Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2014 10:44:49 PM EDT
So I've been toying with the idea of completely assemblying my first AR, barrel and all (normally just buy complete upper even though I have all the necessary tools to build and knowledge).  I recently just bought a FN marked A2 upper off the EE. I already have a M16A2 and M16A1 build, and several M4 variations so I wanted something different a KISS carbine.  

My problem is that my knowledge is very limited on what exactly I'm going to need for it to be as correct as possible minus the fact that I know I'll need a CAR style stock but it has to be two position or what? My knowledge is very limited on this thus far, but I'm willing to learn
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:00:07 AM EDT
[#1]
What you do depends on how close to a 727 you want to get. IMO, the biggest challenge is the 14.5 barrel with the normal, not F marked FSB, and then you need an A2 upper with M4 feed ramps, which are also not all over the place. After that the N1 Colt stock is probably the toughest part along with the 6 hole skinny hand guards.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:41:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Best barrel to use with the proper A2 fsb is from DSA.  Add your extended and pinned
flash hider and you are set.  And it is very accurate.

http://www.dsarms.com/p-11686-dsa-zm4-145-chrome-lined-17-twist-m4-barrel.aspx
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 1:38:23 PM EDT
[#3]
This is good intel.  I am considering buying an entire upper from DSA and use the flat top for a varmit/target rig.
Ralph
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 2:42:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Personally using an F marked FSB doesn't bother me, the front post can be adjusted down and it works just fine.

At last check Brownells had Colt M4 barrel assemblies in stock, rather than using a 14.5" with an extended A2 flash hider I'd have the Colt barrel cut to 14.7 and use a standard A2. It looks better IMO.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 7:18:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Personally using an F marked FSB doesn't bother me, the front post can be adjusted down and it works just fine.

At last check Brownells had Colt M4 barrel assemblies in stock, rather than using a 14.5" with an extended A2 flash hider I'd have the Colt barrel cut to 14.7 and use a standard A2. It looks better IMO.
View Quote

Might not be of concern to some but just be aware that a bayonet will not work on a 14.7 with standard A2 flash hider  but it will fit on a 14.5 with extended A2 flash hider.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 4:10:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm doing the same thing and I am having trouble finding a A2 upper with M4 feedramps...
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 4:20:26 PM EDT
[#7]

I agree with Sputnik556, about the Front Sight height.  You can do as he suggested and just screw it down into the FSB a little more then usual, or you can file/grind about 1mm (0.0039") off the top of the Front Sight,

then touch it up with a little cold blue, and call it done.  But either way I would suggest getting one of the National Match Front Sight Post's, as they are a little thinner then the standard Front Sight Post.  Which in return, gives

you a much better sight picture, because now the Front Sight Post wont obscure as much of your target.

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 6:31:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Best barrel to use with the proper A2 fsb is from DSA.  Add your extended and pinned
flash hider and you are set.  And it is very accurate.

http://www.dsarms.com/p-11686-dsa-zm4-145-chrome-lined-17-twist-m4-barrel.aspx
View Quote

I am thinking to order one of these, maybe put on my C7 upper.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 2:41:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I got my a2 upper (with m4 ramps) from american spirit arms.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 9:24:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the great intel thus far guys, I'm definitely going to get the barrel from DSA cause that is a heck of a price. I am not going to try to be absolutely correct on this, but as close as my wallet will allow me. Which isn't far at this moment due to Christmas gifts and being engaged and planning a wedding at the moment.

So far, I've got an Anderson manufacturing lower and a commercial car buffer style stock that I got off the EE. The tube is 4 position but beggars can't be choosers. Looking forward to it as money presents it self. Still on hunt for a good A2 upper
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 11:48:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Brownells had a colt a2 stripper upper last I checked.... super expensive though
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 11:58:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Anything wrong with a J&T Distributing A2 upper? That's what I was going to go with...
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 11:59:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Uncontrolled double...
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 12:00:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 12:14:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Nope.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anything wrong with a J&T Distributing A2 upper? That's what I was going to go with...

Nope.

Thanks Osprey, I thought they would be good to go. $135 buys an A2 upper that is fully assembled with sight, port door, and forward assist.
That's what I plan to go with.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 8:57:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So I've been toying with the idea of completely assemblying my first AR, barrel and all (normally just buy complete upper even though I have all the necessary tools to build and knowledge).  I recently just bought a FN marked A2 upper off the EE. I already have a M16A2 and M16A1 build, and several M4 variations so I wanted something different a KISS carbine.  

My problem is that my knowledge is very limited on what exactly I'm going to need for it to be as correct as possible minus the fact that I know I'll need a CAR style stock but it has to be two position or what? My knowledge is very limited on this thus far, but I'm willing to learn
View Quote

I used this to guide me with my 727 build a couple years ago.

http://imageevent.com/willyp/firearmsalbums/uscoltarmalitem16ar15556/coltmodel727carbine

Cerro Forge upper
NDS-16A1 lower
Colt 14.5" M203 profile barrel w/ Ext. A2 FH
“BFI” in diamond FSB (1980s)
Colt FA BCG
NDS 2-pos. receiver extension (mil-spec)
Model 1 Sales CAR stock
Colt 6-hole handguards

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:03:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Looks Good!
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:46:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Windham has a pinned A2 front sight 14.5 with the extended A2 hider

http://www.windhamweaponry.com/shopexd.asp?id=284#axzz3QB2Lf8Dq
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top