User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 77
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 5:14:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Buck_Naked] [#1]
@Flyit14

No affiliation, but how about this for the rear sight assembly?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/819354424
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 7:42:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Buck_Naked:
@Flyit14

No affiliation, but how about this for the rear sight assembly?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/819354424
View Quote
Perfect! Thanks man!

Now only if I could get lucky with the aimpoint. Haha
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 10:17:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Flyit14:
http://i.imgur.com/0OItyTI.jpg

Been a while since I checked on this thread. This is the current state of my attempt at cloning Gary Gordon's suppressed 723.

I painted it like the movie one for fun. But this is a C7 upper. Unlike the movie guns A2.

Mine is a 12.5" barrel to mount the aem5 as close to the FSB as possible. The real one was probably a 14.5" barrel with an ops Inc 3rd model. But this is as close as I'm going to get.

Now I need to track down an A1 rear sight assembly and and aimpoint 5000 and mount. No luck finding one recently.
View Quote
You're going to hate what I'm working on. Not Gordon's but close, was hanging in the balance depending on which Aimpoint I ended up finding, and I landed a really nice 3000.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 10:31:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Flyit14] [#4]
Originally Posted By lancecriminal86:

You're going to hate what I'm working on. Not Gordon's but close, was hanging in the balance depending on which Aimpoint I ended up finding, and I landed a really nice 3000.
View Quote
Haha where'd you find it? I have a well used but functional 5000 on another build.

Debating if I should move it over or not. It has some really honest wear though so I don't want to paint it.

I'd even take a silver one so I wouldn't care about painting it camo
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 3:41:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Flyit14] [#5]
Here it is with the can attached. Still debating on if I want to paint the can. Not sure how hope depot camo paint will handle the heat.

And here is where my aimpoint lives. I have to redo the float tube to make the holes line up but thats the general idea.

Link Posted: 6/25/2019 5:00:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Haha where'd you find it? I have a well used but functional 5000 on another build.

Debating if I should move it over or not. It has some really honest wear though so I don't want to paint it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Well, I will say that you might hate it that some OG style barrels are coming from Ron Allen, with old style collars and everything, to replicate the old 723 and 727s with the original OPS Inc can (not actually the 3rd Model, older). It'll be a 12.5", has a 3 piece collar where the 2 old style parts slip over the tapered collar so it looks like the old clamp on 2 and 3 piece ones.

Honestly, stick with what you got. I'm still waiting for more clarification as to the actual status and configuration of MSG Gordon's 723 in terms of paint and if it was a 5000. It probably was because per Augee most of SFOD had 5K by then, with a small sprinkling of 3K around. But the paint seems to have always been a question, whether he painted the whole gun, just the handguards and stock, or if it was just black. Same with Shughart's M14/M21, did it have a scope vs an Aimpoint 3K or 5K. I keep hearing there will someday be something that will shine some light on the issue but I've yet to hear it actually coming out.

And I think I have @Hunterex hooked on now to build MSG Gordon's rifle as well with another of those custom barrels and collars. I'm not sure Ron is going to do more honestly, and of the 10 or so he was making I know 3 are already taken. But with a .30 cal AEM5, AE22, or an AE30 or similar can one should have the right length to exactly match the old OPS Inc cans. An AEM5 will be really close but about 2" or so shorter.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 5:13:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Flyit14] [#7]

Well, I will say that you might hate it that some OG style barrels are coming from Ron Allen, with old style collars and everything, to replicate the old 723 and 727s with the original OPS Inc can (not actually the 3rd Model, older). It'll be a 12.5", has a 3 piece collar where the 2 old style parts slip over the tapered collar so it looks like the old clamp on 2 and 3 piece ones.

Honestly, stick with what you got. I'm still waiting for more clarification as to the actual status and configuration of MSG Gordon's 723 in terms of paint and if it was a 5000. It probably was because per Augee most of SFOD had 5K by then, with a small sprinkling of 3K around. But the paint seems to have always been a question, whether he painted the whole gun, just the handguards and stock, or if it was just black. Same with Shughart's M14/M21, did it have a scope vs an Aimpoint 3K or 5K. I keep hearing there will someday be something that will shine some light on the issue but I've yet to hear it actually coming out.

