Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2015 2:01:24 PM EDT
I have a lower receiver that used to be an SBR, but the upper has been sold, so I just have a lower receiver (still registered as an SBR...) that is just sitting in my safe.  I've wanted to use an A2 upper receiver for an SBR for a long time, so that's what I'm currently working on.

The only part I have bought so far is a stripped A2 upper receiver.  It does have the rear sight installed and the drum goes to an 8/3 setting.  Since I have to scrounge a little money here and there to finish, I have some time to figure things out.  I already have a BCG and a charging handle, so really, all that's left is a barrel.

Questions

1. I would like to use an 11.5" barrel.  I'm not opposed to 10.3"/10.5" barrels, though.  This is a general purpose rifle, so I'm not concerned with SS or anything like that.  I just want a quality barrel.  Does anyone make an 11.5" barrel with the FSB already installed?

2.  Do I need an F-marked FSB or a non-F-marked FSB?  I have pretty much always dealt with LPGBs and am not very sure in this arena.

3.  I have a clam-shell for installing barrels onto A3/A4 upper receivers.  What's the best way to mount a barrel onto an A2 receiver?  Would it be best to just get all the parts together (barrel, receiver, sight base...) and send it to somewhere like ADCO?

That's all I have for now.  Of course, if anyone has pictures of A2 SBRs, that would be nice, too.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 7:40:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have a lower receiver that used to be an SBR, but the upper has been sold, so I just have a lower receiver (still registered as an SBR...) that is just sitting in my safe.  I've wanted to use an A2 upper receiver for an SBR for a long time, so that's what I'm currently working on.

The only part I have bought so far is a stripped A2 upper receiver.  It does have the rear sight installed and the drum goes to an 8/3 setting.  Since I have to scrounge a little money here and there to finish, I have some time to figure things out.  I already have a BCG and a charging handle, so really, all that's left is a barrel.

Questions
1. I would like to use an 11.5" barrel.  I'm not opposed to 10.3"/10.5" barrels, though.  This is a general purpose rifle, so I'm not concerned with SS or anything like that.  I just want a quality barrel.  Does anyone make an 11.5" barrel with the FSB already installed?

2.  Do I need an F-marked FSB or a non-F-marked FSB?  I have pretty much always dealt with LPGBs and am not very sure in this arena.

3.  I have a clam-shell for installing barrels onto A3/A4 upper receivers.  What's the best way to mount a barrel onto an A2 receiver?  Would it be best to just get all the parts together (barrel, receiver, sight base...) and send it to somewhere like ADCO?

That's all I have for now.  Of course, if anyone has pictures of A2 SBRs, that would be nice, too.
View Quote

Here is one.

Del-Ton 11.5"

And another.

Noveske 10.5"

And a few more.

Model 1 Sales 10.25" and 11.5"

Daniel Defense 10.3"

Daniel Defense 11.5"

Link Posted: 6/24/2015 7:48:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Here are pics of Member TZ250's A2 SBR that he built  Not sure which barrel he used, but it looks like a 10.5".  As for FSB, plenty of us have used F-marked ones and had no problems sighting in.

Link Posted: 6/24/2015 8:49:24 PM EDT
[#3]
jrs93accord - Thank you!  I had found the Model 1 Sales barrel, but had no luck beyond that.  The A2 upper was the first AR part I have bought in a year or more.  I was bitten by the AK bug at a bad time since AK stuff is still not that cheap and AR stuff is REALLY cheap!

Pro2ndAm - That looks awesome!  Thanks for the information about the F-marked FSB.  I'll just go with that.

I really wish my AR SBR'd lower was a "normal" lower now and not billet with an integrated trigger guard, but oh well.  It's not worth the expense to do another just because of that look.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 1:18:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here are pics of Member TZ250's A2 SBR that he built  Not sure which barrel he used, but it looks like a 10.5".  As for FSB, plenty of us have used F-marked ones and had no problems sighting in.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7786/17754562436_8a307f0ca4_b.jpg
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5331/17780857675_15089f08c6_b.jpg
View Quote

Yep, that's my baby. The barrel is a 10.5 Aero Precision/Ballistic Advantage with the FSB. It has turned out to be a great gun.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top