Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2014 5:22:57 PM EDT
Alright guys, I finally got my A2 upper I purchased off the EE. Which is in perfect conditon BTW
So now im onto the barrel. What twist rate is correct for the M16A2?

I want to purchase a pre-pinned FSB 20" barrel. I want it to be literally what was on the M16A2 or as close as I can get to it.
I Want this to be a non F marked FSB correct? (rear sight is 8/3 ) A pre installed flash hider is preferable but not needed. And where would I find this? I think I covered everything, If not just ask. Im very familiar with M4's but with A2's......not as much.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 5:38:34 PM EDT
[#1]
1x7 twist government profile with a peel washer and A2 FH.

20" A2 barrels don't have F marked FSB's and shouls have rifle extensions not M4, they are making them now with M4 extensions but they will work with A2 uppers w/o modding the upper. Yes, A2 uppers have 8/3 rear sights, carbine carry handles have 6/3 elevation wheels.

ETA: why do you need to have the flash hider installed? Anyone that can use an adjustible wrench can install an A2 FH.

This is the best A2 barrel you can buy hands down, I've built over a dozen FN uppers and still have 5, they are the most accurate 20" barrel I've ever shot. Check one out
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 6:29:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1x7 twist government profile with a peel washer and A2 FH.

20" A2 barrels don't have F marked FSB's and shouls have rifle extensions not M4, they are making them now with M4 extensions but they will work with A2 uppers w/o modding the upper. Yes, A2 uppers have 8/3 rear sights, carbine carry handles have 6/3 elevation wheels.

ETA: why do you need to have the flash hider installed? Anyone that can use an adjustible wrench can install an A2 FH.

This is the best A2 barrel you can buy hands down, I've built over a dozen FN uppers and still have 5, they are the most accurate 20" barrel I've ever shot. Check one out
View Quote

Thanks buddy. I dont need it to be pre installed, I still have all the tools except the vice block. So it would just be easier but not needed. Alright so FN 20" non F marked, 1/7 twist with rifle cuts. Got it. Most of this was just for a reminder and to make sure I didnt get things mixed up. Couldnt recall the twist for the 20" barrel to save my life tho lol. 1/7 will be easy to remember tho cause thats what I run on my M4's minus 1 1/9 twist
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 6:41:47 PM EDT
[#3]
If you ever need to borrow any tools, I have doubles of everything except for the barrel block. A FSB block will work just as good for installng FH's. The brownells orange one works great or 2-12" sections of 2x4 dremeled to work like a barrel vise works too.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 7:01:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If you ever need to borrow any tools, I have doubles of everything except for the barrel block. A FSB block will work just as good for installng FH's. The brownells orange one works great or 2-12" sections of 2x4 dremeled to work like a barrel vise works too.
View Quote

I may take you up on that my brotha! Will my M4 armorers wrench work for tightening down a rifle receiver extension or will I need a specific rifle ext tool? I may need a block for the flash hider and barrel nut, but I still have a lower receiver block for the extension
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 7:19:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I may take you up on that my brotha! Will my M4 armorers wrench work for tightening down a rifle receiver extension or will I need a specific rifle ext tool? I may need a block for the flash hider and barrel nut, but I still have a lower receiver block for the extension
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

dude all you need is to hand tighten a rifle buffertube then use your adjustible wrench to give it a little umph. the extensions have a flat at the back end to tighten, but you rarely need em, Iscrew them in by hand until it holds down the buffer detent assembly, then give it a small trn with the wrench. FWIW A2 builds are the easiest of any AR variant to build. I can build one in an hour, upper and lower and thats taking my sweet ass time.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 8:01:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

dude all you need is to hand tighten a rifle buffertube then use your adjustible wrench to give it a little umph. the extensions have a flat at the back end to tighten, but you rarely need em, Iscrew them in by hand until it holds down the buffer detent assembly, then give it a small trn with the wrench. FWIW A2 builds are the easiest of any AR variant to build. I can build one in an hour, upper and lower and thats taking my sweet ass time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome!! Thats almost too easy. So now I just need to invest in a block for the FH and barrel nut and ill be set for tools. Which means onto more A2 parts!
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 8:14:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Go to the local cali section and ask if you can meetupp with someone so you can use their upper receiver vise block. I did this for my first build back in 2004, and a guy called and helped me out that literally lived 10 minutes away. He owned a Bar and I remember sneaking AR parts into the basement of the bar to build and I was too nervous to do it myself so I had him do it for me. Took him all of 10 minutes, I gave him a 20.00 then he proceeded to buy me 40.00 worth of beer before I left. lol
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 8:19:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Go to the local cali section and ask if you can meetupp with someone so you can use their upper receiver vise block. I did this for my first build back in 2004, and a guy called and helped me out that literally lived 10 minutes away. He owned a Bar and I remember sneasking AR parts into the basement of the bar to build and I was too nervous to do it myself so I had him do it for me. Took him all of 10 minutes, I gave him a 20.00 then he proceeded to buy me 40.00 worth of beer before I left. lol
View Quote

Hahaha thats the best first build ever if you ask me. Mine wasnt anywhere near as exciting, but I had used my buddys vice block who now moved out of state but ill figure that part out. I also need to find a nice set of A2 handguards. Im planning on getting the BCM fixed stock kit so I dont know if some handguards off the EE would match it well unless theyre brand new lol
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 5:37:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 5:50:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Got a black one from him not too long ago and am quite happy with it. Matches up nicely with the NOS FN USGI barrel, FN BCG, USGI hand guards and miscellaneous small parts I used for my A2 clone.

Link Posted: 9/6/2014 7:05:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Got a black one from him not too long ago and am quite happy with it. Matches up nicely with the NOS FN USGI barrel, FN BCG, USGI hand guards and miscellaneous small parts I used for my A2 clone.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I've built 12 all FN complete uppers and almost all of the A2 upper receivers came from this seller. Wish I had kept more of these uppers, but woulda, shoulda, coulda. I still have 3 Complete FNMI uppers left with no plans on building or selling anymore..... for myself at least.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top