And I think I have @Hunterex hooked on now to build MSG Gordon's rifle as well with another of those custom barrels and collars. I'm not sure Ron is going to do more honestly, and of the 10 or so he was making I know 3 are already taken. But with a .30 cal AEM5, AE22, or an AE30 or similar can one should have the right length to exactly match the old OPS Inc cans. An AEM5 will be really close but about 2" or so shorter.
View Quote
That's interesting, I didn't know Ron was making those barrels. I probably wouldn't go for one just because I have this build and because of $$$ or lack there of.

That said I've shot this configuration and its really over gassed. Lots of gas to the face. And unsuppressed of course its way loud (I have the ops inc brake under there).

I'd be interested to see what Ron is making though.

EDIT: are there any pictures of them? I haven't seen anything on Ron's facebook or anywhere else on the web.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 6:38:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Check out Amherst Depot for the A1 rear sight parts. I recently got a NOS parts kit in a sealed bag dated 1974.

Amherst Depot
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 7:23:22 PM EDT
[#9]
That's interesting, I didn't know Ron was making those barrels. I probably wouldn't go for one just because I have this build and because of $$$ or lack there of.

That said I've shot this configuration and its really over gassed. Lots of gas to the face. And unsuppressed of course its way loud (I have the ops inc brake under there).

EDIT: are there any pictures of them? I haven't seen anything on Ron's facebook or anywhere else on the web.
View All Quotes

There's an Allen Engineering / Ops Inc owners group he posts in. I'm sure y'all will see them in here soon
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 2:13:30 AM EDT
[#10]
There's an Allen Engineering / Ops Inc owners group he posts in. I'm sure y'all will see them in here soon
View All Quotes

He won't do a limited run of "retro" "3rd model" clones for a 14.5"? I would pony up for one... 12.5" barrel? Gay.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 6:50:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By USGI:

He won't do a limited run of "retro" "3rd model" clones for a 14.5"? I would pony up for one... 12.5" barrel? Gay.
View Quote
He refuses to do the old mounting system, because the system sucked. They were pre-3rd model before ron came onboard.

Can rarely would come off so who gives a shit. No other way to replicate it short 100% doing it yourself on a Form 1.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 10:20:25 AM EDT
[#12]
http://i.imgur.com/0OItyTI.jpg

Been a while since I checked on this thread. This is the current state of my attempt at cloning Gary Gordon's suppressed 723.

I painted it like the movie one for fun. But this is a C7 upper. Unlike the movie guns A2.

Mine is a 12.5" barrel to mount the aem5 as close to the FSB as possible. The real one was probably a 14.5" barrel with an ops Inc 3rd model. But this is as close as I'm going to get.

Now I need to track down an A1 rear sight assembly and and aimpoint 5000 and mount. No luck finding one recently.
View Quote
@Flyit14

JSE Surplus has A1 Rear Sights. I doubt they're real Colt but they're close enough.

https://www.jsesurplus.com/a1rearsightassy.aspx
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 12:44:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Soon.jpg

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/15/2019 4:31:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lancecriminal86] [#14]
WIP 75th Rangers RRD 727

Still VERY much WIP, placeholder FSB used just to mock it up, barrel needs coating and maybe some light reprofiling, obviously needs an A1 lower stamped, and the optic rail will be temporary until it is modified or the right one is sourced.

Oh, and long term I plan to order an Allen Engineering can of the same dimensions as the Ops Inc original, with the right knurling. AEM5 will stand in for now but the OG Ops can is about 10.5" long vs the almost 9" of the AEM5.

Originally posted on TOS as an RRD gun, RRD being 75th's Ranger Reconnaissance Detachment. 802xxxx SN range so an A2 marked A1 lower as seen on other Ranger 727s. Looks like a metal CAR stock but perhaps uncoated or the vinyl-acetate all wore off, still trying to decide there.

