Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/30/2016 3:06:15 PM EDT
CD had some really cool pics of his early M4's.....  And there were some other good posts.

I know that a cut carry handle wasn't really indicative of that time, but I just like the lighter weight.   My goal was to have a M4gery for around the time of the year 2000.   Good times for me.  Got married in 98.  Had my boy in 2000 and my daughter in 03.  Was young and full of life.  Now I just feel old.  

Would love an ACOG or aimpoint to go on top.  With a KAC  300.  But it's actually really handy as is.  6lbs 13 ounces unloaded no mag.  It's an HBAR and 1/9 though.

Sorry for you guys who saw my range report in AR Disussions.  I was going to add this to the Early Socom thread, I think it got archived.  

45 or 50 rounds 25 meters seated.  All different kinds of ammo.  WWB 5.56 and .223 55 grain, Black Hills Blue 68's, Wolf and Federal XM193.

I know it's not an A2, but a build indicative of an early M4.  Not really SOCOM without all the extra bits though......

Link Posted: 3/31/2016 9:23:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 10:17:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Basic M4A1 in Jordan Aug 95ish

TA01NSN on a M4A1 Dec 95 in Haiti.

Diving with a basic M4A1

Sorry, don't have any high resolution pics from back then as they are all scanned 35mm prints.

CD
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 10:59:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Just to be clear, M4's and SOPMOD builds are considered A2? (or at least allowed in the A2 section?)  
Not arguing, just curious.  I'm finishing up my Block I, and wasn't sure where to post it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 12:20:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Just my thoughts; the early M4 with A2 upper definately counts and including Mods up to the 1st Gen flat top M4. The BHD thread is one of the largest in this section which was the era just before the modern M4.  CD a d Augee have provided awesome inputs to this subject.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 6:03:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is this the one you're looking for?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_127/666907_Early_SoCom_build.html
View Quote

Thank you!!!!!  Lots of good stuff in there.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 6:05:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Basic M4A1 in Jordan Aug 95ish

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Jordan_95_George_shooing_M4A1_Carbine.jpg

TA01NSN on a M4A1 Dec 95 in Haiti.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Haiti_95_George_and_Theo_on_range_Dec.jpg

Diving with a basic M4A1

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/5th_Divers.jpg

Sorry, don't have any high resolution pics from back then as they are all scanned 35mm prints.

CD
View Quote

Thank you for posting them again!
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 6:09:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just to be clear, M4's and SOPMOD builds are considered A2? (or at least allowed in the A2 section?)  
Not arguing, just curious.  I'm finishing up my Block I, and wasn't sure where to post it.
View Quote

Well, I wouldn't care if yours is in here.  The original thread MIGHT'VE been better off in AR Discussion, but it seemed like that Era was better off in here.  And overall, this is probably the least anal forum.  I've yet to see someone really get on someone for it not being an A2.  We might tell people nicely.  But none of this nazi stuff.  

But FWIW, there is a Block 1 m4 thread in AR Discussions.  Post it BOTH!!!!  I think the original thread did a good job of discussing real early flat top M4's, in the hands of SF guys.  I think.

Mines not very SOCOM ish, unless I had some of the extra goodies that they had.  Which I don't.  And don't know if I ever will.   I do want a light though and I may try to go with a period set up for it.  Hang it off the barrel.......
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 7:52:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Here is my basic M4 clone.

I like the classic look M4. Do not get me wrong, I have others with all the bells and whistles, but I am still fond of the simple M4  configuration.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 12:08:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Lookin good!!!
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:59:22 AM EDT
[#10]
btt for ananeas.  Or however you spell that.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:18:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks man I'll drop my contributions in here later
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:03:10 AM EDT
[#12]
I went with the earlier style stock on my basic M4

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:23:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Well at least his is genuine Colt.  Now that I can tell the difference between a commercial one and a Colt, the commercial ones bug me.  And I have two of them.  LOL.  I don't have a real Colt M4 stock.  And now I want one.  I think I prefer the M4 style when shouldering.  And most of the time I like the looks of a CAR better.  But really, on these M4's with the carry handle, the M4 stock looks the best.  IMHO.  

Except it's starting to get into maybe not so early SOCOM by 2003........

I know, dirty desk

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 5:00:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In that thread it almost sounded like CD was offering that surefire mount for sale or something.  I wasn't quite sure, but you may want to ask him if he wants to sell it.  Or whatever.  I keep thinking if I want to ask him or not, but I'm super cheap and I'm not quite sure how I want to mount a light yet.  Or if I even do at all.   I've got a metal bodied G2 which probably fit right in to that theme...  But I use it as my nightstand light for my handgun.   I need another.  I want a TLR......
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:11:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:13:13 PM EDT
[#16]
oops, already posted.  Sorry!!!

Probably not very "early" or "SOCOM" but maybe a little......

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:15:18 PM EDT
[#17]
snip sorry wrong place
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 9:31:32 AM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

It's kind of hard for me to tell due to the pic quality, but does that ACOG have the BUIS on top?
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 12:09:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It's kind of hard for me to tell due to the pic quality, but does that ACOG have the BUIS on top?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes, the TA01NSN had a BUIS on the rear and front of the scope.  Never had a issued TA01NSN that didn't.

CD
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 3:15:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yes, the TA01NSN had a BUIS on the rear and front of the scope.  Never had a issued TA01NSN that didn't.

CD
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CD

Awesome. Thank you for the info as well as sharing your photos.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 5:13:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:27:15 PM EDT
[#22]
btt
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 5:59:19 PM EDT
[#23]
I keep coming back to this upper.  And the CAR stock.  I like it better with a CCH, but for pictures sake.

Link Posted: 7/1/2016 9:55:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

CD
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CD

Do you remember if the gray M4A1 you had included the T marks on the gray upper - thanks.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 10:11:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Do you remember if the gray M4A1 you had included the T marks on the gray upper - thanks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CD

IIRC they did not.

CD
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 10:44:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CD

I was issued a gray M4A1 in the middle 90s and it had T marks.  First flat top I had every seen.  The knobs on the carrying handle took a little getting use to, they got caught up on your LBE.  

Regards, Joe
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 12:56:13 PM EDT
[#27]
I really don't like a detahable Carry handle.  Those knobs are bulky and sometimes when I carry my gun, if I'm carrying it one handed with my right hand, I like my thumb to go through the carry handle.  And that cap is too small.  It just makes it feel all awkard to me.  When it's an integral A1 or A2 carry handle, it's all good.  That opening is bigger and no big ole knobs.  

I know, such big problems.....  LOL.   I'm sure if I had to I'd get used to one, but I'd rather not.  Part of me wants to put my M4gery barrel on an A1 upper.   I really don't think I'd miss the flat top.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 10:12:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I was issued a gray M4A1 in the middle 90s and it had T marks.  First flat top I had every seen.  The knobs on the carrying handle took a little getting use to, they got caught up on your LBE.  

Regards, Joe
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CD

Regards, Joe

Thanks for the info - I just had to know .....
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 5:08:45 PM EDT
[#29]
It's getting there.  Sort of early socom ish.  I'm shooting for a 1998-2000 ish year.  I got married in 98 and son was born in 2000.    Good times.  

I first had the Aimpoint on my recce, because I didn't think I'd like the FSB in the way.  But this just balances better.  I could use a real QRP mount, and not the on that comes with the PRO (which is what it is).  Although the ARMS works.  I do have a tenancy to be looking high in the optic, over the Front sight post.  But that's OK.  

I guess I need to bust out my M9 and take some nice pics......

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top