BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 77
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 2:26:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Have any period photos of the 733 ever shown up??
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 11:43:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: imdBman] [#2]
Why can't I see the current post by M4A1.  The A2 Build Forum shows he posted but the last post on the page is 3/5/2017.
ETA: Strange! After posting this, page 23 was available.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 11:54:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I noticed the same thing. Weird.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 2:57:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 3:42:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HardShell:
I applied the "fix" but everything looked okay to me, from here. 
View Quote

That's 'cause you got the magic power.

Before I reported the thread, I even tried to go to page 23 by manually changing the link in the address bar and it took me to page 12. Thanks for fixing it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 11:25:30 AM EDT
[#6]

More BHD inspired and not exactly 100% correct but I like it.

Colt 6400 lower
Colt N1 stock
Colt A1/C7 upper, later production with M4 feed ramps
Colt 14.5" M4 profile barrel with pinned A2X flash hider
Colt 6 hole handguards
Colt side sling swivel
Surefire barrel light mount with Streamlight Rail Mount 2 light
Frank Proctor Way of the Gun sling

Eventually I'm going to put a Aimpoint PRO on the carry handle and call it complete at that point.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 7:56:54 PM EDT
[#7]
That is so nice!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:38:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: survivor45] [#8]
OK rear sight question.
Would the 727 have an 8/3 or 6/3 elevation drum ?
Does it really matter if it's an 8/3 ?
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 11:15:06 PM EDT
[#9]
727 used standard A2 upper, so 8/3.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 11:18:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By retroguy:
727 used standard A2 upper, so 8/3.
View Quote
That was kinda my thought  .
Thanks
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:20:49 PM EDT
[#11]
This thread has inspired me to do a car15 build...   last night I took my old Aimpoint 3000 (silver) off of my muzzle loader (odd I know). I had put the 3000 on there in the early 90's and forgot about it... it is silver so it will need a paint job, but it does work.
I had the muzzle loader on my table at a show last weekend. Asking $100 for the entire combo lol . Looks like the scope is worth that by itself.

I have a donor AR, but I will need a mount and rings. I may be able to dig the box up and see if the original rings are in the box.

Is the ARMS mount the one to get ? What rings?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 7:05:47 PM EDT
[#12]
PM,

Get rings that fit the tube body, ones that mate to a Weaver/Picatinny mount. The mount should be a simple squared see-through "tube" mount.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:14:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By pinmaster:
This thread has inspired me to do a car15 build...   last night I took my old Aimpoint 3000 (silver) off of my muzzle loader (odd I know). I had put the 3000 on there in the early 90's and forgot about it... it is silver so it will need a paint job, but it does work.
I had the muzzle loader on my table at a show last weekend. Asking $100 for the entire combo lol . Looks like the scope is worth that by itself.

I have a donor AR, but I will need a mount and rings. I may be able to dig the box up and see if the original rings are in the box.

View Quote
I know of at least one pic of a SEAL using a silver Aimpoint on an A1. The Arms is an A2 I think.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 2:25:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Joescuba] [#14]
Originally Posted By pinmaster:

View Quote
Some of the mounts we used were from Smith Enterprises. We also used the some ARMS brand mounts.  What every came out of the package.  They were listed as STANAG scope mounts.  We also used the old Tasco Pro scopes on the MP5SD3s and Carbines before and during the Desert Shield/Storm.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 4:25:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 4:59:56 PM EDT
[#16]
VERY nice!! ......lever action bayonet?
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 10:50:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gunnut003] [#17]
Aimpoint 3000 on eBay , item number 112381620847 that went for $435...another for $387

What in the actual wtf?

Glad I got mine for a quarter of that each,

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 12:36:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: imdBman] [#18]
BAD LINK^^^^
ETA: Sorry I got th bad link again
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 1:02:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By imdBman:
BAD LINK^^^^^
View Quote
Fixed...I guess the "m." For mobile, throws an extra "eBay.com" in the mix
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 1:32:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gunnut003] [#20]
Here Is the scope that came in today for me...kinda wish I would have got the second one also.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

It is a 1995 date code but I might sneak it on a BHD Clone anyway...the '89 10x M3A seems kinda much even if correct on a 727.

