Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2015 2:07:31 PM EDT
I am thinking that I want to use a traditional scope over some electric dot type.  Its going to be a 20 inch A2 clone.  Have been using irons and non magnified dots of various types; unsatusfied with the dots, still cant see anything..

Kinda want to maintain the A2 theme...

Eye doc wants me to pick out a scope and bring in the rifle for my next exam. to get measurements for my next set of lenses.

suggestions, pics, experiences....

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 2:54:48 PM EDT
[#1]
The question of the day is "do you want a scope you can use the standard stock height, or are you going to use a cheek riser?"

IF you want to keep the stock stock, then a carry handle scope offers the lowest amount of height, so a colt type carry handle scope / clone or
and older ACOG  TA01 or TA11

IF you are going to be using a cheek riser, then you are almost limitless on the choices.
Would suggest a varialbe on an ARMS #2 or similar.  

Would need to know budget, and which way, the low road or the high road ;)

(just to keep you motivated :)
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 4:05:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I would recommend going with the flat-top upper receiver rather that the A2 upper receiver. You will be much better off and can choose from a variety of scopes and mounts. It will be more of an A4 look than that of the A2, but it will serve you better in my opinion. As was mentioned above, if you want to stay with the A2 upper, you really need to use a cheek riser to use it effectively with a scope mounted on the carrying handle. Using a flat-top upper and a mount made for the AR-15 application or a set of rings, will allow you to have the proper cheekweld without the use of a riser. Then, there is the question of the scope. What is going to be the intended purpose for this AR? What distances? What is your budget? You can go with something as simple as a 1-4x24 scope, a 3-9x40, or one with even more magnification.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 7:29:02 PM EDT
[#3]
The scope needs to see man size targets out to 500m.  I used to be able to hit soda bottles at 100m with national match irons 20 years ago with no problem, but now I can't even see that far...

The purpose of this scope is to make me as effective a shooter as i was in my youth...  by being able to see the dang target.

The scope must maintain zero as much as possible.

I am O.K. with flipping over to an A4 or using a riser.  Either way, it needs to be able to be slung and dragged through the woods, swamp...
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 9:01:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The scope needs to see man size targets out to 500m.  I used to be able to hit soda bottles at 100m with national match irons 20 years ago with no problem, but now I can't even see that far...

The purpose of this scope is to make me as effective a shooter as i was in my youth...  by being able to see the dang target.

I am O.K. with flipping over to an A4 or using a riser.  Either way, it needs to be able to be slung and dragged through the woods, swamp...
View Quote

Here is a model from Rock River Arms. Here are a couple scopes you may consider.

http://www.primaryarms.com/vortex-crossfire-ii-4-16x50-adjustable-objective-dead-hold-bdc-reticle-30mm-tube/p/kt-cf2-31039/

http://www.primaryarms.com/vortex-viper-pst-4-16x50-ffp-ebr-1-moa-reticle-free-shipping/p/kt-pst-416f1-a/

There are plenty more to look at on their website.

As far as a mount goes, here are some ideas.

http://www.primaryarms.com/ad-recon-x-30/p/ad-recon-x-30/

http://www.primaryarms.com/ad-scout-x-30/p/ad-scout-x-30/

Link Posted: 12/20/2015 7:10:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here is a model from Rock River Arms. Here are a couple scopes you may consider.

http://www.primaryarms.com/vortex-crossfire-ii-4-16x50-adjustable-objective-dead-hold-bdc-reticle-30mm-tube/p/kt-cf2-31039/

http://www.primaryarms.com/vortex-viper-pst-4-16x50-ffp-ebr-1-moa-reticle-free-shipping/p/kt-pst-416f1-a/

There are plenty more to look at on their website.

As far as a mount goes, here are some ideas.

http://www.primaryarms.com/ad-recon-x-30/p/ad-recon-x-30/

http://www.primaryarms.com/ad-scout-x-30/p/ad-scout-x-30/

Thank You!
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 12:18:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I have an ARMS #2 carry handle mount with  ARMS #21 30mm scope rings and a Burris XRT II 1-5x24 scope with CQ Mil reticle.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 11:41:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I feel your pain.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 2:00:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I am there myself
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 6:10:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I am thinking that I want to use a traditional scope over some electric dot type.  Its going to be a 20 inch A2 clone.  Have been using irons and non magnified dots of various types; unsatusfied with the dots,
View Quote

I like the old-school Leatherwood extended mount - I'm pretty sure they're still available.  You can actually get proper eye relief with one using a conventional hunting scope, unlike with most short rail mounts.  You'll want a cheek riser too, as previously mentioned.  Launcher optional.  

Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:37:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Going thru the same chit too...the last gunshow I was at there was an early Colt 3x20 scope and while maybe not the best scope in the world I like how it fits in the carrying handle and allows me to use my iron sights still (if/when I can see em)...3x isn't a lot of magnification but it's enough.  I do wish it was the later style scope with the duplex reticle (it has the thin crosshair reticle) but still better than open sights with my eyes.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 10:02:40 PM EDT
[#11]
It nice your ophthalmologist wants you to bring your rifle in when your getting glasses fitted. My eyes are degrading as well. Red dots have a halo effect from my astigmatism. I'm going back to crosshairs as well. I did pretty good with a Leupold 3-10X VX3  couple weeks ago at 100yds with a sub MOA 5 shot group. I think the good glass made a difference.

If your going out to 500m you'll probably want higher magnification. Might go 4.5-14x.

Link Posted: 1/27/2016 3:15:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a couple of the ARMS M16 A1A2 ( NSN 5855012997777) bases in a parts box at work. They are practically new but have a small rub where Weaver rings were tried. These are not Picatinny, but old-school Weaver base. How retro do you want to go?

LMK if anyone is interested.

S/F

Al
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 2:14:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I just got done with the eye doctor last week and he said my distance vision is getting better.  And my Dad who is like 70, said the same happened with him.  Another gal at church told me her Dad's got so good he stopped wearing his glasses.  

I only say this to take heart.  Maybe there is hope.  It might be one of the only instances where I hear things get better with the older people got.  But I know how you feel.  The carbine sight radius has become so hard to use for me, it's depressing.......  Maybe that will change.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 6:06:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I have my scope mounted on the carry handle. I'm right handed but shoot with my left eye.
 For me this works out really good having the scope so high.

But the thing is with a scope mounted up this high if you have it zeroed at 100 yards it will be way off
at 50 yards,---A lot more than a scope mounted closer the barrel

This is my Colt/Warther .22LR  I have the same set up on my  5.56

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 5:26:02 PM EDT
[#15]
The cheek riser set-up has worked well for me in the past on the carry handle scope mounts, that said, most sources of the A-2 stock risers seem to have dried up, they are scarce as hen's teeth, so you will have to watch for them to come up for sale, once in a blue moon.

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top