Quoted:

M4 stock didnt come till around 02..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If your going to use a A2 upper then you want a pre 94/95' dated gun.  SOCOM adopted the M4A1 in 94' and I got my flat top M4A1 in Feb 95' after trading in our M16A2s (seem to recall only 2 ea older XM177s in the Bn arms room).  We had the M68 CCO, TA01NSN ACOG, Trijicon Reflex sight (which most didn't use).  Never saw a 737 in 5th SFGA at that time, saw my first one's in Baghdad in 03' from augumentees from SWTG.  Some of the weapons that we used in Robin Sage Unconvential FTX (06-07') used a mixer of 727s/M4A1s out of SWTG arms room.

M4A1 in Jordan in Aug 95'

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Jordan_95_George_shooing_M4A1_Carbine.jpg

Here I am shooting a TA01NSN equipped M4A1 in Haiti Dec 95'

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Haiti_95_M4s.jpg

CD

Hey CD, do you remember if that was a CAR type stock or the newer M4 on those?

Seriously?  Huh....  didn't know that.

I wonder what a decent CAR stock to get is.  I see the one on M&A, thank you whoever said that.  And there is a UTG on Amazon.  I'm thinking the UTG is probably not all that great.  Or the one on M&A is also UTG but 20 more......   Maybe I should look in the EE.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 2:33:54 AM EDT
[#2]
And CD, maybe if I could be so bold as to pick your brain again.  I see that you said you had M68's and TA01NSN's....  

Can you remember what kind of mounts the M68's used?  I'm assuming the ACOG's just used a mount with two thumb screws like on a carry handle, like the ones you see all the time.  Eh?  

Also, did you ever paint your front sight to help with focusing when using irons?  And what BUIS did they use if using an Aimpoint?
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 7:19:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
And CD, maybe if I could be so bold as to pick your brain again.  I see that you said you had M68's and TA01NSN's....  

Can you remember what kind of mounts the M68's used?  I'm assuming the ACOG's just used a mount with two thumb screws like on a carry handle, like the ones you see all the time.  Eh?  

Also, did you ever paint your front sight to help with focusing when using irons?  And what BUIS did they use if using an Aimpoint?
View Quote

Under Block I we were issued the TA01NSN ACOGs with the thumb screw mounts.  Always been that way since 95'.  We were issued the Trijicon Reflex sight but I never like it as I could never really see the orange triangle in the center in bright daylight.  We used Aimpoints (pre M68s) when I went thru SFARTEAC in 97' and we came back the company started getting M68 Aimpoints with the Aimpoint QRP Comp mount.  I still have a few of these mounts.  

Only painting I did on my gun at the time was to mark the knobs and carrying handle for indexing/torque.  Also marked my zero on the carrying handle on the windage and elevation knobs which is something I picked up from AMU when shooting long range with irons.  First BUIS we had as the KAC 300m.  Used that until 04' when we got some ARMS #40L which I still prefer however, now working with the KAC 600m BUIS few months ago as I've got 30 of those things in here.  Haven't done any long range work with it yet.

CD
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 7:35:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I wonder what a decent CAR stock to get is.  I see the one on M&A, thank you whoever said that.  And there is a UTG on Amazon.  I'm thinking the UTG is probably not all that great.  Or the one on M&A is also UTG but 20 more......   Maybe I should look in the EE.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If your going to use a A2 upper then you want a pre 94/95' dated gun.  SOCOM adopted the M4A1 in 94' and I got my flat top M4A1 in Feb 95' after trading in our M16A2s (seem to recall only 2 ea older XM177s in the Bn arms room).  We had the M68 CCO, TA01NSN ACOG, Trijicon Reflex sight (which most didn't use).  Never saw a 737 in 5th SFGA at that time, saw my first one's in Baghdad in 03' from augumentees from SWTG.  Some of the weapons that we used in Robin Sage Unconvential FTX (06-07') used a mixer of 727s/M4A1s out of SWTG arms room.