Or it may just spawn into an M24 as it was originally designed anyway.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 12:10:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#21]
Originally Posted By gunnut003:

Here Is the scope that came in today for me...kinda wish I would have got the second one also.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/64672/image-199768.JPG

It is a 1995 date code but I might sneak it on a BHD Clone anyway...the '89 10x M3A seems kinda much even if correct on a 727.

Or it may just spawn into an M24 as it was originally designed anyway.
View Quote
There's that pic of a dude with one top of his 727 with the built up cheek riser.  I think I posted it in here.  Or someone did.....  Or maybe not.   If you don't know what pic I'm talking about, I can post it.....

But yeah an M24 would be awesome too.  How much did you get it for?  I dig that scope terribly.  

Ooops, yeah, I was referring to the 10x.....  I just noticed the 3-6 after posting.  I didn't even know they made it in that power.  Interesting.  But yeah, that'd be cool.  Can we get a pic of the whole scope?
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 7:51:55 PM EDT
[#22]
WOW! Maybe I should put mine up for sale!
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 7:39:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By M4A1SOPMOD:
VERY nice!! ......lever action bayonet?
View Quote
Here is a better shot of the knuckle duster grip.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 1:13:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MDStroup] [#24]
Originally Posted By Wildcat78:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2930/33113645123_91a531072b_o.jpg

More BHD inspired and not exactly 100% correct but I like it.

Colt 6400 lower
Colt N1 stock
Colt A1/C7 upper, later production with M4 feed ramps
Colt 14.5" M4 profile barrel with pinned A2X flash hider
Colt 6 hole handguards
Colt side sling swivel
Surefire barrel light mount with Streamlight Rail Mount 2 light
Frank Proctor Way of the Gun sling

Eventually I'm going to put a Aimpoint PRO on the carry handle and call it complete at that point.
View Quote
Dont want this thread to fall victim to the archives.

This looks awesome. Hopefully mine will be done some day soon.

How do you like that sling? I just found out about it and i keep seeing  on retro and classic guns.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 1:46:55 AM EDT
[#25]
I need to buy a sling and redo the muzzle device on mine and I will be done.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 8:40:16 AM EDT
[#26]
can someone point me in the right direction for a guide to building a "Somalia" correct sling for a 727 similar to what is shown in BHD?
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 10:17:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By merchantoffreedom:
can someone point me in the right direction for a guide to building a "Somalia" correct sling for a 727 similar to what is shown in BHD?
View Quote
Dunno about what was shown in the movie, if that's what you mean. But if you go back to Page 19 of this thread, you can see my posts trying to figure how to make an era appropriate quick adjust sling for my 723, using an M1 Carbine Sling, and an Alice Pack Shoulder Strap.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:17:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Besides buying the NDS two-position buffer tube, would it be kosher to buy a current mil-spec tube, then JBWeld one of two of the holes?
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:32:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 8:42:28 AM EDT
[#30]
View Quote
Dude, wtf is wrong with your toenails?

(nice gat)
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 9:07:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By grondike:
Dude, wtf is wrong with your toenails?
View Quote
furious bodypaint artist
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 10:47:28 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote
Super great.  Love it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 10:52:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Those look like those toe fitting rubber soled shoes that so many wear for hiking and running these days.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 7:00:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: merchantoffreedom] [#34]
my BHD 727 "Hoot" inspired build

Link Posted: 9/14/2017 1:13:34 PM EDT
[#35]
What barrel did you use?  Very awesome build.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 1:49:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By JJREA:
What barrel did you use?  Very awesome build.
View Quote
Green Mountain M4 1/7 14.5"
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 2:41:19 PM EDT
[#37]

Green Mountain M4 1/7 14.5"
View Quote
Awesome. How is the accuracy and who did the A2 front sight?
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:39:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: merchantoffreedom] [#38]
Originally Posted By MDStroup:

View Quote
Haven't shot it yet

John Thomas at RetroArmsWorks did the pin and weld and FSB install
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 2:10:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Haven't shot it yet

