BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 77
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 11:00:01 AM EDT
[#1]
They probably did it because thats what they had imo.  Early GWOT  was very cowboy
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 11:00:40 AM EDT
[#2]
They probably did it because thats what they had imo.  Early GWOT  was very cowboy
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 12:24:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ex11A:

I was in a forward deployed infantry unit at that time.  We only had the shorter black nylon sling for the M16A2.  It is shorter and rougher than the current M4 sling.  My recommendation would be that to make it fit a 723 carbine, it would be paired with an ALICE pack quick release shoulder strap as mentioned above or the strap from a top mount sling adapter kit that was being issued at that time.  It's what I have on my 723 build. It may look a little odd, but it is re-purposing a sling kit that was issued at that time.  Looking at some of the Gothic Serpent pics on here, I believe some of the guys are using that sling adapter strap and M16 sling.  

I only saw the older cargo straps on 2 quart canteen pouches and maybe spare barrel bags for machine guns.
View Quote

Thanks! I’ll look for that adapter kit.

Does anyone know if more of the 3 piece collar kits will be made? Looks like D Wilson is out of the Allen Engineering ones.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 8:17:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Finally got a shipping notification via USPS for what I'm assuming is the Smith Ent. mount I ordered two weeks ago. Looks like it'll be here by Saturday. For anyone looking for a less-expensive and possibly quicker turnaround time, @Brandonbeezy sent me a PM last week with a link to this GG&G carry-handle mount. He's got a few and says they're rock-solid. They're also dirt-cheap at $25.

I dropped the Leupold 30mm vertical splits off for Cerakoting, aaand the John Masen recoil pad should show up by then as well. Annoying little sidebar -- How fk'n frustrating is it when a part you ordered shows up and you realize you ordered the exact wrong shit? Rhetorical question. The Masen recoil pad I ordered through Brownell's is for M16 stocks, so after I send this damn thing back for a refund, I stand to recover about $8 back after shipping and all. So fucking annoying.

That's all I got for now.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 8:52:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Jackson1:

Thanks! I’ll look for that adapter kit.

Does anyone know if more of the 3 piece collar kits will be made? Looks like D Wilson is out of the Allen Engineering ones.
View Quote

I emailed D. Wilson the other week.  He said the collars were a 1 time deal with no plans to sell more.  Not sure if he’s still selling the uppers with them.  Your best bet would be the EE at this point.  I emailed ECCO to see if they’d make something like that.  They said no plans to ever make them.

On the subject of carry handles mounts, I have 2 of these:

https://stores.versapod.com/usts-m16-ar15-carry-handle-mount/

They fit well in the carry handle channel and it’s the only current manufactured one I found that has weaver rather than picatinny.  It seems pretty similar to an old ARMS version I have.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 10:33:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By m1afan1000:

I emailed D. Wilson the other week.  He said the collars were a 1 time deal with no plans to sell more.  Not sure if he's still selling the uppers with them.  Your best bet would be the EE at this point.  I emailed ECCO to see if they'd make something like that.  They said no plans to ever make them.

On the subject of carry handles mounts, I have 2 of these:

https://stores.versapod.com/usts-m16-ar15-carry-handle-mount/

They fit well in the carry handle channel and it's the only current manufactured one I found that has weaver rather than picatinny.  It seems pretty similar to an old ARMS version I have.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/147863/682D0C88-2E9E-43A5-9050-36359D1B1FF5_jpe-2099170.JPG
View Quote

Shit I thought @unclemoak was doing reproduction collars, and they were readily available. My bad.

Now, back on the subject of carry-handle mounts, why would one rather use the older Weaver-style rather than pic? I'm assuming Weaver is clone and pic is not, and that being the only true reason. Pic obviously gives you better mounting solutions in terms of positioning the optic but if you're using an Aimpoint of some flavor, positioning really only matters for aesthetics.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 10:43:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:

Shit I thought @unclemoak was doing reproduction collars, and they were readily available. My bad.