CD

the UTG is way wrong, the MA is real close except for a couple minor differences..if you want a real deal colt than the EE is your best bet..

http://looserounds.com/2014/10/03/colt-n-car-stock-vs-ma-parts-car-stock/
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 5:50:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

the UTG is way wrong, the MA is real close except for a couple minor differences..if you want a real deal colt than the EE is your best bet..

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CD

There are a couple on the EE I'm looking into but I may buy the M&A.  I wish that write up covered the tube also.  They are saying it's a milspec tube.   Thanks for the link!!!!!

Somebody had a real colt one, and it didn't appear to be the older retro aluminum covered with rubber.  It appeared to be the later polymer one and he's asking TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY FIVE DOLLARS.

I'm really not all that anal about if it needs to be a milspec tube or not.  I've never had any problems with commercial tubes.  But I think they're a little longer than a CAR tube and the CAR stock won't be able to be shut all the way without the tube hanging out the back some?  Or maybe not.  I don't know how all that works.  I plan on putting on one of those rubber buttpads anyways though.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 5:57:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Under Block I we were issued the TA01NSN ACOGs with the thumb screw mounts.  Always been that way since 95'.  We were issued the Trijicon Reflex sight but I never like it as I could never really see the orange triangle in the center in bright daylight.  We used Aimpoints (pre M68s) when I went thru SFARTEAC in 97' and we came back the company started getting M68 Aimpoints with the Aimpoint QRP Comp mount.  I still have a few of these mounts.  

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/download/Number/25154/filename/Aimpoint-QRP-Comp-mount.jpg

Only painting I did on my gun at the time was to mark the knobs and carrying handle for indexing/torque.  Also marked my zero on the carrying handle on the windage and elevation knobs which is something I picked up from AMU when shooting long range with irons.  First BUIS we had as the KAC 300m.  Used that until 04' when we got some ARMS #40L which I still prefer however, now working with the KAC 600m BUIS few months ago as I've got 30 of those things in here.  Haven't done any long range work with it yet.

CD
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/download/Number/25154/filename/Aimpoint-QRP-Comp-mount.jpg

CD

Thank you for the rundown.  I wonder if there are any older aimpoints on the market.  Did they work well back then?  I should've asked this earlier, do you like paint on your front sight for better focus now? Or leave it black.  I saw some youtube video from some Navy SEAL about how a little bit of paint or something to help your eye focus on the front sight will help you're shooting.

I feel like I used to be good at focusing on the front sight and have had some degree of skill shooting irons.  And I doubt the paint trick would help my aging eyes.  But I was curious if you thought it was helpful or not.  I was trying to look at a few different pistols and to be honest, my Model 19 6" seems to have the sharpest front sight out of all of my pistols and it's black.  I'm not sure the ones that have white dots on them make a whole heck of a lot of difference.  The M4 just seems to be a little bit harder to get sharper focus on the front sight than say my battle rifles and A2 20".  Which I know is no surprise.  

I remember Joescuba saying they painted glow in the dark paint on theirs, but it was more for night time I think.  But maybe it had the added benefit of helping with focus in the light too.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 8:46:10 PM EDT
[#7]
yeah hes asking that much because its new in the wrapper, but you can find them for around 45 or 50 on there. you gotta catch em quick or they will be gone. commercial tubes will require a commercial stock, ive never seen a commercial stock that looked the same as the colt, so youre better off going with the milspec tube/stock.  you can find the older aimpoints on ebay, not sure which model CD used, but there was the comp m which came before the m2/m68 i believe. and even before that you had the 5000, 2000, etc. which are seen in the black hawk down thread.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 4:31:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thank you for the rundown.  I wonder if there are any older aimpoints on the market.  Did they work well back then?  I should've asked this earlier, do you like paint on your front sight for better focus now? Or leave it black.  I saw some youtube video from some Navy SEAL about how a little bit of paint or something to help your eye focus on the front sight will help you're shooting.

