Site Notices
Page / 37
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 3:26:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ban-hater:

Own it man, own it!!
View Quote
I can't Sir. I faked and flaked: too humble here.
Too many before us showed us the way, Sir.

Just complying, Sir!

ETA Damn page ownage. Wasn't prepared for this, old pic

Colt - Nodak A2 Clone
by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 3:29:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By JJREA:
I'm not sure I can take it much longer.  I NEED an A1 of some flavor.  LOL.  You're not helping.  I might be willing to sell my recce to do it.  What belt is that in you last pic?
View Quote
You better start saving dad. Yes I know, family 'n' all: got two children, too!

Once they're fed, get yourself a good ole A1 and let's call it a day. Yes?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:23:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By SoloDallas:
You better start saving dad. Yes I know, family 'n' all: got two children, too!

Once they're fed, get yourself a good ole A1 and let's call it a day. Yes?
View Quote
It really would complete my collection of US Army Rifles.  I have Springfield Trapdoor, 03A3, Garand, M-1 Carbine, M1A, A2, M4gery.   I know I'm missing a few others.  Maybe a 1917..  A regular ole 03 would be sweet.   I don't really care about Krags....  Not sure what else I would need.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:18:22 PM EDT
[#4]

It really would complete my collection of US Army Rifles.  I have Springfield Trapdoor, 03A3, Garand, M-1 Carbine, M1A, A2, M4gery.   I know I'm missing a few others.  Maybe a 1917..  A regular ole 03 would be sweet.   I don't really care about Krags....  Not sure what else I would need.
View Quote
Then again, we have time. We shouldn't rush amassing gear. 

You have an amazing collection! I didn't know you had all those. I lack Trapdoor (would be nice to have), M1A and the M1917 as well (I prefer M1903s and have a couple). 

I like Krags but don't care much having one as well.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:01:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Truth be told, I dig shooting the 03A3 far more than the Garand.  I guess I'm just weird.  I've never shot the trapdoor.  My Dad got it from the "DCM" when he was a kid.  I guess that's like what the CMP used to be called.  Or something like that.  

Now the M1A, that thing is accurate.  But it's a loaded.  A standard model balances better.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:24:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#6]
Truth be told, I dig shooting the 03A3 far more than the Garand.  I guess I'm just weird.  I've never shot the trapdoor.  My Dad got it from the "DCM" when he was a kid.  I guess that's like what the CMP used to be called.  Or something like that.  

Now the M1A, that thing is accurate.  But it's a loaded.  A standard model balances better.
View Quote
I am the same. I just love bolt action rifles. I wasn't kidding you when I told you I like classics.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:04:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By JJREA:  My Dad got it from the "DCM" when he was a kid.  I guess that's like what the CMP used to be called.  Or something like that.
View Quote
Previously:

Director of
Civilian
Marksmanship.

Currently:

Civilian
Marksmanship
Program
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:48:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah it was DCM when it was actually "the government", but someone didn't like the idea of the government distributing firearms directly to civilians, so they setup a private non-profit (CMP) to receive the weapons from the Army/DLA and then redistribute them. 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:54:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#9]
I am the same. I just love bolt action rifles. I wasn't kidding you when I told you I like classics.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/326068/guns-236902.JPG
View Quote
Which one you like the best?  (bolt actions)  I have a sporterized mauser that was my step Dads and I shot a few deer with it and I just got it back because my Mom is moving and cleaning out stuff (Step Father passed away).  And the 03A3's action is about 17 hundred times smoother and faster to cycle.  I don't know if the Mauser is gummed up or if it was always like that.  I can't remember.  It takes a good bit of force to cycle it.  Has a nice weaver K4 on it.  

I need to do a family pic like that.   One of those progression pics with the rifles in historical order.  

Pic thread (lest anyone has a crap fit about my stance, I was doing kind of a contest with my friend and trying to be real accurate off hand.  So I took up a sort of HiPower-ish stance).   You know SoloDallas, as much as I want an A1, I don't really need it.  This gun is so much fun to shoot.  I'm not sure I'd like an A1 as much as my A2.  Probably would buck more.  This you can just go pew pew pew and stay on target.  LOL.  

Here's that Mauser (I'm sort of anti german stuff since my Grandpa died fighting them.  But whatever, I shot my first two deer with that gun, so it holds a special place that way)

Tanks for the DCM explanation guys.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:56:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#10]
Dayum I love your Colt A2. 

The A3. My favorite of these bolt actions I have is the A3; it's sweet, smooth, light (lighter than the other M1903, which is an all original Springfield from 1923) and the rear sights are fantastic (as you know)

ETA oh and unrelated pic to pic thread (shooting another M1903 I sold years ago)

Shooting 1918 Rock Island M1903, 30-06
by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:58:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#11]
It's the only rifle I've ever shot at 600 yards and I was hitting the big black bull with it.  I was pretty blown away.  I was just using American Eagle 150 grain FMJ.

