Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/6/2014 2:22:18 PM EDT
I've been wanting a "commando" type rifle for a long time, just think they look cool. Got the lower yesterday, had the barrel sitting for a few years now, & stole the upper and furniture from another project.

Gonna have to find a colt made A2 upper &  the correct furniture, but this is what I have right now.

Colt Law Enforcement Carbine lower
FN A2 upper ( Barrowed from another project )
Colt FA bolt
Colt 11.5'' commando barrel ( Going to stamp it. Cant stand the pinned long flash hider )
Colt Car stock & M4 handguards ( Looking for some skinny 6 hole handguards )
A.R.M.S. A2 plus mount. ( Looks cool & I've got an old Aimpoint somewhere )  

It's like a damn sickness. Just one more build. I'm enjoying the clones a lot more than the M4gery's.

Thank you
Matthew
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 8:43:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I love the purple hue of that upper.  I had an early 90's Bushy upper that was purple with matching slip ring.  I've been kicking myself for many years for selling that upper & slip ring
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 9:01:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I wanna get a black colt A2  upper for this one, so I can get this one back on my XM4 project. The color is different though. Wonder why there so purplish.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 5:50:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I've read here that the purple-ish hue is from the mfg not changing out the liquids(?) often enough during the anodizing process.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 10:59:44 AM EDT
[#4]
That's cool to know. Thank you
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 2:27:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Had an opportunity to buy a real Colt "A2" Commando at the OGCA show in Columbus ...back in 1988 for about 4K .  I passed because it was all A1 type stuff. The lower was an A1 marked as an A2 Commando...hence useless for anything else. The upper was also pure A1 with field sights only.  The barrel was 1/7 and 11.5" with A2 F/S.  Too much A1 for this boy !    Would have made one hell of an investment, but hindsight is always 20/20 !  
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 7:06:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Had an opportunity to but a real Colt "A2" Commando at the OGCA show in Columbus ...back in 1988 for about 4K .  I passed because it was all A1 type stuff. The lower was an A1 marked as an A2 Commando...hence useless for anything else. The upper was also pure A1 with field sights only.  The barrel was 1/7 and 11.5" with A2 F/S.  Too much A1 for this boy !    Would have made one hell of an investment, but hindsight is always 20/20 !  
View Quote

I've done one similar. Bought a SVD at a estate sale of an old farmer for 400. Wasn't really into guns & couldn't find ammo at the time. Traded it for a CD player. Was rather pissed at myself a few years later.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 10:53:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I've done one similar. Bought a SVD at a estate sale of an old farmer for 400. Wasn't really into guns & couldn't find ammo at the time. Traded it for a CD player. Was rather pissed at myself a few years later.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Had an opportunity to but a real Colt "A2" Commando at the OGCA show in Columbus ...back in 1988 for about 4K .  I passed because it was all A1 type stuff. The lower was an A1 marked as an A2 Commando...hence useless for anything else. The upper was also pure A1 with field sights only.  The barrel was 1/7 and 11.5" with A2 F/S.  Too much A1 for this boy !    Would have made one hell of an investment, but hindsight is always 20/20 !  

Yeah, that is the worst thing I have heard in a while..... thanks man.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 1:44:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Live and learn. Gained some knowledge from the deal, so no real regrets from it.

Then sometimes you get a good deal again. Picked up a Colt semi auto bolt & carrier,  Colt CM large hole  A2 upper receiver with a large head forward assist ( no barrel ) for under $150 today. Now I gotta make some pin bushings so I can use it on something.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 8:24:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Live and learn. Gained some knowledge from the deal, so no real regrets from it.

Then sometimes you get a good deal again. Picked up a Colt semi auto bolt & carrier,  Colt CM large hole  A2 upper receiver with a large head forward assist ( no barrel ) for under $150 today. Now I gotta make some pin bushings so I can use it on something.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can make your own bushing, but I've found it's much easier to get one from Brownell's or any of the vendors that carry it.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-action-parts/receiver-hardware/receiver-bushings/ar-15-m16-pivot-pin-adapter-bushing-prod24949.aspx

Link Posted: 7/10/2014 11:14:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah. My wife says the same thing, I'm just stubborn & like making my own stuff when I can
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top