I feel like I used to be good at focusing on the front sight and have had some degree of skill shooting irons.  And I doubt the paint trick would help my aging eyes.  But I was curious if you thought it was helpful or not.  I was trying to look at a few different pistols and to be honest, my Model 19 6" seems to have the sharpest front sight out of all of my pistols and it's black.  I'm not sure the ones that have white dots on them make a whole heck of a lot of difference.  The M4 just seems to be a little bit harder to get sharper focus on the front sight than say my battle rifles and A2 20".  Which I know is no surprise.  

I remember Joescuba saying they painted glow in the dark paint on theirs, but it was more for night time I think.  But maybe it had the added benefit of helping with focus in the light too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CD

Never painted the front sight of my rifles, handguns yes.  Rifles were for long range shooting where I had enough time to focus at distance.  Handguns require a flash sight picture due to closeness to target.  For snap shooting at close range that's why I relied on the Aimpoint/ACOG to work, they never failed me.  During the First Gulf war the sights on my M16A2/M203 were unpainted also.  Irons worked fine for my early morning engagments out to 475m.

CD
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 1:21:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank you.

Another odd question for you.  I have one of those ARMS 22 rings.  When my brother in law got his aimpoint I gave him one one of the set because I didn't really like them as a scope set up.  The scope was a little far back on an AR so I just let him have one.  Did you ever see anybody use one of them for an aimpoint?  And were cut carry handles even a thing back then?  Seems like it wouldn't have taken too long for someone to figure that mod out.  No?  I googled the KAC 300 meter sights and it seemed like there were some places you could still buy them.  I think.  

I think the trijicon reflex sight is neat.  But when I fondled one a while back I saw the chevron double for some reason.  And if they're not bright enough, that makes it pretty useless.  

Link Posted: 7/25/2015 2:26:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thank you.

Another odd question for you.  I have one of those ARMS 22 rings.  When my brother in law got his aimpoint I gave him one one of the set because I didn't really like them as a scope set up.  The scope was a little far back on an AR so I just let him have one.  Did you ever see anybody use one of them for an aimpoint?  And were cut carry handles even a thing back then?  Seems like it wouldn't have taken too long for someone to figure that mod out.  No?  I googled the KAC 300 meter sights and it seemed like there were some places you could still buy them.  I think.  

I think the trijicon reflex sight is neat.  But when I fondled one a while back I saw the chevron double for some reason.  And if they're not bright enough, that makes it pretty useless.  

View Quote

The ARMS#22 could be used on a 30mm Aimpoint if the right height.  I think I gave one to a former 18B/Ranger friend one when he graduated and became a MD doctor.  Don't remember when the Navy started cutting and issuing cut down carrying handles.  We kept using the KAC 300m.

CD
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 3:16:07 PM EDT
[#11]
OK, so it IS a Navy thing.  It didn't really dawn on me until recently.  I didn't know if some enterprising Soldier in the arms room might have gotten happy with a chop saw early on or not.  Now I kind of wish I didn't chop mine....  Go Army.  LOL.    I have both so....  It does make it feel a bit handier though.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 2:33:29 PM EDT
[#12]
The original M68CCO was the CompM, not sure if it was an XD, or really, honestly and truly, what, if any difference there is/was between the CompM and CompM-XD, but there it is...  

Later versions were the CompM2 and CompM4/M4S (current).  

The earliest Aimpoints I've seen well document in use were the 2000 models, quickly superseded by the 3000 and 5000 models, I don't think I've ever seen or heard of good documentation of the use of the 1000 on M16 carbines.

It's worthwhile to note that logistically, the M68CCO is not strictly the same thing as the ECOS-N, though they were the same commercial model.  

As far as I can tell, USASOC elements much, much more often (and reasonably, one would imagine) used M68CCOs after they became available, not ECOS-Ns.  The most obvious and easy to spot difference being the QRP versus the Wilcox mount.

