Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2015 8:16:57 PM EDT

Got this finished up last week. It's a knock around truck gun/home defense carbine that is no frills. Haven't had an A2 for a while and the second I had this one together I realized why I liked them so much.  She's a heavy girl though.

Lots of stuff I had lying around in this rifle. Only parts I bought for this were the M5 RAS, Daniel Defense sling mount, and the Anderson Lower. Barrel is a CMMG 1/8 SS 16", nothing sprecial.
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 8:23:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice.
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 9:04:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice.
View Quote

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 9:52:02 PM EDT
[#3]
If my memory serves me right, when my A4 clone had that M5 RAS it weighed in right at or just below ten pounds.

I don't think 8lbs for that is bad.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 12:25:28 AM EDT
[#4]
What profile barrel is it?  

It looks great.  But yeah, a bit heavy for my tastes.  Or for my skinny A#$, I should say.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 8:29:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It looks great.  But yeah, a bit heavy for my tastes.  Or for my skinny A#$, I should say.  
View Quote

It's basically an HBAR. I'm thinking of having it turned down under the handguard to see if I can drop a pound off of it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 1:44:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Midlength gas?

Have you weighed it with plastic handguards?

Looks really good
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 3:53:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It's basically an HBAR. I'm thinking of having it turned down under the handguard to see if I can drop a pound off of it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would think the balance would be so much better if you did.......    It is pretty sweet though.  I don't usually like dissy's with an adjustable stock. But that is passable.  Must be the sopmod.....
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 7:35:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I would think the balance would be so much better if you did.......    It is pretty sweet though.  I don't usually like dissy's with an adjustable stock. But that is passable.  Must be the sopmod.....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, SOPMOD. An old LMT I had laying around. It's that or fixed MOE or A1 for my rifles usually. Short stuff is hard for me to get comfortable with.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 7:37:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Midlength gas?

Have you weighed it with plastic handguards?

Looks really good
View Quote

Yeah, mid length. I have a nice set of Colt fiberglass round handguards stuck back in case I change my mind about the rail. Just got such a good deal on the rail I couldn't help but build a dissipator for it to go on.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 11:54:40 AM EDT
[#10]
What light mount?
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 8:45:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What light mount?
View Quote

It is one of the two piece railed clamp style mounts that through-bolt to the FSB. This rifle was a mix of old cast off parts I had so that mount made it onto the rifle. I aleays have a white light on my rifles.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 7:07:03 PM EDT
[#12]
looks clean, the stock and the handguards compliment each other as modern add ons.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 2:47:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Love A2 dissys. Tried a sopmod and a UBR on mine but went back to a A1. just looks and feels right.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 10:51:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Between your post and 4 days busting through some thick woods and some really steep climbs in vt Im planning a 6.8 dissy. It will probably be a flat top though for an optic
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 9:14:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Beautiful rifle always wanted to build an A2 dissy
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 10:07:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Beautiful rifle always wanted to build an A2 dissy
View Quote

Do it. This is my third. I will keep this one though.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 10:47:09 PM EDT
[#17]
It's cool but why the quad rail if you are going to cover it in panels? You didn't even use it to mount your light
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 11:06:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It's cool but why the quad rail if you are going to cover it in panels? You didn't even use it to mount your light
View Quote

Because it is thick, it was only $75, and because I have things I can mount to it, but aren't mounted currently. And because I just like M5 RAS rails.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 11:40:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Nice looking gun.  Always loved the Dissy's when Bushmaster was selling them.  I had a CMMG rifle with that same barrel and it was a tack driver.  It will serve you well.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 2:10:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Is the FSB pinned on or set screws?  If it is set screws, who makes them?
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 2:36:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

White Oak has them,
https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17641&cat=287&page=1

Armalite makes a clamp on type.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 10:11:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

What I typically do with one of these is use the existing hole in the bottom of the FSB and tap it to 10/32 for a set screw, then after sighting it in I drill and taper pin the FSB in place. This one is awaiting pins currently.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top