu clone. Look for the pictures of Delta and Rangers using 723s and 727s. If I recall, they're mostly black.  Here's one of the clearest photos you'll find, which has a mix of 723s and 727s.

After checking it over, the 727s in that photo are noticeably darker than the 723s.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:18:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Damn jrs93, your carbine is making it harder for me to choose, very nice

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:26:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Go through the thread about making a 1993 Mogadishu clone. Look for the pictures of Delta and Rangers using 723s and 727s. If I recall, they're mostly black.  Here's one of the clearest photos you'll find, which has a mix of 723s and 727s.

http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q662/Vaughan06sf/2C453E20-39B9-4416-B2C8-DD00389C860E_zps5ixw5uvi.jpg

After checking it over, the 727s in that photo are noticeably darker than the 723s.
View Quote
Yeah, I noticed the color diferentiation too, thanks for posting that photo hadn't seen it in years. Neat how they attached the flashbangs to the magazines for quick access. My general though at the moment is that I might go with black receivers as I forgot to have braceman A1 reprofile that particular lower when I sent him a few to be engraved. So it could be a "later" 727 with an all "A2" re-enforced  lower vs maybe a grey "early" 727 which would still have an A1 lower? I don't know if 727s came with A2 lowers but its an idea anyway

Thanks to all that have posted thus far
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:34:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Here's my counter argument; Go Black.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 12:19:03 AM EDT
[#7]
There are no 727s in that photograph of Paul Howe [et al], they are various different configurations of R0723.  

"True" black anodizing didn't really show up on Colt rifles until well into the M4 era, 7xx series carbines from the factory would have been one hue or another of gray, ranging from "Preban gray" to "Charcoal gray."  

Also, refurbished/rearsenaled weapons were often coated with a flat black coating, and some are reported to have been sprayed with black engine paint.

For the most part, however, I suspect most photographs where they appear black have more to do with color saturation/contrast/etc.

Referencing that photograph again, if you look at the darker carbines, the black polymer pistol grips and handguards still contrast with the receivers, and there's definite contrast with the black vests/kneepads/other equipment.  

~Augee

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 1:40:14 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd have to vote for gray

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:25:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Thank you all with your comments and excellent clone pics. Still not getting any easier to decide if I want to go factory grey or have it set up as an "arsenal refinish" in black....decisions, decisions Need to find an old school castle nut for my receiver extension. Again, thanks to all!
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:50:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I went for late 727 tending toward XM4 for mine. Still need a gray delta ring to make it "just right".

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:07:30 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I went for late 727 tending toward XM4 for mine. Still need a gray delta ring to make it "just right".

http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt317/Pericles-photo/M4early_zps8f01a6ab.jpg
View Quote
Niiiice! You have the A2 comm. roll mark on that?

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 1:46:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
There are no 727s in that photograph of Paul Howe [et al], they are various different configurations of R0723.  

"True" black anodizing didn't really show up on Colt rifles until well into the M4 era, 7xx series carbines from the factory would have been one hue or another of gray, ranging from "Preban gray" to "Charcoal gray."  

Also, refurbished/rearsenaled weapons were often coated with a flat black coating, and some are reported to have been sprayed with black engine paint.

For the most part, however, I suspect most photographs where they appear black have more to do with color saturation/contrast/etc.

Referencing that photograph again, if you look at the darker carbines, the black polymer pistol grips and handguards still contrast with the receivers, and there's definite contrast with the black vests/kneepads/other equipment.  

~Augee

View Quote

I agree with Augee, the pics might just be shading and such.  I can show that with a pic of mine......

It's really hard to tell how grey mine is in this pic.  Obviously those guys aren't in the shade, but there are a lot of variables.  I'm guessing that wasn't a digital camera and that itself has a huge impact on color and shade.  Even digital cameras it's not always perfect.   The counter is true of the first pic.  It's hard to see how black the furniture is in comparison to the grey in the metal.  

