Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/29/2015 3:21:21 PM EDT
were there ever any a2 barrels in the military without bayo lugs?
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 5:27:16 PM EDT
[#1]
No - an A2 can accept a bayonet.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 12:07:50 AM EDT
[#2]
All USGI A2's had bayonet lugs. There were some commercial Colt sporters that came without them.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 1:28:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All USGI A2's had bayonet lugs. There were some commercial Colt sporters that came without them.
View Quote

Yeah, I have one. I bought it in '93 and never noticed the lug was missing until muuuch later.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 7:09:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I think he was talking more about Carbine models with shorter barrels that had no bayonet lugs. Kinda like how the XM177E1, E2, 605, and 607 didn't have bayonet lugs. AFAIK they all did, even the 733 Commando. Which in my Opinion would look better without the bayonet lug, even on my dissipator builds I shave the bayonet lugs off.... It makes for a much cleaner look....
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 9:14:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm pretty sure there was such a barrel in the Clinton era ban and I think some match barrels don't have them.

Couch-Commando has one I think.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 3:02:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I think he was talking more about Carbine models with shorter barrels that had no bayonet lugs. Kinda like how the XM177E1, E2, 605, and 607 didn't have bayonet lugs. AFAIK they all did, even the 733 Commando. Which in my Opinion would look better without the bayonet lug, even on my dissipator builds I shave the bayonet lugs off.... It makes for a much cleaner look....
View Quote

RO733s used barrels both with bayonet lugs, and with the bayonet lug shaved off.  

That being said, from what I have seen, at least - the shaved bayonet lug is more common.

As for military use - the RO733 was a commercial/export model, and thus would have been purchased by the military for special purposes "COTS" or "commercial, off-the-shelf," i.e. in the form that it was currently available commercially, without modifications or inputs or military specific specifications, thus the rules that would apply to the full range of commercial/export production could equally apply to those purchased COTS by the military.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 3:31:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

RO733s used barrels both with bayonet lugs, and with the bayonet lug shaved off.  

http://www.autoweapons.com/photosv/m16a2postb.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b311/qwejibo/Colt723_733.jpg

That being said, from what I have seen, at least - the shaved bayonet lug is more common.

As for military use - the RO733 was a commercial/export model, and thus would have been purchased by the military for special purposes "COTS" or "commercial, off-the-shelf," i.e. in the form that it was currently available commercially, without modifications or inputs or military specific specifications, thus the rules that would apply to the full range of commercial/export production could equally apply to those purchased COTS by the military.  

~Augee
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.autoweapons.com/photosv/m16a2postb.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b311/qwejibo/Colt723_733.jpg

~Augee

Great info as always.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top