Posted elsewhere as 2/75 or 3/75 during Gothic Serpent/TF Ranger, a very close setup with different placement of the Aimpoint but a similar top rail.

Gents, can I get a reminder which sling that is that looped through the A-Frame? I feel like I've seen some kind of A2 sling adapter around just like this before that was "issued" instead of the old VN style slings we used on our USMC A2s.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 1:39:10 AM EDT
[#15]

That was cropped from a Ranger Vet's pic, from waiting for Haiti

Not a 727, but an M4A1 with the optics from the 727 era.

As for the sling, thats easy. The M203 adapter. During the A2 era, there was an issued adapter for the M203 to was basically an extender with A shaped ring that latched onto the FSB.

In later years, there was another sling adapter, that used a barrel clamp and steel cable but I think that is a post 911 thing.
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 9:04:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Any actual evidence of Gordon having a light on his rifle?  I know the movie prop has one but I've based my clone on the print.  I'm all done and just need to figure out if this is the last piece I need.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 6:36:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Need some confirmation from the hive: did the Rangers use Butler Creek flip caps on their SF 660s to prevent a "discharge" of light? I have a bunch of Colt parts raring to go.
Link Posted: 8/3/2019 8:10:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Coming along. Will remove the side swivel when I get the barrel buttoned up.  Got the rings, just need the 5000.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 8:56:12 PM EDT
[#19]
C7 lowers are on sale at Brownells for $79. Free shipping today.
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 10:08:50 PM EDT
[#20]

Not 100% Clone but the upper is coming together, just a quick mock-up before it goes out for pin & weld. Decided to run the CompM2 I’ve had forever instead of tracking down a 5000. Running it in a Leupold QRW ring which gets it pretty close to the #2 ARMs Mount. Undecided if I want to run it with the side sling swivel.

Decided to try and update the Surefire 660 so I dropped a Bright Flashlights/Malkoff M61 lamp in it. Throws 400~ Lumens and about 1.5 hours run time. I’m pretty impressed for $45.00...huge improvement over the P60 bulb that was in it.

I’ll post finished pics in a week or two...
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 9:24:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: retroguy] [#21]
Got my RO727 80% lower in hand yesterday. I will state for the record, while the laser engraving is good and what I wanted, that does NOT give the same effect as engraving done by a CNC. machine. Just my opinion.

I will be sending out for reprofiling soon.

Link Posted: 8/27/2019 4:57:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Man looks like I got mine together just in time for the rush.

Not technically an A2 because of the C7 upper. But it definitely fits in here.

Kind of wishing I had the cool little collar for the suppressor now. I assume Ron isn't making any more?
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 11:10:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LV1976] [#23]
Man looks like I got mine together just in time for the rush.

Not technically an A2 because of the C7 upper. But it definitely fits in here.

https://i.imgur.com/ahVTnOYh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/EOuVQA8h.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/P4v7imdh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/nezLbYYh.jpg

Kind of wishing I had the cool little collar for the suppressor now. I assume Ron isn't making any more?
View Quote
Looks great!  And for reference, Colt considers the 733 with the C7 upper part of the A2 family:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 7:53:12 AM EDT
[#24]
How come nobody's done one using an ACOG?
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 9:03:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:
View Quote
This, especially a TA44
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 9:13:29 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote
I sort of did

A2's and Optics by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 2:27:45 AM EDT
[#27]

Gorgeous!
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 11:53:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By myitinaw:

Gorgeous!
View Quote
If that was for me - thank you Sir!
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 11:45:34 AM EDT
[#29]
View Quote
@RTUtah  I've been strongly considering a 727 SEAL style with CH mounted ACOG and fixed A1 or A2 stock...
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 10:49:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Does 90 dollars seem like a good price for surefire 660s?, These guys have quite of few of them for sale

https://www.proxibid.com/Firearms-Military-Artifacts/Firearms/LOT-22029-SUREFIRE-660-WEAPONS-LIGHT-W-P60-BULB-WEAVER/item-information/50873111
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 8:39:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By polishkebasa:
Does 90 dollars seem like a good price for surefire 660s?, These guys have quite of few of them for sale

https://www.proxibid.com/Firearms-Military-Artifacts/Firearms/LOT-22029-SUREFIRE-660-WEAPONS-LIGHT-W-P60-BULB-WEAVER/item-information/50873111
View Quote
It's a good price for what they go for on eBay.  I paid $165 for the exact same thing in your link 6 months back on eBay because I just wanted to finish my 727 build.  That Sierra Auction place is right down the street from me, I wonder if I could drop by and look at items up for sale.  In any case, here's my 727:

Link Posted: 9/6/2019 9:38:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: polishkebasa] [#32]
Originally Posted By DStepec:
It's a good price for what they go for on eBay.  I paid $165 for the exact same thing in your link 6 months back on eBay because I just wanted to finish my 727 build.  That Sierra Auction place is right down the street from me, I wonder if I could drop by and look at items up for sale.  In any case, here's my 727:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48691087157_2bd7b41ee3.jpg
View All Quotes

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48691087157_2bd7b41ee3.jpg
Nice 727, I am probably going to pick one up for my 733 pistol as well as one of their 870P's, yeah the last listing I saw for a basic 6p with no mount or switch was like 150+ bucks
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 2:11:36 AM EDT
[#33]

View Quote
Well I purchased one.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 9:56:17 AM EDT
[#34]
I should edit my previous post to say I TRIED to order one. Sent a purchase request to the seller 9/6 and got an email this morning after receiving no correspondence from them, saying my offer had expired. Now checking the website there aren’t any available. Anyone else have a similar issue or successfully purchase?
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 10:24:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Usmcmatt90:
I should edit my previous post to say I TRIED to order one. Sent a purchase request to the seller 9/6 and got an email this morning after receiving no correspondence from them, saying my offer had expired. Now checking the website there aren’t any available. Anyone else have a similar issue or successfully purchase?
View Quote
I did not get to order a 660 from them but I ordered a 870 police mag from them Sunday and have had no response, the listing for the gun I offered on is also gone
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 2:39:07 PM EDT
[#36]

I did not get to order a 660 from them but I ordered a 870 police mag from them Sunday and have had no response, the listing for the gun I offered on is also gone
View Quote
I noticed that this morning as well. I wanted to get over there today to their physical location but can’t make it. Might try tomorrow. Wanted to put eyes on products before buying if possible. Also noticed this morning all items are MIA.
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 6:18:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Okay I contacted the listing company for the Surefire 660’s. Long story short they weren’t ready to list them and pulled the listings prematurely. According to Andy in the firearms division of the auction house they have “hundreds” and will be listing soon. Maybe a .mil surplus lot? I still have questions about being function tested and guarantees and all that.

Link Posted: 9/12/2019 7:08:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Okay I contacted the listing company for the Surefire 660’s. Long story short they weren’t ready to list them and pulled the listings prematurely. According to Andy in the firearms division of the auction house they have “hundreds” and will be listing soon. Maybe a .mil surplus lot? I still have questions about being function tested and guarantees and all that.
View Quote
I for one think $90 is a decent deal, specially for an item you don’t see that often anymore. It took me a weeks of sourcing to put together a mock 660, with a true Surefire M14, older XM07 and a Surefire 6P (all new in box/wrapper), costing me around $150.

Link Posted: 9/14/2019 9:42:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By SMart:

I for one think $90 is a decent deal, specially for an item you don’t see that often anymore. It took me a weeks of sourcing to put together a mock 660, with a true Surefire M14, older XM07 and a Surefire 6P (all new in box/wrapper), costing me around $150.

https://i.imgur.com/rJcbFej.jpg
View Quote
what barrel is on that?
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 11:22:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By togadelic:

what barrel is on that?
View Quote
Colt LW 16” with a 1x9 twist.

Basically a 6520 upper with a 1x9 twist.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 8:57:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BurtSaun1049] [#41]
/SNIP

View Quote
Sure he is. Just ask him.
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 12:48:34 PM EDT
[#42]

Someone asked for ACOG.