Now, back on the subject of carry-handle mounts, why would one rather use the older Weaver-style rather than pic? I'm assuming Weaver is clone and pic is not, and that being the only true reason. Pic obviously gives you better mounting solutions in terms of positioning the optic but if you're using an Aimpoint of some flavor, positioning really only matters for aesthetics.
View Quote

I think you're on track. Since yours isn't strictly a clone, GG&G will fulfill your needs.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 10:48:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By CMCctx:

I think you're on track. Since yours isn't strictly a clone, GG&G will fulfill your needs.
View Quote

The Smith is finally OTW or else I probably would've gotten the GG&G and saved about $85. Oh well, the Smith has an NSN# so that's coo.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 10:57:25 AM EDT
[#9]

The Smith is finally OTW or else I probably would've gotten the GG&G and saved about $85. Oh well, the Smith has an NSN# so that's coo.
View Quote

I'm glad someone else is boldly going non-clone. I think I have an idea to remove my old KAC RIS and use a chopped DD RIS II carbine, but still use the Aimpoint 5000 and split rings on an A.R.M.S. #2 with the D. Wilson 3 piece spicy collar.

Every day I stray further from Eugene Stoner's grace
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 11:52:15 AM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

Pretty much only for clone purposes.  I think picatinny was used as well.  There’s pictures of rifles with extended carry handle mounts and variable scopes on them.  The mount hangs a good couple inches forward of the carry handle. I think augee had one.

I kind of want to do an ARMs bilevel 12.5 FSB with AEM 5 and Aimpoint 5000.  Waaaaay on the back burner though.  Plus, no AEM5 is a barrier to that.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 10:49:48 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

No sir. One time deal, we sold them all aside from a few remaining that are going on complete uppers.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 11:03:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By unclemoak:

No sir. One time deal, we sold them all aside from a few remaining that are going on complete uppers.
View Quote

I still can't believe that I was lucky enough to not only get one on the accidental listing on the site, but then for real the next week when they were actually live. That was a stupid stressful week
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 1:08:47 AM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

When do you think the complete uppers will be available?
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 2:28:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RTUtah] [#14]
Bros, finally got the Smith Ent. mount in the mail today. I would imagine y'all will finally get yours either today or tomorrow. It's quality for sure, and the engravings are very shallow at the front end on the right side; you can barely see the NSN etc. Mine already has a few nicks in the anodizing but IDGAF since I'll be hitting the whole carbine with a fresh coat of Tan Obliterating Compound.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 1:56:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Done.

Link Posted: 9/26/2021 2:11:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 2:31:30 PM EDT
[#17]

Absolutely beautiful!

When did the corn cob come out?
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 2:56:13 PM EDT
[#18]

@RTUtah I give up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

@RTUtah I give up.

Originally Posted By Brandonbeezy:

Absolutely beautiful!

When did the corn cob come out?

It's been in service since sometime in the mid 1990s.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 3:21:11 PM EDT
[#19]

It's been in service since sometime in the mid 1990s.
View Quote

Bro no one can tell me this isn't a plausible clone for some late 90s stud
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 3:37:10 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

Concept clone. That was the idea. I've got an AEM5 but I wanted to use something shorter.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 3:44:11 PM EDT
[#21]

Concept clone. That was the idea. I've got an AEM5 but I wanted to use something shorter.
View Quote

I guess thats kinda what mine is too.

Your rifle is sick man
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 4:12:19 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

This is something I imagine a young pat mac looking dude with a sweet 90’s stache packing… 100% plausible
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 5:29:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By rbutcher:

This is something I imagine a young pat mac looking dude with a sweet 90’s stache packing… 100% plausible
View Quote

just add a G-wagen with a switch to turn off one side of the lights lol, dudes a beast
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 12:21:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RTUtah] [#24]
Battle of the Black Sea + 28 years.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/3/2021 12:37:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 2:46:13 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

Same date as my fathers passing. Only +2 years.  As I pay a visit today I will say a little prayer for the boys too.

Link Posted: 10/3/2021 3:13:37 PM EDT
[#27]

Just finished adding the light and Aimpoint the other day. Found a NOS Colt Weaver carry handle rail, and a Z41 tail cap for the light.

Link Posted: 10/3/2021 3:54:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Where are yall getting the white light mount? Also, any pics with a paq4c or peq2?
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 6:01:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By KavonTN:
Where are yall getting the white light mount? Also, any pics with a paq4c or peq2?
View Quote

I got my complete SF 660 setup off eBay; wasn't cheap but it is the right light package.