The biggest difference being that the M68CCO could be acquired/purchased the Army, rather than having to be procured through the Navy (NSWC-Crane/SOPMOD).  

~Augee
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 3:31:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The original M68CCO was the CompM, not sure if it was an XD, or really, honestly and truly, what, if any difference there is/was between the CompM and CompM-XD, but there it is...  

The earliest Aimpoints I've seen well document in use were the 2000 models, quickly superseded by the 3000 and 5000 models, I don't think I've ever seen or heard of good documentation of the use of the 1000 on M16 carbines.

It's worthwhile to note that logistically, the M68CCO is not strictly the same thing as the ECOS-N, though they were the same commercial model.  

As far as I can tell, USASOC elements much, much more often (and reasonably, one would imagine) used M68CCOs after they became available, not ECOS-Ns.  The most obvious and easy to spot difference being the QRP versus the Wilcox mount.

The biggest difference being that the M68CCO could be acquired/purchased the Army, rather than having to be procured through the Navy (NSWC-Crane/SOPMOD).  

~Augee
View Quote

What is the ECOS-N?  And what is a CompM-XD?    Did the compm have a 2moa or 4moa dot?  

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 7:43:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

What is the ECOS-N?  And what is a CompM-XD?    Did the compm have a 2moa or 4moa dot?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

~Augee

The ECOS-N is a CompM2 in a Wilcox mount and they are 4 moa, the CompM3 is the 2 moa version. I can't help with the XD though...

William
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:16:29 PM EDT
[#16]
So all the earlier Comp aimpoints were 4 moa then?  Interesting.  

I thought is was interesting that this guy still had the double heat shields on.  It looks like an "early socom" build with the addition of the laser thingy on top.  I have no clue what any of that stuff is or how to say it.  Sorry about that.  I guess the early ones probably weren't painted like that either.  Or maybe.  

In fact that was another question I was going to ask you CD.  Was painting done much in that era of mid to late 90's, pre GWOT?  I thought I remember seeing pics of I think Green Berets in one of the places we were in the 90's.  Like a jungle type place and I thought our guys might've had some more greenish painted M4's or something like that.  Maybe the Philippines?   Or Columbia?  I have no clue.  Honduras maybe.  LOL.  I don't know.  Anyways......  

The question being if an early socom build might be a painted gun or not.  

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 10:43:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Painting was down in limited amounts in the 90s.  Still frowned upon on M4A1s but accepted on M24s.  I remember when we were working on the SPR program (Mk12) when it was still just a upper receiver that the Army's position was that we could do any modification/painting as long as we kept the original components and turned it back into mother Army the way she issued it to us.  Then SOPMOD came along and set all that in stone.

CD
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:16:42 AM EDT
[#18]
The CompM XD is a 3 MOA dot.  

The CompM3 was never "adopted" as the M68CCO, it "jumped" from the M2 to the M4/M4S.  

Quoted:
I thought I remember seeing pics of I think Green Berets in one of the places we were in the 90's.  Like a jungle type place and I thought our guys might've had some more greenish painted M4's or something like that.  Maybe the Philippines?
View Quote

IIRC, Philippines, 2002:

~Augee
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:09:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Those are the exact pics I was thinking of!!!!!!  I guess it was a little bit after the time we are discussing.  But still neat nevertheless.  

I found an interesting online resource that seems to match up with a lot of what you guys are saying.  But you have to sift through a lot of stuff.  It's a timeline progression of changes and such.   Shows when the sopmod kit was adopted and things like that.  It definitely doesn't show Mk262 showing up in the 90's at all.  But maybe it was around experimentally?  I don't know.  

seemsaccuratebutihavenoclue

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:55:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Those are the exact pics I was thinking of!!!!!!  I guess it was a little bit after the time we are discussing.  But still neat nevertheless.  

