Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2014 5:59:58 AM EDT
Does anyone know the size of the roll pin starter punch?  And if you can find one at Home Depot?  I'm having a hard time getting it started.  Thanks
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 7:03:11 AM EDT
[#1]
To get it started just hold it and tap it like you would a nail.  Once you get it just enough to stand on its own then use the roll pin punch.
I got my set at sportsmans warehouse, I'm not sure if home depot carries them- I would hope so.  I know walmart does not carry them.
Good luck.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:31:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I always tape my roll pins to the end of a cut-to-my-preferred-length brass rod with black electrician's tape.  I make the rod long enough so that I don't have to have the hammer anywhere near the receiver.  Line it up over the hole, and give it a good tap.  Starts it every time.

When the pin goes in far enough to start peeling the tape back, the tape bunches up and guards the finish surrounding the hole.  When it won't go in anymore, the pin will be flush. Peel the tape off and it's good to go.

I've done several like this, and it always works like a charm.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 3:36:07 AM EDT
[#3]
You can make a roll pin starter yourself take a steel rod and drill a hole a tad bigger than your roll pin about 1/8 in deep...
Insert the roll pin in the hole and give it a light tap or two until it's set in the hole...
Then use the roll pin punch to finish...
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 2:18:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I would recommend getting the right tools from Brownells. You'll have them forever, and you wont botch an job over waiting a couple days and $10 or whatever it comes to.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 6:41:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I have used these Guntec Hollow Starter Punches for my builds and they work great.
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 5:09:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I would recommend getting the right tools from Brownells. You'll have them forever, and you wont botch an job over waiting a couple days and $10 or whatever it comes to.

I bought the roll pin starters from Brownells... None of the holes in them fit the roll pins worth a damn... The holes are either way too big or to small to fit the pins correctly... This is why in my post I suggested getting a piece of steel rod and make your own starters... Sears should have roll pin punches on the store shelf there set is alright for $20ish... There is a better set on Amazon for bout the same money... Here is a link to those  

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003L7HOMG/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 11:23:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I got these from Midway:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/694883/schuster-ar-15-roll-pin-starter-punch-set-2-piece-steel?cm_vc=ProductFinding
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top