ETA:  HOT!!!!  Love that.  I put my A3 in a scant stock and haven't shot it in it yet.  I guess that's the one I need to take out for remembrance of my Grandpa's KIA in Normandy on July 27th.  Or the next time I get to the range.  

I like my A2 the best out of any AR.  I keep trying to like carbines and I just don't really.  LOL.  I know they are more useful in tighter spaces.  And it's not like I hate them.  But the sights suck for my aging eyes and I really like the A1 type stock the best.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:59:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#12]
It's the only rifle I've ever shot at 600 yards and I was hitting the big black bull with it.  I was pretty blown away.  I was just using American Eagle 150 grain FMJ.
View Quote
'Merican rifles, Sir!!!

ETA Can you PLEASE repost pics of that A2 of yours? Both sides
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:04:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I need find a pic or take one of the other side.  I put the Colt A2 grip back on.  It's pretty much all original except I swapped an A1 stock with an A2 buttplate.  That 5/8" makes it like perfection to me.  

Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:11:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#14]
I need find a pic or take one of the other side.  I put the Colt A2 grip back on.  It's pretty much all original except I swapped an A1 stock with an A2 buttplate.  That 5/8" makes it like perfection to me.  

http://i.imgur.com/QgN1TmH.jpg
View Quote
Nice 

ETA Since I guess we like Muskets...

Muskets
by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:44:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Is this a private party or can anyone join?

Complete FN M16A2 upper and furniture (came from a kit with everything except lower receiver), LRB Arms M15SA lower, 3-point sling and mag pouch from the A2 I carried on deployment to Bosnia in 2001.

Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:45:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By grondike:
Is this a private party or can anyone join?

Complete FN M16A2 upper and furniture (came from a kit with everything except lower receiver), LRB Arms M15SA lower, 3-point sling and mag pouch from the A2 I carried on deployment to Bosnia in 2001.

http://www.narruc.net/Public/pix/fn-a2.jpg
View Quote
Join in, brother!

The moar A2, the bettah (nice A2!)
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:43:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#17]
Yessirreebob, that is awesome.  Thanks for deploying and serving!!!!

The other side for you.  I'm not getting as good of pics as you are.  LOL.  That's not too bad of lens on my canon but no tripod....

Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:45:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#18]
Yessirreebob, that is awesome.  Thanks for deploying and serving!!!!

The other side for you.  I'm not getting as good of pics as you are.  LOL.  That's not too bad of lens on my canon but no tripod....
http://i.imgur.com/GYfsC9w.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/dz2hjUn.jpg
View Quote
Quite frankly? Pretty fucking awesome 

(ETA Jesus I love that grey)
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:48:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#19]
Is it me or are your guys' handguards fatter than mine?  A friend gave me a pair because I was thinking of attaching a rail piece so I can mount a light when I want to.  But the ones he gave me are fatter and I'm not sure if I like that.......

Why thank you!!!!!    The action is the smoothest action I've ever felt on an AR.  It's like butter.  I guess : Colt......

Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:50:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Is it me or are your guys' handguards fatter than mine?  A friend gave me a pair because I was thinking of attaching a rail piece so I can mount a light when I want to.  But the ones he gave me are fatter and I'm not sure if I like that.......
View Quote
I like 'em fatter - yours look identical to mine (I left the original Colt the upper came with) but I have a few spares and the ones you have on look identical?

I like them a little fatter than slimmer - anyway, if that was ever the case.
Matter of fact, I love so much A1 handguards. 
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:50:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#21]
Just more of the same.
Got another Stock (Colt, USGI) and it came with all Colt parts (buffer, buffer tube and spring, screws etc.). It's even a better fit than before (and still, previous stock itself on its own was early Colt USGI as well, just like this one).
I also weathered some parts (sanded) in order for the finish to look less shining and new. I dislike new-looking rifles. Especially clones. It's subtle, but it's that subtlety that will give any finish more of a three dimensional look.

I shot it yesterday and I have to say, she's so sweet. Such mild recoil. 20 inchers - classics - like this one are certainly my favorite. 

I am really addicted to this little rifle.

Colt - Nodak A2 Clone
by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:09:20 PM EDT
[#22]
My goodness.  Looks great.  Something about the California sun shining on it.  LOL.  

I do think it's small, but I think your handguards are a tiny bit bigger than mine.   From my eyeballs....
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:04:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Erik Winter at Windham Weaponry recently built this DCM Rifle for me.

Link Posted: 6/29/2017 6:02:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#24]
Originally Posted By GI_Brat:

http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/4382/image003-1--241311.jpg
http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/4382/image004-1--241310.jpg
View Quote
Very nice.
Is it black or grey? Can't tell
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 11:16:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Looks black to me.   You are in an elite crowd when you get the grey.   LOL.  Just kidding.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 11:25:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#26]
double tap
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 11:42:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Elite is grey, with the original large round forward assist, and peel washer! 
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 8:14:40 AM EDT
[#28]

View Quote
Very nice.

Would they assemble just the upper or do they only build complete rifles?
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 8:33:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Very nice.
Is it black or grey? Can't tell
View Quote
Black
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 8:38:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By MikeE23666:

Very nice.