Irene.

Link Posted: 10/3/2021 6:57:49 PM EDT
[#30]

I got my complete SF 660 setup off eBay; wasn't cheap but it is the right light package.

Irene.

https://i.imgur.com/RWWQOLX.jpg
View Quote

One last touch is the Bicycle Inner tube wrapped around the PG that Delta often did.
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 7:05:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 2:30:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Not clone correct but got my sandman k and it needed a good home
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 1:15:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Work in progress.  Picked up the upper from a member on EE.  I've had the AEM5 for almost 5 years and maybe shot it twice, hopefully with a few more hosts it will make it to the range more often.  Have a carry handle mount on the way, I'll probably go with an Aimpoint PRO, instead of tracking down an older model.  So it will get to something like a BHD Gordon Carbine, but more of the movie version.

Link Posted: 10/11/2021 6:16:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JLAudio] [#34]
here is my upper. barrel is a colt take off 16 inch cut down by d. wilson

Link Posted: 10/11/2021 6:27:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By JLAudio:

https://i.imgur.com/4ZQCyCz.jpg
View Quote

Looks great!
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 6:44:03 PM EDT
[#36]

Looks great!
View Quote

you did a great job!
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 7:34:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By freeride1:
Work in progress.  Picked up the upper from a member on EE.  I've had the AEM5 for almost 5 years and maybe shot it twice, hopefully with a few more hosts it will make it to the range more often.  Have a carry handle mount on the way, I'll probably go with an Aimpoint PRO, instead of tracking down an older model.  So it will get to something like a BHD Gordon Carbine, but more of the movie version.
https://i.imgur.com/NCCgQ4P.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/5nv4aXI.jpg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By freeride1:
https://i.imgur.com/NCCgQ4P.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/5nv4aXI.jpg

Get yourself a 9000SC. Looks the part and can be had for less than an older model like the 5000.

https://i.imgur.com/4ZQCyCz.jpg

Bravo!
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 8:02:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CMCctx] [#38]

Get yourself a 9000SC. Looks the part and can be had for less than an older model like the 5000.

Bravo!
View Quote

I agree wholly. Hell, I'm often tempted to get a 9000SC and offload my 5000. Like a few times a week it goes through my head.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 7:40:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Brandonbeezy] [#39]

I agree wholly. Hell, I'm often tempted to get a 9000SC and offload my 5000. Like a few times a week it goes through my head.
View Quote

Do
It
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 5:03:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Here in Sweden older models from Aimpoint often shows up for sale. Wich models are interesting? I could keep an eye on things and let you know
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 6:01:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By PeterS:
Here in Sweden older models from Aimpoint often shows up for sale. Wich models are interesting? I could keep an eye on things and let you know
View Quote

3000, 5000 in black, non-xd, non-2x versions
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 6:22:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By utahvarminter:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By utahvarminter:

And especially Aimpoint 2000s.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 11:19:21 PM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

I'm interested in finding some more Comp M red dots.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 1:56:08 PM EDT
[#44]
There are a few Aimpoint 5000 for sale here, between 100 and 150 dollars
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 1:58:47 PM EDT
[#45]
There are a few Aimpoint 5000 for sale here, between 100 and 150 dollars
View Quote
You could probably make a nice profit selling them on the EE for double that.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 2:29:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PeterS] [#46]
Originally Posted By Theodoric:
You could probably make a nice profit selling them on the EE for double that.
View Quote

I just found one for 50 bucks
I have no wish to make money. But I could help a fellow gun-nerd
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 2:55:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Ron posted in my thread in his facebook group that he is doing another run of the collars.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 8:13:58 PM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes

Ron posted in my thread in his facebook group that he is doing another run of the collars.

Awesome x 2!
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 4:57:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: j17036] [#49]
Haven't seen this posted anywhere else and this thread seems appropriate but if anyone was looking for well priced new GI 6 hole handguards...

https://www.venturesurplus.com/products/used-m4-carbine-heat-shield-set/

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 3:55:50 PM EDT
[#50]
How does the 9000sc compare to the aimpoint pro?  sight picture wise,  is it like looking down narow tube or about the same?
Page / 77
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top