Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2015 12:27:49 AM EDT
Hello i am currently looking to build an A2 i want it to be quality but on a budget at least under $500 may be $600 where do i begin need some parts recommendations links would be helpful so i can save them in my bookmarks looking for new or surplus new parts like this  thanks.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:23:08 AM EDT
[#1]
That's a tight budget.  You're going to spend a lot of time in the EE.

This page may be of help in you staying w/in your budget, albeit it may not be exactly what you're looking for:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/603477_THE_IN_STOCK_LOWER_RECEIVER_THREAD_Part_2.html&page=371

No matter how cheap it may seem, do not buy anything from Hesse, Vulcan, or Blackthorne.

ETA:  I am now affiliated w/ Trinity Ordnance.  I do their computer work.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:00:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I second the motion,  Avoid Hesse, Vulcan and Blackthorn!
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:54:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Id suggest a kit from J&T, DelTon, Model 1, or PSA for a basic kit just to get started. Just add your own lower.  (I like the PSA blem lowers). Most let you upgrade some aspects.  All seem fine for a basic model.  YMMV.

Example:

By the way, the A2 uppers are harder to find, and often a cost-upgrade to the more common flat tops.  Consider an a3 flat top upper with a carry handle mounted.  I have one A2, and it is my most used rifle.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 6:36:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I searched the EE for a complete lower (Complete lower, A2 Stock, grip). Afterwards, I went to Windham Weaponary to complete my upper barrel assembly and Gunbroker to find the upper and BCG. Total in $650

All in the last 3 weeks.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 4:31:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Just keep watching the EE, you can occassionally get lucky and pick up a nice A2 upper for a deal.  Last 4 I bought (2 FNs and 2 bushmaster) I paid less than $100 for apiece.  Get an Anderson Manufacturing lower (or whatever lower you can find for cheap) and then just shop around.  I've built 1 20" A2 clone for less than $500 (FN barrel as well, new PSA Premium bcg), and the other 3 are 16" carbines that I'll have less than $500 in apiece as well.  Though I'm trying to downsize some as of late, mainly cause fiance found out about builds
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 11:37:57 AM EDT
[#6]

If I were to want to build an A2 or A3 rifle, I'd probably just get a PSA A3 20" CHF Upper Half, and then use an Anderson or PSA Lower.

Those Cold Hammer Forged Barrels, that I have are capably of some very amazing accuracy as long as I do my part.

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 8:38:18 AM EDT
[#7]
I just purchased all the stuff for an A2 carbine build. The total cost was 525. It is all mil spec quality parts. Really good quality parts. IM and I can show you the ways. It took a lot of research and I have a lot of hook ups. Plus, the military discounts help as well. Ebay is actually a good source for LPK, Stock kits and some other odds and ends.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 1:18:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Id suggest a kit from J&T, DelTon, Model 1, or PSA for a basic kit just to get started. Just add your own lower.  (I like the PSA blem lowers). Most let you upgrade some aspects.  All seem fine for a basic model.  YMMV.  

Example:
http://www.model1sales.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=185

By the way, the A2 uppers are harder to find, and often a cost-upgrade to the more common flat tops.  Consider an a3 flat top upper with a carry handle mounted.  I have one A2, and it is my most used rifle.
View Quote

+2 on this way. imho.  That was it's all new and no worries.  Lowers are cheap as chips these days unless you want a niche one (NDS) but they aren't A2's anyway.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 6:27:54 PM EDT
[#9]
If you want a quality A2 uppers I would suggest a WOA or a Rock River DCM upper. The Rock River you can get a little cheaper than what is listed on their website if you talk with a vendor in the EE

Just the upper is over your budget but the extra will be worth it. 1/4 MOA sights and SS 1-8 barrel, and the barrel is free floated.

WOA
Rock River
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top