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Haven't shot it yet

Nice. I may have to talk to him. Hiw much did he quote you?
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:30:18 PM EDT
[#40]
So this started off as just parts I had laying around. And those parts were not really worth selling.
After putting it together I realized I sorta have a 727. Then I stumbled across an Aimpoint 2000 ($24.00)
And from there it was game on! Assembled the sling. Found a Surfire 6P and barrel mount. Then later I found
this surefire classic ($25.00). And here it is. This is just an Inspired build. Sadly the only Colt parts are
the upper, charging handle, the pistol grip. And New Old Stock Large Head Forward Assist.
Other parts: 80% lower, Unknown lower parts kit, DSA Sstl barrel pined. Larue BCG, Unknown skinny handguards
Older unknown two position buffer tube and aluminum CAR stock.
I will certainly swap out odd parts for Colt if I happen to stumble across them for a decent price.
I am very happy with it. Its a shooter/BFPU.  
This is a great thread and I hope we can get back all those very informative photos.
Thanks to all the people above me.  
IMG_2069 by A D, on Flickr
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:34:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Awwww yeah.  Great deal on the 2000.  I think I'm going to start looking for one.  I saw one on ebay for less than I thought they we would be going for.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:01:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tweeter] [#42]
Originally Posted By survivor45:
So this started off as just parts I had laying around. And those parts were not really worth selling.
After putting it together I realized I sorta have a 727. Then I stumbled across an Aimpoint 2000 ($24.00)
And from there it was game on! Assembled the sling. Found a Surfire 6P and barrel mount. Then later I found
this surefire classic ($25.00). And here it is. This is just an Inspired build. Sadly the only Colt parts are
the upper, charging handle, the pistol grip. And New Old Stock Large Head Forward Assist.
Other parts: 80% lower, Unknown lower parts kit, DSA Sstl barrel pined. Larue BCG, Unknown skinny handguards
I will certainly swap out odd parts for Colt if I happen to stumble across them for a decent price.
This is a great thread and I hope we can get back all those very informative photos.
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4407/37124893266_e6b089b6eb_h.jpgIMG_2069 by A D, on Flickr
View All Quotes
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4407/37124893266_e6b089b6eb_h.jpgIMG_2069 by A D, on Flickr
I just threw down $200+ for a 3000 in amazing condition

Originally Posted By DaveP1:
Those look like those toe fitting rubber soled shoes that so many wear for hiking and running these days.
Those signs you see on store doors that say "no shoes, no shirt, no service"
That's how I get around 'em
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:41:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By tweeter:

View Quote
I love the "search" for good deals and parts.  But honestly my only knowledge of these early Aimpoints was/is from this thread.
I could not believe this one was so cheap. But clearly the gentleman who was selling it did not go on eBay for a price check.
And it works great.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 11:00:41 AM EDT
[#44]
I love the "search" for good deals and parts.  But honestly my only knowledge of these early Aimpoints was/is from this thread.
I could not believe this one was so cheap. But clearly the gentleman who was selling it did not go on eBay for a price check.
And it works great.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tweeter:

And it works great.
I'm glad you got it for that price.  I had another 3000, but it shit the bed.  
No idea what I'm gonna do with the old one, maybe try to fix it.  If I go that route I'll try to upgrade the rheostat to something that's not so mushy or will move out of range.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 11:24:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By mech4matsnova:
What mount is that on the FSB?
View Quote
It's an old bayonet mount.  There are two pawls that brace against the top and back of the bayonet lugs.  A simple bolt and nylok nut hold it in place.  They were "local construction" mounts, I think I picked mine up at the fab shop at Ft Bragg.  In like, around late 1993.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:33:01 PM EDT
[#46]
View Quote
@survivor45

That gun is fucking awesome!!!!!

But what is that sling?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:29:44 PM EDT
[#47]

@survivor45

That gun is fucking awesome!!!!!

But what is that sling?
View Quote
Thanks !
The sling is an Alice Pack shoulder strap and a standard Mil Issue black cotton sling.
Again all ideas I got from this thread.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 11:50:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tweeter] [#48]

I'm still waiting on some Weaver low rings and an IR tip-off to fix the light, it's on a medium right now

I also have another set of vert-split Weaver rings that aren't painted.  Just in case the painted ones damage delicate sensibilities
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 9:12:07 PM EDT
[#49]
IF I can ever get going on my 727, y'all will NOT believe some of the parts I managed to find for it.

Yes, I know, being a tease. My bad.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 11:40:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By retroguy:
IF I can ever get going on my 727, y'all will NOT believe some of the parts I managed to find for it.

Yes, I know, being a tease. My bad.
View Quote
I'm waiting on my lower, but I have absolutely everything Colt, pre 1993, as correct as they can be.

What I don't have is Aimpoint or light etc.
Page / 77
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top