Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2015 3:35:32 PM EDT
Working on a basic A2 build and cant seem to make my mind up on a Barrel setup. This will mainly be used to target shoot 150 yards in and to keep with my 3 day bug out bag in the truck. I already have a A2 20" build so I'm leaning more towards a 16" barrel setup. Basically just looking for a barrel thats reliable but also versatile with different yardages and ammo weights. Would like to try to keep the complete barrel assembly under the $300 range. (would it be cheaper to get a complete barrel assembly or just get the barrel and piece the kit myself?)

Parts list so far:
Bushmaster XM15 A2 upper receiver and BCG- Spare parts I had laying around
Del-ton upper receiver parts kit- $15
PSA complete Blem Lower- $130  

Windham and Faxon are usually my go to for Barrels but I'm open to any different suggestions. I just cant seem to make my mind up on which barrel profile, twist, mid vs carbine length, etc I wanna run with it. As far as handgaurds, debating on using some magpul moe or just use my stock bushmaster if i go the carbine route. Any input is much appreciated, Thanks!

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:32:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Brownells has  complete Colt 16" carbine barrels with everything but handguards or gastube: $293 for the M4 style and $250 for the LW style. Only problem with these is they have an F marked FSB and you'd have to go with a taller sight post to get them to zero properly with your A2 receiver. A lot of guys are saying good things about the Windham barrels which I believe has a standard FSB. Green mountain also has some good barrels for a good price.

For a good all around twist rate it think it's hard to beat 1/7.  I wouldn't be afraid to use a 1/9 barrel but just keep in mind that it might not like the heavier bullets. As for twist rate I can only recommend to stay away from a heavy barrel, I had a 16" carbine with an HB and it was a heavy gun for its size.  As for gas system I've had a few carbine guns and I just think they are harsh(compared to my rifles)and wouldn't mind trying a mid length.

I think it would be cheaper to buy a complete barrel assembly than try to piece one together. If you buy a blank barrel you'll either have to send it off to get the FSB notches drilled or use a clamp on FSB, either way will add to the price.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:41:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Gunner, that helps me narrow down my options. The mid length with 1/7 twist sounds like a great combo.

Are PSA's premium barrels gtg?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/10141/category/4459/

PSA $139.99 barrel + $82 rest of barrel assembly parts = $222 total
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:16:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes PSA premium barrels are good to go.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 10:29:49 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks Gunner, that helps me narrow down my options. The mid length with 1/7 twist sounds like a great combo.

Are PSA's premium barrels gtg?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/10141/category/4459/

PSA $139.99 barrel + $82 rest of barrel assembly parts = $222 total
View Quote

Manufactured by FN; I don't think you'll have any problems.

Link Posted: 9/5/2015 7:25:51 PM EDT
[#5]
You planning on pinning the FSB yourself?  If not, thats another $40 bucks to have it pinned.  Member Hochmin has new Spikes Tactical CHF mid-length gas 16" barrels with the FSB already pinned for $200 bucks shipped IIRC.

ETA:  Found the link to member Hochimin for sale thread on EE

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_159/1426949_wts_spikes_barrels.html
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 7:48:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks Pro2nd

Are Hochmin's Spike barrels in EE? If I cant find a FSB already pinned it wont be a big deal. I can build a fixture and use a over head drill press at work.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 9:43:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Anybody ever used these A2 front sight clamp on w/ screws before?

http://www.riflegear.com/p-927-armalite-a2-front-sight-clamp-on-w-screws.aspx
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 12:33:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I just built two M4 uppers using DSArms 14.5" barrels and in the process of building a 727 clone with the same barrel. These have the non-F marked front sight base so they are perfect for an A2 upper. When I ordered them for the M4 builds, I thought it had been posted here that they were F-marked/height but they aren't, so I just used the taller front sight pins for the M4 builds. Description says handguard cap/barrel nut included but all of mine have had the delta ring assembly included and mounted too. These are chrome lined, 1:7 twist, have the front sight base mounted and at $135, are a hell of a bargain. They sell a 16" chrome lined barrel also for $145. The last one I ordered took a while for them to ship it out but I got it in the mail last week. I pinned and welded extended A2 hiders on the two 4 builds(one for a friend) but I'm thinking of going with a standard A2 hider and spacer I cut off the end of another A2 on the 727 build.

ARKAR
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top