Maybe a better representation of the real colors.  Still not quite the same as in person.....

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 2:21:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for clearing that up, Augee.  The rifles I thought had A2 sights are lacking the A2 features, which definitely points to 723s.  Good to know for future reference.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 3:52:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Many early M4A1 were gray also.  This one was deployed in 2012.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 5:01:03 PM EDT
[#15]

DQuoted:

Thanks for clearing that up, Augee.  The rifles I thought had A2 sights are lacking the A2 features, which definitely points to 723s.  Good to know for future reference.
View Quote
Ditto Augee, always glad to have you chime in

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 12:04:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s275.photobucket.com/user/imdbman65/media/DSCF1149.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/imdbman65/DSCF1149.jpg</a>
View Quote

Thanks for sharing this pic of an gray M4  I need to get another 80% done and have it anodized gray to match a pre-adoption flat-top upper marked with a "4" above the gas tube.  But where the hell am I going to find a set of purple KAC rails
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:48:03 AM EDT
[#17]
I have seen a lot of those purple kac rails. Not for sale though. Good Luck!
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 9:24:18 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Thanks for sharing this pic of an gray M4  I need to get another 80% done and have it anodized gray to match a pre-adoption flat-top upper marked with a "4" above the gas tube.  But where the hell am I going to find a set of purple KAC rails
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

<a href="http://s275.photobucket.com/user/imdbman65/media/DSCF1149.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/imdbman65/DSCF1149.jpg</a>

Believe it or not my wife but me a used puprle KAC rail off of she-bay a few years ago. Was used and completely covered in layers of thick rattle-can paint. Once the tedious task of removing the paint was done it was pretty damn purple underneath I've had plenty of KAC rails since then, never seen a purple one again.

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 9:54:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt317/Pericles-photo/M4early_zps8f01a6ab.jpg

No it is a McKay lower by way of NDS, on my list of stuff to do is have Braceman fix me up with a proper lower. It gas a 4 position extension, Colt upper with ramps, but no 4 or M4 mark, non F marked FSB, but C MP barrel and not the (C) MP barrel. Peel washer behind the suppressor tops it off. This is why I call it a mix. Not 727 and not XM4 either.

And thanks for that pic of the gray M4A1.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:51:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Does anyone have the picture of the XM4 receiver markings?
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 8:12:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Does anyone have the picture of the XM4 receiver markings?
View Quote

Pulled this picture of an XM4 receiver from an archived thread.

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 2:32:06 PM EDT
[#22]
I went with black since that's what the A2 upper I found was.  McKay lower.

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 4:02:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Urgh fine i'll play

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 6:22:56 PM EDT
[#24]

hell yeah, how'd get the finish like that on the magzine

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:41:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Found it at a gun show. Paid $6 for it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:54:54 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sweet score on the mag, just missed the gun show last weekend, too burnt out from work to make the 40-something mile drive to Tampa Just love that "been there" look of your black 727, probably gonna go with the Norrells SOCOM black as I a have significantly less amount of Norrell's greyish-black than I originally thought
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:23:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Sweet score on the mag, just missed the gun show last weekend, too burnt out from work to make the 40-something mile drive to Tampa Just love that "been there" look of your black 727, probably gonna go with the Norrells SOCOM black as I a have significantly less amount of Norrell's greyish-black than I originally thought
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL!!! You had the exact same weekend I did...10 hour round trip to Tampa and back on sat then I did manage to make it to the gun show. I actually picked up two goldies but that one is by far the best.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 9:39:50 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
LOL!!! You had the exact same weekend I did...10 hour round trip to Tampa and back on sat then I did manage to make it to the gun show. I actually picked up two goldies but that one is by far the best.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah wasn't my finest weekend, worked friday night 1845 until noon the next morning. I get home planting face on couch and phone rings, brother-in-law wants to go. Needed to get some bulk ammo but just couldn't make the energy to do it old age be creepin'

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top