Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/15/2011 12:09:04 PM EDT
i really like the reliability of the A1/A2 carry handle but would want to mount a red dot or ACOG up top.

what's the concensus on the cheek weld of a high mounted optic, vs typical flat top mounted optic cheek weld?
which one has more stability, repeatable positioning, etc. that kind of stuff.
i'd love to hear opinions.

hope this is the right place to ask...

thanks,
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 4:54:26 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're going the red dot route, you could get a gooseneck mount, and get a good cheek weld instead of a chin weld.  For an acog, I think I would go A3, but that's just me.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 5:29:56 PM EDT
[#2]
+1 gooseneck mount. It puts the sight on the same plane as your iron sights by extending a rail forwards of the carry handle. This is a member's AR:

Link Posted: 11/15/2011 6:49:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Years ago I mounted a cheap red dot onto a carry handle adapter (standard see-through type). I thought it was pretty jingus the way it sat so high, but I zeroed it in at 50 and it actually shot really well. I did always have some trouble keeping it tight, but I put a star washer on the screw and torqued it a bit with pliers. My main concern always was, with the taller sight height it would be very important to keep the weapon vertical i.e. not leaning to the side. To me that seemed like it would be very inaccurate, but the way a rifle tucks into your shoulder, and with the pistol grip also, it seemed to naturally fall into place, repeatable as we say. As for the weld, it was kind of in between cheek and chin, let me just call it a jaw weld. You know, for plinking with a red dot, I never had to get too uptight about my jaw weld, just took a quick look down the hole and bang. Now for more precision shooting, I definitely like a firm cheek weld, and a gooseneck would be better, but that I have never used.
EDIT: I would like to add one thing, I used this set-up exclusively for off-hand shooting...bench & prone I found it too high to be comfortable.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 6:53:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 8:41:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Since the first 4x Chinese Colt copy on the carry handle in the late 90's I've had some sort of magnified optic on there. Right now it's a Leupold 1-4x I had the Custom Shop set up just for that use. All that's needed is about a 5/8" rise on the stock, and with the thumb nut tightened with a punch I've had zero issues. The height hasn't been a bother in any shooting position for me. It works very naturally for offhand shooting. My riser and scope/mount comes off in seconds when I want to keep it simple.

If you rarely use irons or have them as backup only the flat top makes a lot more sense.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 12:42:14 PM EDT
[#6]
There are detachable risers for M4 type stocks out there. I have one on my A2, but it is in Florida for safe keeping.This isn't my AR but the chin rest looks very similar to this..

I will look around for you, I cannot recall exactly where I found it.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 4:44:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I mounted a Primary Arms 3x compact a couple of weeks ago...........so far so good
My ACS stock offers a good consistent heads up chin weld....comfortable and easily repeatable for me...everybody's different.
http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n602/Daveinnh/DSCF0735.jpg
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 10:20:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm a big fan of KISS and the carry handle on an AR.  I've tried just about every optic option on the carry handle and never found one that worked to my satisfaction.  Optics belong on a flat-top.  

Yep. Flat top uppers would be a better choice for mounting optics. No need to deal with the disadvantages of carry handle mounts when flat tops exist.
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 7:43:07 AM EDT
[#9]
You could cut down a beater CH for an LMT style BUIS, leave it mounted and run a red dot co-witnessed. Personally I like the new, ltwt 'mini' red dots, and am seriously considering a couple from Vector - one for my M1 carbine and one for the 'Commando' SBR I'm working on. I already have the beater CH I plan to cut down. (THis is what they did with the first Mk18's). The nice thing about the carry handle is you can have three optics - you can mount a red dot on the CH which can be removed, then drop on a scope, such as a 1x-4x or Triijicon pretty quickly. Whichever optic is removed can go in the pack. People bitch about the cheek weld thing, but the carry handle seems quicker coming up from a carry position to me than a flat top. In a fight, being able to get the dot or sight or whatever onto the guy on the other side of the two-way range seems more critical to me than cheek weld issues, but that's me. I've seen a surprising number of pics of weapons setup this way - so the CH is not dead. BTW - if you do use a cutdown CH, make sure it's a 6/3 for a carbine.
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 8:37:28 AM EDT
[#10]

This works well for me, though accessing the A2 sights is not exactly easy.