This one is all Colt, and based on a rifle I saw while deployed to Bosnia in 1995-96.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 2:10:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Kinda IDF but that can be changed very quickly. Also for sale.

Link Posted: 10/2/2019 8:54:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Here’s a link to the Surefire flashlights in case anyone is interested!

https://m.proxibid.com/category/resources/mobile/seller.html?companyId=1736#company|1736|allSellers|pricehightolow||51748230|6|51748233||51748230
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 11:38:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Here’s a link to the Surefire flashlights in case anyone is interested!

https://m.proxibid.com/category/resources/mobile/seller.html?companyId=1736#company|1736|allSellers|pricehightolow||51748230|6|51748233||51748230
View Quote
Nice to see them back, gonna grab one, the large modern tail cap ,wasn't introduced till the 2000's correct?

I wish they had sold to me the 870 p and 660  I bid on back In  September as I wanted to  use them in the retrowave match.
I may still put a 660 on my 733 pistol and shoot it in a night match in December for the hell of itp

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 12:45:21 PM EDT
[#46]
26 years ago today

Link Posted: 10/4/2019 12:31:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 5:46:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PerfectTurn] [#48]

Nice to see them back, gonna grab one, the large modern tail cap ,wasn't introduced till the 2000's correct?

I wish they had sold to me the 870 p and 660  I bid on back In  September as I wanted to  use them in the retrowave match.
I may still put a 660 on my 733 pistol and shoot it in a night match in December for the hell of itp

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/454522/IMG_20190926_222417725_2_jpg-1111032.JPG
View Quote
I went to their Phoenix location today to check out the lights in person and an 870P. I function tested all of the 660s and they work just fine. Pay close attention to the lens, pressure pad cap connection and general wear. One lens (I forgot the lot number) is melted in the dead center, so be on the lookout for that one. Otherwise they’re all in great condition with varying degrees of wear, none new, all very good+ though!

Walked out with the 3 cleanest lights and a really nice 870P with the surefire forend and some beefy sights for $400 cash total out the door. Definitely a legit outfit, they were packing up a couple lights they jacked from my ‘clean pile’. Not sure if one of you bought an old style tailcap and someone with a new style tailcap, but they pulled them from my clean pile so you are good to go there.
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 8:56:14 PM EDT
[#49]

I went to their Phoenix location today to check out the lights in person and an 870P. I function tested all of the 660s and they work just fine. Pay close attention to the lens, pressure pad cap connection and general wear. One lens (I forgot the lot number) is melted in the dead center, so be on the lookout for that one. Otherwise they’re all in great condition with varying degrees of wear, none new, all very good+ though!

Walked out with the 3 cleanest lights and a really nice 870P with the surefire forend and some beefy sights for $400 cash total out the door. Definitely a legit outfit, they were packing up a couple lights they jacked from my ‘clean pile’. Not sure if one of you bought an old style tailcap and someone with a new style tailcap, but they pulled them from my clean pile so you are good to go there.
View Quote
Thanks for the update, brother. While I think they’re a great buy, I personally am going to pass right now. Pretty happy with my current setup on my A2. I also have an old UM tailcap on the way so...

Now, if I lived in close proximity to the place like yourself...yeah I wouldn’t be able to hold off on the 660’s and a scattergun...or 2...of each. Great deal you got.
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 9:19:44 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote
Thanks for the intel. I've actually haven't ordered one yet, was going to last night but fell asleep, will get one tonight for my 733 or maybe a future 723/727.

I'm guessing there isa discount in person, shipping and all that. I'm not sure if I'll pick up a 870 or not, the match I was going to use it in was last week and I need to budget anyway as I've spent about as much as I can on my poor student budget recently.

The sad thing is before they pulled the listings I had opened every 870 listing that had in a separate tabs and went through every single one.

Did you notice that all the 870s with scattergun tech sights(ie non winged) had melted buttpads?
Page / 77
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top