Would they assemble just the upper or do they only build complete rifles?
View Quote
Thanks!

Windham Weaponry does offer complete uppers. Call Matt Hasty in customer service, he'll be able to set it up.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 4:40:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#31]
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 6:30:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By KitBuilder:
Elite is grey, with the original large round forward assist, and peel washer! 
View Quote
Ugh, I guess I'm less then elite.  More like...  salivator class.....  
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 6:32:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Niiiiiice.  Although that pistol has to be  on the ears indoors.  I don't think I've ever shot a 5.56 indoors or was around someone that did.   Probably not as bad as a .44 magnum.....  Maybe.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 10:44:32 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote
Ooh. Is the FSB pinned or set screwed?
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 12:53:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Ugh, I guess I'm less then elite.  More like...  salivator class.....  
View Quote
Me too. Mine doesn't have those features, except for the peel washer. 
http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/13082/M16A2-M9-199793.JPG
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 8:44:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:

Ooh. Is the FSB pinned or set screwed?
View Quote
Set screwed on the bottom.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 9:55:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#37]
You pussies. Bump the effing thread!

Muskets - 3
by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 11:42:31 AM EDT
[#38]
What exactly IS that gun.   That's not a brown bess is it?  I don't think it's a Kentucky rifle.  But technically it's some kind of Flintlock, right?
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 11:44:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#39]
What exactly IS that gun.   That's not a brown bess is it?  I don't think it's a Kentucky rifle.  But technically it's some kind of Flintlock, right?
View Quote
Brother! Good to see you.
Brown Bess, but shorter length. That's exactly what it is. Pedersoli makes it - I have both lengths, the standard (original one) and this shorter model, supposedly a ship Brown Bess. 

They also used it on Pirates of the Caribbean for this reason. 

ETA: found old picture of mine

Brown Besses
by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 12:02:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Nice bump Solo!  I got to visit the Alamo for the first time a few days ago.  They have several displays of rifles up.  That was a great experience for our family.  Highly recommended for anyone in the San Antonio area.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 12:11:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By imdBman:
Nice bump Solo!  I got to visit the Alamo for the first time a few days ago.  They have several displays of rifles up.  That was a great experience for our family.  Highly recommended for anyone in the San Antonio area.
View Quote
That was superb of you and yours to do such a patriotic thing. 
Stay safe, brother - and more muskets to us! 
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 6:29:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Miami_JBT] [#42]
My newest.... LEO Letterhead ban era Bushmaster XM15-ES2 HBAR.

Paid $350 for it.

Ain't changing a thing to it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 6:31:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Since photbucket screwed everything up, here's a couple of photos of my A2. I wanted a rifle like the one I carried as a young Paratrooper in the 82nd. The lower is an 80% lower from Sherwood Armory. Everything else is Del-Ton except the furniture, that is surplus from Sarco Arms

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 8:42:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By wjoutlaw:
Since photbucket screwed everything up, here's a couple of photos of my A2. I wanted a rifle like the one I carried as a young Paratrooper in the 82nd. The lower is an 80% lower from Sherwood Armory. Everything else is Del-Ton except the furniture, that is surplus from Sarco Arms

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/284782/a2-276886.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/284782/a2_2-276887.JPG
View Quote
Very nice!
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 12:36:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#45]
Originally Posted By wjoutlaw:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/284782/a2-276886.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/284782/a2_2-276887.JPG
View Quote
Niiiiiiiice.  Very nice and thank you for serving!!!!

Very nice MiamiJBT!!!!!

This has turned out to be a great page.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 12:46:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Agree, very nice rifles.
I'm still abroad and miss my A2 so much.

Colt - Nodak A2 Clone
by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 2:16:20 PM EDT
[#47]
I can see why....

You lost points with me for having Brown Besses.  LOL...   But I guess I should give you some slack since you're from across the pond.  

I'll try not to hold it against you.    Actually, I won't.  Your contributions to the threads are amazing, so I guess we can put up with your enemy flintlocks.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:50:47 AM EDT
[#48]
I can see why....

You lost points with me for having Brown Besses.  LOL...   But I guess I should give you some slack since you're from across the pond.  

I'll try not to hold it against you.    Actually, I won't.  Your contributions to the threads are amazing, so I guess we can put up with your enemy flintlocks.
View Quote
But... butt... brah, those were American captures

Link Posted: 8/14/2017 11:24:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#49]
I'm no history expert, so I wasn't sure if what I said was even correct or not.    LOL.  I just thought generally speaking we used the Kentucky rifle and it was better cuz it had rifling.  And the brown bess doesn't.   ??????  Captures......  LOL.  They might have a lot urine soaked into the stock then.  

I still don't like German guns, so....  I'm biased like that.    Which is a shame because they make good guns.  

Gotta love the cheapy flashlight.....    It's an old pic......

Link Posted: 8/14/2017 11:25:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#50]
Woot! Purty!

Colt - Nodak A2 Clone
by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Page / 37
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top