Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2014 6:37:26 PM EDT
I had to look at the price twice to make sure it wasn't a typo:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_119/1347331_WTS__Colt_N_Marked_CAR_Stocks___New_take_offs.html

A few years ago, a guy at a LGS had a bunch of these new in Colt package stock kits for $125 bucks each and he couldn't give em away.  Now, I wish I would have bought them all and stack 'em deep
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:57:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Doesn't mean it will sell for that much. I don't follow Colt prices,but people post things up for stupid prices all the time.

There was a knife in the blades EE, seller wanted more used than I just bought new from Amazon.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:06:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_119/1347331_WTS__Colt_N_Marked_CAR_Stocks___New_take_offs.html

A few years ago, a guy at a LGS had a bunch of these new in Colt package stock kits for $125 bucks each and he couldn't give em away.  Now, I wish I would have bought them all and stack 'em deep
View Quote

Even Assuming you could sell them at the price this guy wants, you still wouldn't be making much profit, after taking into account inflation and the time-value of money.

And, he won't well those for what he wants anyway.     You can get a brand new Colt for less than $800.  It's not the premium priced product it used to be.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:13:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And, he won't well those for what he wants anyway.     You can get a brand new Colt for less than $800.  It's not the premium priced product it used to be.
View Quote

While I agree that he's not going to get the price he's asking for them, I think what you're missing is that these are not current production stocks, they're an out of production stock design that's no longer manufactured, though there's a company making very similar reproductions.  

Either way, the premium price comes from them being semi-"collectible," there will never be more and now people are beginning to want them, and prices are going up.  What a new Colt with modern parts is selling for has no bearing on the pricing of such items.  SP1s have not gone down in price because you can get an LE6920 for $800.  They've gone up as the years go by.  

For $85-$100, those stocks probably wouldn't last more than twenty-four hours before being snapped up.

The same happened with the old Colt vinyl acetate coated aluminum stock, or "SP1" or "XM177E2" stocks.  For a while after they were discontinued, no one wanted them.  Then suddenly people became interested in "retros" and the price of an original now hovers around $300-$400 when you can find them.  

I'm just glad I picked up enough CAR stocks when they were selling for $5 a piece or being given away as "bonus gifts" in the EE to last me for a while, and I only painted one.  

And no, I'm not selling any of mine.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:53:14 PM EDT
[#4]
This complete NOS kit just sold on GB for $165 with only one bidder.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=434588847

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 10:06:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought one about two months ago at a flea market for $5. A like new Colt take off, nicest I've found in a long time, and cheap.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 1:35:39 AM EDT
[#6]
A few years ago (3?) at SAR West I bought new ones for $5.   Other than a paint pen number on them they were brand new.   The guy had a whole tub of them and wasn't the only vendor that had them.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:51:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
A few years ago (3?) at SAR West I bought new ones for $5.   Other than a paint pen number on them they were brand new.   The guy had a whole tub of them and wasn't the only vendor that had them.
View Quote

IIRC, in 2007-2008, M16A1 parts were pretty daggone prevalent and cheap.  So cheap, in fact, we helped my Dad put together a clone based on the rifle he carried.  Now, they're not as cheap and available - you still can find them, but it's not like before.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:10:43 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

I bought that.  Seemed fair enough compared to what people are asking for the stocks alone and this one is new.  Maybe I payed roo much but I was surprised no one else bid on it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:11:52 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I bought that.  Seemed fair enough compared to what people are asking for the stocks alone and this one is new.  Maybe I payed roo much but I was surprised no one else bid on it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Agreed - considering the current market, I think it was a fair price and seriously thought about it. What do you plan on building with it?

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:57:28 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a colt 6933 on order and might use the stock for that to keep the carbine nice and light or pick up a Nodak lower and build something.  Funny how the parts collect until one day you realize you have a few unbuilt rifles laying around.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:19:40 AM EDT
[#11]
In all fairness, I think some of the recent scarcity in CAR stocks has been a result of the "Ultra-Light" trend - people searching for the most lightweight solutions started buying up CAR stocks.

It became quickly self-correcting when the CAR stocks began to hit the prices of the LWRCi compact and UCIW stocks and the Ultra-Light market caught up with solutions, demand briefly outstripped supply, drove the prices up - and now, though demand has slowed a bit, prices will likely never come down much.

~Augee
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:18:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Could be, but a lwrc stock is 7.9 oz and a colt N is 4.3oz at least on my scale if memory serves correct.  An m4 stock is still better at 6 oz.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 10:19:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Could be, but a lwrc stock is 7.9 oz and a colt N is 4.3oz at least on my scale if memory serves correct.  An m4 stock is still better at 6 oz.
View Quote

Fair enough.  

Haven't weighed any of the stocks, nor have I really gotten into the "Ultra-Light" craze, so it may not be the LWRCi that's competing with it - I just recall having seen many on "Ultra-Light," though I wonder how the weights play out when you use the shorter UCIW receiver extension/buffer compared to the "full" CAR or M4 setup.  

I do believe that Ultra Lights were the reason for the seeming "sudden" run on CAR stocks, where they appeared to go from $5 to $85 for a used stock body practically overnight - either way - self-correcting once they got expensive.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:10:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't want to violate any Arfcom rules of ad-stomping, but that guy might be mentally deficient if he thinks he's going to get those prices for those stocks.  What an idiot.

I picked up 3 used N-marked stocks, with buffer tubes, springs, buffer, nuts, etc.. for $150, out the door.  This was from a gentleman on the EE, and while it's starting to look like I might have gotten a killer deal, I personally feel that a used CAR stock kit is worth about $50.  Any higher than that, and I'd rather just buy something newer - or a reproduction.  Tony's customs sells plastic CAR reproduction kits (buffer/springs/nuts/stock) for $50, or an aluminum repro kit for $100.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 5:35:07 AM EDT
[#15]
I have 2 of them. Both used, no complaints from me on their condition. I happen to like used looking stuff. I paid $65 for one, and $10 for the other. The guy I got the cheaper one from had the attitude, "it's just an old plastic stock". I guess I should have tried to talk him down, lol.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:50:15 AM EDT
[#16]
I recently bagged up the one I had on my truck gun beater carbine.  For what they're going for these days I'll preserve it's nearly new appearance for now.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top