I found an interesting online resource that seems to match up with a lot of what you guys are saying.  But you have to sift through a lot of stuff.  It's a timeline progression of changes and such.   Shows when the sopmod kit was adopted and things like that.  It definitely doesn't show Mk262 showing up in the 90's at all.  But maybe it was around experimentally?  I don't know.  

seemsaccuratebutihavenoclue
View Quote

Daniel Watters' 5.56 Timeline is one of the best sources out there for information, if, as you said, you're willing to comb through all the information.  For quick reference stuff, I do a lot of "CTRL+F."  

The author is also a member here, if an infrequent poster, as is/was Chris Bartocci, the author The Black Rifle II, though he had a lot of wonkiness go down around the time he left Colt several years ago.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:47:55 PM EDT
[#21]
I couldn't find an entry where acogs were adopted.  I did see them referred to in there a few times though.  And the Elcan 145 I think it was.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:40:05 AM EDT
[#22]
I was using TA01NSN later part in 95' when I was in Haiti.  Don't remember when we got them that year but we got the M4A1 in Mar/Apr 95'.

CD
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:03:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Was it all M855 back then, or did you shoot M193 sometimes too?  Or something else for that matter?  I can't remember how many rounds were on the commercial market back then, but I think there was a good amount of match ammo available. Or some.  I don't really know when Black Hills started with the 75's and 77's.   Not really sure how much.  Oh, and did you ever run across the FMJ 68 and 77 grain ammo that was used in Vietnam with the Stoner?  

It's amazing how many more choices there are now.  

Also, I was having a discussion on buffers in the MK262 thread.  What kind of buffers did people run back then? (Mid to late 90's)
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:19:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Was it all M855 back then, or did you shoot M193 sometimes too?  Or something else for that matter?  I can't remember how many rounds were on the commercial market back then, but I think there was a good amount of match ammo available. Or some.  I don't really know when Black Hills started with the 75's and 77's.   Not really sure how much.  Oh, and did you ever run across the FMJ 68 and 77 grain ammo that was used in Vietnam with the Stoner?  

It's amazing how many more choices there are now.  

Also, I was having a discussion on buffers in the MK262 thread.  What kind of buffers did people run back then? (Mid to late 90's)
View Quote

All M855 as its been out since 87'.  77gr OTM came out for the SPR in the late 90s.  Never had any of the ammo for the Stoner.

CD
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:22:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Well since this thread hasn't had much A2 action, I came across this one on the net and had never seen it before.   Probably better for the Somalia and 727 thread.  But I would imagine still falls into "Early SOCOM".  Or maybe not.......

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:29:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Well since this thread hasn't had much A2 action, I came across this one on the net and had never seen it before.   Probably better for the Somalia and 727 thread.  But I would imagine still falls into "Early SOCOM".  Or maybe not.......

http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o475/NomadABPos/gun%20album%20I%202015/sealhelisniper_zpswy97mf1d.jpg
View Quote

which Aimpoint series optic is this one?
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 4:03:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Seriously?  Did anyone else have a page glitch, a la M4A1 thread on this one?  

I mean, I understand that one got so big it broke ARFCOM, but this is Page 4.  

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o475/NomadABPos/gun%20album%20I%202015/sealhelisniper_zpswy97mf1d.jpg

Looks like a 2000 at a glance.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:39:03 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm not following.  You mean the size of the pic?  I actually had a glitch in the fact that I saw hypersport posted something when looking at the thread titles.  But then when I went into the thread I couldn't see anything....  

Now I see it though.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:44:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I actually had a glitch in the fact that I saw hypersport posted something when looking at the thread titles.  But then when I went into the thread I couldn't see anything....  

Now I see it though.
View Quote

That's the glitch.  Happens every page in the M4A1 Thread, the first post of the new page won't show up until there are multiple posts.  

The only way to get past it is to manually type the new page number into the URL, or, as folks have started doing in the M4A1 thread "spamming" the system by making multiple "glitch" posts so "the page turns."  

Glad to see it's not just me, though.  

