Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2015 11:55:48 AM EDT
With prices and availability on a lot of quality parts coming back to reality, I've been bit by the bug to do an A2 build.

I want to use the 20" govt. profile barrel kit from Windham Weaponry, but all their 20" barrels come with M4-cut barrel extensions.

I know that you can put an M4-type extension in a rifle-type upper, but I figure if the feed ramps are on the extension, why not just get an upper that matches it?

Do they exist?  Do any reputable manufacturers make A2 uppers with M4 feed ramps?

ETA:

If anyone does make them, can they be had for less than $200?
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 12:23:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, they're made. The Colt 6520 uses an A2 upper receiver with M4 feed ramps.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 12:34:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, they're made. The Colt 6520 uses an A2 upper receiver with M4 feed ramps.
View Quote

Can they be readily found for sale as a stripped upper?
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 12:42:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I can confirm that the DPMS A2 stripped upper does not have m4 feedramps. I'm mainly here to pass on that CDNN is selling them for $50. Shipping is a flat rate $10. I just got one, it looks great and arrived 2 days after I ordered.

CDNN
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 2:08:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I can confirm that the DPMS A2 stripped upper does not have m4 feedramps. I'm mainly here to pass on that CDNN is selling them for $50. Shipping is a flat rate $10. I just got one, it looks great and arrived 2 days after I ordered.

CDNN
View Quote

Wow, thanks for the heads up.

Still would like to see if anyone has a line on M4-type A2 uppers.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 7:31:40 PM EDT
[#5]
American Spirit Arms, I've got one, works great.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 11:56:52 PM EDT
[#6]
It actually doesn't matter if the reciever doesn't have ramps.

I don't think any civillian semi auto Ar needs it.

The M4 ramps were specifically for the M4 on full auto iirc.

The only potential issue would be if the reciever were an M4 but the bbl is rifle extension.
That said, I did that on an upper and it ran just fine for years.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 9:10:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It actually doesn't matter if the reciever doesn't have ramps.

I don't think any civillian semi auto Ar needs it.

The M4 ramps were specifically for the M4 on full auto iirc.

The only potential issue would be if the reciever were an M4 but the bbl is rifle extension.
That said, I did that on an upper and it ran just fine for years.
View Quote

I know the whole story on the development of M4 feed ramps, I know they aren't absolutely necessary.

I just figured if I'm going to buy a barrel with a M4 extension, I might as well at least keep an eye out for an upper with matching feed ramps.

If I can't find one, it's not a big deal.  I'm just getting a feel for what's out there.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 10:59:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Check the EE for a Colt carbine being parted out.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 3:02:11 PM EDT
[#9]
As stated sbove, American Spirit Arms has A2 uppers w/M4 ramps.  I've got a couple and they seem well made.  They were out of stock for a while but as of today they seem to have them in stock.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 3:07:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Cool, thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 8:52:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

CDNN
View Quote

Hey, BCO175, thanks for that, m4 ramp or not, that is one sweet deal, just grabbed one, and it was with the greatest amount of self restraint that I did not buy multiples to stash for as yet unrealized builds! Thanks for the heads up!
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 10:44:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Op buy a Dremel.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 4:28:32 AM EDT
[#13]
I have 2 cerro forge A2 uppers both with feed ramps, one came off a factory Bushmaster M4A2 and the other was purchased at M@A.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 8:56:20 AM EDT
[#14]
The Colt 6520 upper has m4 feed ramps and an A2 receiver. I have one. Each one I've ever seen in person or in pictures has feed ramp extensions cut into the receiver after the anodizing was done.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 5:14:15 PM EDT
[#15]
It'll still work fine, if the upper receiver doesn't have them.  So I'm told.  It's the other way that could cause problems.  M4 cuts in the upper but not the barrel extension.  It would have a huge hang up point for the bullets to ram into.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 1:45:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Nevermind
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:10:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 12:17:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Guys, I know you don't NEED them in the upper for it to preform correctly.

But since I currently don't have one, I figured why not try to find one that has feedramps to match the barrel--that's all.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top