Link Posted: 11/24/2011 9:30:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Slottman,

That 727-style configuration is what I'm doing on one of my builds right now, but with the rifle-length tube and reflex can, plus FSB pocket cut.  I've got the John Masen recoil pad on the way, as well as the correct stock with ribs.  Already have my receivers, barrel, tube, and other parts.

What A.R.M.S. carrying handle mount is that?

Any suggestions on where to get the Aimpoint 5000?  I just saw one offered for $150 + mount on Sniper's Hide.
Link Posted: 11/25/2011 9:07:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Its an ARMS #2

I bought it used online. No idea where to get one. Personally, I am going to replace it with a modern Aimpoint, as the battery life sucks.

Link Posted: 11/25/2011 10:45:51 AM EDT
[#13]
When you say sucks, what kinda hours are we talking?
Link Posted: 11/25/2011 11:01:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
When you say sucks, what kinda hours are we talking?

Well, when you forget to turn it off, its dead the next weekend.

Link Posted: 11/25/2011 9:17:34 PM EDT
[#15]
The replacement is the 9000. The electronics are on par with their other current offerings. I sold my 5000 a year or two ago. I had an old 1st gen. Comp as well. The batteries went dead on both pretty often The 9000 could basically just be left on with no worries.
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 5:13:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Thursday TV showed troops having Thanksgiving in Bagdad. The troops I saw were carrying A2 rifles with Aimpoints mounted on goosenecks.
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 9:48:32 AM EDT
[#17]
It appears the aimpoint gooseneck is compatible with many of their models including the M4S.

Link Posted: 11/26/2011 9:54:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Thursday TV showed troops having Thanksgiving in Bagdad. The troops I saw were carrying A2 rifles with Aimpoints mounted on goosenecks.

The original M68 kits came with the gooseneck, the QRP, and a spacer for flattop use.

Link Posted: 11/26/2011 2:28:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The original M68 kits came with the gooseneck, the QRP, and a spacer for flattop use.

Still does, the new goose neck adds a bolt on the front  to mitigate some of the problems the old goose neck had of coming loose.
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 4:09:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I have an old Tasco Red Dot mounted on my A2 carbine carry handle. It keeps it's zero. I remove it every time I shoot it has it wont fit in the case with it on. But you got to make sure you tighten down good.
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 11:33:31 PM EDT
[#21]
(Way) back in the days before the first custom gun shop milled off a carry handle and bolted on a weaver base in its place, the carry handle mount was the only way to mount an optic.

We got used to getting a good "chin weld" and it worked, became second nature to switch from optic to iron.

Its just different is all.

Edited for grammar, spelling, punctuation and syntax.
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 6:01:20 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a Colt 4x mounted on a BM. Works well for me.

Link Posted: 11/28/2011 11:36:20 AM EDT
[#23]
My set-up. Everyone in the AR forums says it's wrong but it's never been an issue.

I plan on getting one of these (the M4 stock was just something I already had and the riser a  temporary solution)

...and that ought to be it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2011 11:48:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My set-up. Everyone in the AR forums says it's wrong but it's never been an issue.
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u40/Ricky_a_photos/IMG_3458.jpg

I plan on getting one of these (the M4 stock was just something I already had and the riser a  temporary solution)
http://www.themakogroup.com/v/vspfiles/photos/GL-ShockCP-2T.jpg
...and that ought to be it.

No more wrong than my RO723 clone with Aimpoint 5000 carry handle mounted that I love shooting - so light and handy.  Just not the best option available.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still does, the new goose neck adds a bolt on the front  to mitigate some of the problems the old goose neck had of coming loose.

The product improved gooseneck only mitigates the problem slight, IMHO.  

The bolt on front only solves the problem of the whole thing falling off - it doesn't do much to combat the vibration which travel through the cantilevered mount and loosen the screw - resulting in loss of zero almost certainly, and usually, eventual loss of the screw.  

Standard carry handle mounts are far superior in my opinion, if at the expense of proper cheek weld, they seem less prone to vibrating themselves off.

~Augee
Link Posted: 11/28/2011 1:47:13 PM EDT
[#25]
I know its an ARMS product, but anyone looked at these?

51C%20A1A2]gooseneck / rail

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top