Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2014 7:45:58 AM EDT
I did it. Went to my first match last weekend. I took my rifle (tactical derp) to a match.

Other than the free float rail and 1/2x1/2 rear sight, its a mil spec rifle in a CMP / NRA highpower legal configuration. It has a standard GI A2 rear aperture though, no national match hood or NM front. FNH GI A2 barrel and upper purchased right here off the EE.  

My goal was to show others that this can be done, and that the only time equipment enters into the equation is when we let equipment take us out of the equation.

The fear of not having a DCM rifle with a stainless steel barrel and leather sling and a shooting jacket are simply irrational fears that keep us out of competition. If that's you, then you will find yourself chasing excellence and unable to catch it. You can either go with what you have, right now, or worry about not having the right equipment when true mastery of shooting these events is a *personal* mastery...

I am writing an article for my blog which will be out later this week. I will post it here as an update. Its full of pretty pictures!

Score for those curious 688-4x on an 800 agg match. I went with calculated dope and a 100 yard zero... and had to adjust everything on the fly.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:09:50 AM EDT
[#1]

Knife_Sniper, WOW, you did pretty damn good on your first Match, without all the expensive extra's.  Just think how much better you could do without the additional weight of that railed handguard you have on it (just kidding)

I guess you can say that, your more High-Speed, Low Drag, without the fancy equipment.  With more match's under your belt, I'll bet you'll get into the mid-700's fast.

Although, getting a NM Front Sight Post would not be a bad investment.  IMHO the standard Front Sight Post IS to wide, and even the Canadian C7's & C8's have a thinner FS Post, then the US standard.

FWIW, I put an Armalite NM Windage Drum on my A2 Upper, to give me 1/4" adjustments.  It's a Very Cheap upgrade, and very easy to do.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:14:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Way to go!!!

Did you use that particular sling?  I would think if you have a free float rail, a traditional sling attached to the rail and buttstock would aid in steadying your rifle with some tension.

I have a govt a2 that someday I'd like to shoot a match with.  No doubt an accurized weapon is easier to be more accurate with, but as you have shown, and others, decent accuracy can be had with a govt barrel and not all the bells and whistles.  There is some truth though, that if you want to beat everyone else, you might have to have the good stuff.  Although I'm sure a motivated guy, that practices could surpass someone with all the right gear that isn't as skilled or motivated.

But in my experience, free float rails and match barrels typically shoot more accurate than run of the mill standard barrels.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:19:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Knife_Sniper, WOW, you did pretty damn good on your first Match, without all the expensive extra's.  Just think how much better you could do without the additional weight of that railed handguard you have on it (just kidding)

I guess you can say that, your more High-Speed, Low Drag, without the fancy equipment.  With more match's under your belt, I'll bet you'll get into the mid-700's fast.

Although, getting a NM Front Sight Post would not be a bad investment.  IMHO the standard Front Sight Post IS to wide, and even the Canadian C7's & C8's have a thinner FS Post, then the US standard.

FWIW, I put an Armalite NM Windage Drum on my A2 Upper, to give me 1/4" adjustments.  It's a Very Cheap upgrade, and very easy to do.

View Quote

I have a FN A2 setup this very way and it shoots better than I do, I need to get back into shooting matches though.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 12:33:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Way to go!!!

Did you use that particular sling?  I would think if you have a free float rail, a traditional sling attached to the rail and buttstock would aid in steadying your rifle with some tension.

I have a govt a2 that someday I'd like to shoot a match with.  No doubt an accurized weapon is easier to be more accurate with, but as you have shown, and others, decent accuracy can be had with a govt barrel and not all the bells and whistles.  There is some truth though, that if you want to beat everyone else, you might have to have the good stuff.  Although I'm sure a motivated guy, that practices could surpass someone with all the right gear that isn't as skilled or motivated.

But in my experience, free float rails and match barrels typically shoot more accurate than run of the mill standard barrels.
View Quote

I used a nylon GI web sling which can be utilized for steadying the shot. The sling pictured, can... interestingly enough, be used as a shooting aid but isn't legal.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:02:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Very good score, the stock A2 is nothing to sneeze at in the accuracy department.  Out of curiosity, what type of ammo did you use?  Hope you didn't get any sneers or snide comments esp from the older chaps for having a "tactical rifle", some of those people can be pretentious.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:19:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Sweet rifle.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:05:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Very good score, the stock A2 is nothing to sneeze at in the accuracy department.  Out of curiosity, what type of ammo did you use?  Hope you didn't get any sneers or snide comments esp from the older chaps for having a "tactical rifle", some of those people can be pretentious.
View Quote

I used 69 grain handloads with 23.4 grains of accurate 2230. Reloaded them a long time ago, so i am not sure if the grains are off on the charge so don't copy it!

I didn't have any problems from the other shooters. It was more like "help the new guy, he has no gear and were not sure if he knows what hes doing yet."

My marksmanship regimen was at home working snapping in and sling tension from various positions... concentrating on NPOA. I only fired 600 yards once before and that was the same rifle with 60 grain reloads and at the time it was not free floated.

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:59:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I used 69 grain handloads with 23.4 grains of accurate 2230. Reloaded them a long time ago, so i am not sure if the grains are off on the charge so don't copy it!

I didn't have any problems from the other shooters. It was more like "help the new guy, he has no gear and were not sure if he knows what hes doing yet."

My marksmanship regimen was at home working snapping in and sling tension from various positions... concentrating on NPOA. I only fired 600 yards once before and that was the same rifle with 60 grain reloads and at the time it was not free floated.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice looking Alpha Deuce and when it's all said and done, it's all about the shooter.  In this case, it's a lot of practice ... well having the GI FN barrel and the right load does help too
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 1:32:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Nicely done.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:50:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I love that gun you built. I think i have a couple pics of it you posted. Sidetrack a lil, who made the stock? It looks od green with maybe a foilage green mag?
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 12:48:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I love that gun you built. I think i have a couple pics of it you posted. Sidetrack a lil, who made the stock? It looks od green with maybe a foilage green mag?
View Quote

Not OP but it looks like a Cav Arms stock.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 12:54:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Link to my hard hitting, pulitzer prize worthy blog post!

Yup its a cav arms stock. It has since been replaced back with the green A2 stock assembly. That picture is older, but the rifle looks the same.

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 11:51:06 AM EDT
[#13]

Knife_Sniper,  Your link takes me to thenewrifleman.com, then quickly switches over to some Italiankitchen website.

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 12:08:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Is anyone else getting redirected to something other than my blog? My webmaster did a full scan and my site checks out.

Navy Vet it could be your browser has been hijacked but we won't know until someone here tries my link.

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 12:34:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I go there fine.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:14:00 PM EDT
[#16]
No problems with the link here either.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 10:57:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Link to my hard hitting, pulitzer prize worthy blog post!

Yup its a cav arms stock. It has since been replaced back with the green A2 stock assembly. That picture is older, but the rifle looks the same.

View Quote

Nice read! Yes the stock... The green a2 stock. Looking for make and color. I know armalite and cav arms and maybe others have them... And i know cav arms has od and foilage green. I like yours alot. I think its the od green... Just wondering if you knew for sure.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:39:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Go here for a green A2 stock at Rock River Arms

One thing about the stock set from RRA: The A2 stock is good quality, the green pistol grip is good quality, but the handguards suck. They were flimsy and just cheap as hell in general. I would get with Cavalry manufacturing for the good green for end assembly.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top