Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2014 8:56:38 PM EDT
I have two A2 one with a Kreiger barrel and one with a Shilen barrel.Both are 20 " long with the 12" plastic forearms.The Kreiger has a Leupold 2.5 x 8 scope the Shilen has a Trijicon .Both are very accurate.Thinking about having one or both equipped with a free floating barrel and forearm.Can someone tell me what that entails?
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 9:29:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Armalite makes a National Match type freefloating hand guard like you're talking about.  It requires a proprietary handguard, gas tube and I think a special barrel nut.
I also think Fulton Armory makes parts for nam A2'.

http://www.armalite.com/Categories2.aspx?Category=a6fe0290-cc27-46d8-98b6-a393a33b0f5d
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 10:02:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Rock river has them also.  Just installed one.  Should come with sleeve barrel nut with jam nut, modified a2 handguards and gas tube.  You will need to remove the barrel and front sight.  Not that hard with the right tools.

ETA.  also with the Rock River you need to cut off the sling swivel mount, since the free float tube has the sling swivel mounted forward and goes under the front sight post where the original swivel sling mount was.

Rock River NM hand guard sleeve
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 2:20:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Mike & Hypersport,would I have to use a similar plastic forearm or could I go to a railed or cylindrical forearm.Was looking maybe to save some weight
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 4:45:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mike & Hypersport,would I have to use a similar plastic forearm or could I go to a railed or cylindrical forearm.Was looking maybe to save some weight
View Quote

Not sure what you mean by cylindrical.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 4:58:35 PM EDT
[#5]
It looks round
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 5:08:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It looks round
View Quote

I'm thinking that you might be looking for something such as this :http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/clk750.htm

Or this

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2695148877/lancer-systems-lch-free-float-tube-handguard-ar-15-vented-carbon-fiber
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 8:42:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah thats it.
Can you tell me why the barrel has to come off to accomplish Free Floating.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 9:21:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yeah thats it.
View Quote

1.Consistency in where your rounds are impacting.

2. It removes any sort of tension on the barrel,.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 7:39:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yeah thats it.
View Quote

Because you have to change the barrel nut with their supplied one.  And if you will need to remove front sight post or gas block to slide off the old barrel nut and slip on the new one.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 6:39:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Instalation:

Remove front sight base by driving out fsb pins. They drive out to the same side as the rifles ejection port. Drive them right out.

Then the sight is slid off the barrel some models of float tube will have a new barrel nut, while others will clamp to the existing barrel nut.

Some free float rails use bolts to attach the components, while others use a knurled ring and a strap wrench to put them into place.

When all installed, the front sight base is replaced and the pins driven back in.

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top