My theory is that Staff just doesn't like M4A1s, too reminiscent of TOS.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:48:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:  That's the glitch.  Happens every page in the M4A1 Thread, the first post of the new page won't show up until there are multiple posts.  

The only way to get past it is to manually type the new page number into the URL, or, as folks have started doing in the M4A1 thread "spamming" the system by making multiple "glitch" posts so "the page turns."  

Glad to see it's not just me, though.  

My theory is that Staff just doesn't like M4A1s, too reminiscent of TOS.  

~Augee
View Quote

Not just that thread.  See that glitch quite a bit on multiple page threads.  Usually one extra post kicks the server index over.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:50:57 PM EDT
[#31]
I never noticed it until today.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 6:05:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Not just that thread.  See that glitch quite a bit on multiple page threads.  Usually one extra post kicks the server index over.
View Quote

Interesting.  Must've only noticed it in the M4A1 thread because of unusually high post tempo, and in here, because of extraordinarily low post tempo.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 7:45:06 PM EDT
[#33]
In the M4A1 thread it doesn't show until the third post of every page. I honestly don't know if it's fixable. Might be a permanent bug in whatever software ARFCOM uses. Just a pain in the ass, but manageable luckily.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:09:01 PM EDT
[#34]
I barely ever go in the M4A1 Block II thread.  All these newfangled guns are getting so......  newfangled.  I can't believe that any gun pre 2000 is almost getting to be old school.  Weird.  I'm getting old.  The amount of new rails and grips and optics and this and thats that can be had nowadays is almost staggering compared to when I first joined here.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 5:56:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'm not following.  You mean the size of the pic?  I actually had a glitch in the fact that I saw hypersport posted something when looking at the thread titles.  But then when I went into the thread I couldn't see anything....  

Now I see it though.
View Quote

I thought it was me when I did not see my post but also saw it listed me posting on this thread.  I did not want to double post and just logged out

So we think it is a Aimpoint 2000. I saw the 5000 on their site and thought it could be it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:51:05 PM EDT
[#36]
a pic i posted in the block 1 thread

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:35:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Yeah, dats a good one.

I got my CAR stock from another forum member but it didn't fit on my RRA commercial tube.  Now I have to locate a Milspec tube.  Which I think I'm gonna do.  Interestingly enough, midway has Colt brand 4 pos tubes.........  Plus I gotta get someone to loosen up my castle nut.  I don't have an AR wrench.  And I can't get it to move with a punch and hammer.  And I didn't stake it.   So...  I'm not sure why it's on so tight.  I guess just been on there too long.  It's righty tight lefty loosey, right.  For castle nuts?  That's how the threads look to me.  

For some reason I'm interested in getting a trijicon accupoint.  I like not having batteries.  I'll have to see if the reticle works for me.  I noticed on Trijicon's website the the RX01NSN was the 4.5 MOA dot.  But I like the triangle.......
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:44:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Should be able to find a castle nut wrench for $10 or so.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:48:50 PM EDT
[#39]
I guess every AR owner should have one.......
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 3:17:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Sooooooo......  

Lights and lasers.  I'm especially devoid of knowledge of the latter because I've never got into them because they're always so expensive.  And heck the only real good light I have is I figured it was a NEED to have a Surefire G2Z for HD to use with my pistols.  Before that I relied on cheap crap that you shouldn't trust.

So anyways......  Curious about the mid to late 90's for this topic.  We know that in BHD guys were strapping lights to their guns via either tape on the handgaurds (I think CD said somewhere that he did that, if my memory is correct) and then there's the clamping on to barrels with metal clamps.  I forget what type of lights other than Mag lights......  

This guy here (far left) looks like his light is attached to the bayo lug somehow.  Possibly.  Or maybe it's forward of that and just looks like it is....

