Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/11/2014 12:38:33 AM EDT
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post.  I joined in 2002 but haven't posted much.  I have two Colt A2 rifles; one is a 6601 Sporter Match HBAR, the other is a Sporter Lightweight 6530.  I'd like to change the uppers to get rid of the carry handle and A-frame front sight and convert to pop-up sights and some kind of optic.  I'd like to make both guns carbines, change the stock on the HBAR, etc.  I'd be hoping for defensive carbine level accuracy, around 1 MOA, or better, but without knowing what I should expect, I don't want to ramble too much about my "wants", because in spite of reading and researching, I'm far from an expert and as far as expectations go, basically don't know WTF I'm talking about.

I've looked around and there are a lot of options at widely differing prices.  I'm not strapped by budget constraints and want good hardware, but I'm also not a gun snob that feels the need to spend just for bragging rights.  A neighbor who's a (friendly) gun snob told me it would be a waste of time to "upgrade" the Colts, but I disagree.

So, my two questions are- first, is my neighbor correct and I should leave these rifles as-is and just buy or build new ones?  Second question, which uppers would you recommend?  I could build one, but if a good pre-built one can save me a lot of time, I'm happy with that too.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:00:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Since budget isnt an issue, leave them babies as is! Build a carbine or 2 from scratch. A2's deserve to stay A2's IMO
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:10:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Since budget isnt an issue, leave them babies as is! Build a carbine or 2 from scratch. A2's deserve to stay A2's IMO
View Quote

^^^ What MilSpec said ^^^^
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 11:56:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is this, and its a damn fine argument, but it sounds like you pretty much want to change it all up. So why not keep/leave those as is or sell them to someone who does want that config? Then buy/build what you want now.... Though you might be surprised how much you miss your 20 once you start shooting your carbine.  My $0.02.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 4:30:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I would not get rid of the original setups.  However, I'd like to change the stock on the 20 to a collapsible and get uppers for both that gave me more options for optics and got rid of the A-frame front sight.  But no, I wouldn't get rid of the original parts and would still interchange and shoot in original fashion at times at the range.

I bought both these guns as pre-bans during the dark days, and frankly paid too frikkin' much for them to butcher them.  The guns have real and sentimental value.  The fact that a few parts changes can make these rifles equal to what's offered now is testimony to the intelligence of the original design.  While other rifles such as the AK are fine in their own right and may be very reliable, no other rifle this century has been able to make an average person as capable of self-defense both up close and 3-4 football fields away as this platform, especially with modern optics.

Again, I'd be keeping the original parts.  I just want to purchase second uppers for both guns to take advantage of modern optics.  I purchased a SCAR 17 last year and the goodies that are out there now are downright amazing.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 10:40:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Of course it would all depend on just what upper configuration you want, but if it were me, I would look at PSA for an upper assy. Their prices really can't be beat, they sell quality products, and I believe that you can get pretty much exactly what you are interested in. They are known for slow shipping though, and if you order from them you need to be patient.

The other thing to do is make up a list of what you want on an upper and source the parts separately. Nearly all the upper/lower forgings are made by the same manufacturers and since you stated that you aren't interested in paying too much for just a name, I would get a flattop upper from PSA and piece the rest together.

Barrels are another story, but there again, some internet google-fu should net you a good barrel in the length, twist rate and material that you want.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 3:11:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Just buy a 800 bucks colt 6720 and leave the others alone.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 9:39:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Those Colts are so nice they shouldn't be altered and they will appreciate in value if unmolested.  Just build a carbine, parts are cheap right now.  As already said, the carbine will never be a rifle.  You may find you miss the accuracy, range, and more stopping power of the 20" rifle.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top