Now the latter part of my question.  If the PEQ-2 didn't come out until 2000, were any lasers used during the 90's?  And if so, what kind?
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 4:42:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Flashlight looks like a Surefire 6P with tailcap using a Surefire barrel clamp mount.  I still have one of those in my parts bin at home (along with a 3P and 6P w/tailcap)  I seem to recall the PEQ-2 being used in the late 90s IIRC.  Either 100mph tape (OD green duct tape or hose clamps) were used in the early 90s to mount 3 D cell Maglites to our M16A2s.

CD
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 1:17:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Now, correct me if I'm wrong.  Isn't the 3P the same one that was used on some of them early MEUSOC 1911's with that big ole mount that attached to the dustcover?   Or maybe that was the 6P.  Or neither?   I wonder how many people have them (just the lights) floating around their basements, having replaced them with newer stuff.....  If they were on this site they'd know there is a market for retro stuff like that.  LOL.  

And from what you're saying, surefire actually made a mount that attached to the barrel?  I don't think I realized that.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 1:27:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Now, correct me if I'm wrong.  Isn't the 3P the same one that was used on some of them early MEUSOC 1911's with that big ole mount that attached to the dustcover?   Or maybe that was the 6P.  Or neither?   I wonder how many people have them (just the lights) floating around their basements, having replaced them with newer stuff.....  If they were on this site they'd know there is a market for retro stuff like that.  LOL.  

And from what you're saying, surefire actually made a mount that attached to the barrel?  I don't think I realized that.
View Quote

a 3p is just a single battery 6p. yes the 3p and 6p bodies were used on the early surefire pistol lights. they made them for many different handguns, not just 1911s. also used the 6p on the different rifle/shotgun forends. the surefire M14 mount clamps to the barrel and has a section or picatinny rail on it, then you use a weaver ring to mount the light.

there could be a whole forum dedicated to just old surefire lights and mounts.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 3:18:55 PM EDT
[#44]
thank you!

I was just reading about eotechs and I guess the first one came out in 96.  I wonder how fast they made it on to our guys' rifles, even if it was bought off of the shelf.  I wonder which model was the first one.  I'll try to figure that out.  

Link Posted: 8/15/2015 3:28:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
thank you!

I was just reading about eotechs and I guess the first one came out in 96.  I wonder how fast they made it on to our guys' rifles, even if it was bought off of the shelf.  I wonder which model was the first one.  I'll try to figure that out.  

View Quote

the earliest model ive seen in pics is this style.

ETA: heres a pic posted by Pat McNamara, not sure on date/details. but that model eotech with the armalite free float tubes.

Link Posted: 8/15/2015 5:03:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Funky.  I've seen that last one posted.  But maybe that's the same thing without the outer shroud......

Link Posted: 8/15/2015 5:09:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

http://oi58.tinypic.com/hrlv5y.jpg

ETA: heres a pic posted by Pat McNamara, not sure on date/details. but that model eotech with the armalite free float tubes.

http://thelaymansperch.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/McNamara2.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
thank you!

Pat and I went to jump school and the Q course together back in 84'.

CD
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 5:14:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Funky.  I've seen that last one posted.  But maybe that's the same thing without the outer shroud......

View Quote

yes, the hood was part of a "hardened" package i believe. before the hood became standard.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 7:07:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

yes, the hood was part of a "hardened" package i believe. before the hood became standard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're on an old school SOCOM kick as of late huh? Suddenly I see you posting decade pre-GWOT accessories and see pieces of your CQBR on the EE.

I love this old stuff too. I need build a clone of one of these bad boys. Starting to miss my 727, so maybe it's time for an early SOCOMish build
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 7:07:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

CD
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
thank you!

CD

Did you see those early eotechs much?  Or any eotechs much in even the late 90's?  

I came across these vids on youtube called BCM American Gunfighter and the second one in the series is about a guy named Tom Spooner.  I think he might have run in similar circles as you maybe about the same time.  ???  I forget if it was 7th SF group you were in or not.  He said he was in that after Desert Storm and then eventually DELTA.  Actually, I'll link it.  I just thought maybe you knew him....  I like his story and the thing he set up for transitioning warriors after retiring.

Page / 3
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top